cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Today's the day to start a whole new vista of Vs!

• Victoria and Vatican;
  • Valparaiso and Vancouver;
  • Volcano and Vampire;
  • Vaquero and Vamp;
  • Vane and Vat;
  • Valentino and Voldemort.

Can we find some of the interesting philatelia to illustrate this letter?  Let's give it an old college try!  We did get a goodly run of Us last week.

jimbo

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

V is for Virgin Islands (British, that is)

Tortola is where one starts visits to the British Virgin Islands. It's a delightful port to board a charter sailboat for one of the most delightful adventures you've ever had - excellent provisioning - warm, crystal clear water and white sands - lots of gunkholes to explore. This 2½d postal card from June 14, 1902, was addressed to a soldier at the barracks in St. Thomas, Danish West Indies. The two islands are close enough that a strong swimmer can swim between the closest point between the two but sailing is more fun.  (I should point out that I can't find a reference for the A91 obliterator.)

061402birginislands.jpg 

jimbo

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Valparaiso, Chile.

Cancelers made by Güller starting 1883 and making small lots of them until 1899.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Venuzuela, 1936

Güller providing sample cancelers in 1936 to Venezuela. A total of 8 devices.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Jim, Reference to A91 can be found in the book "Numeral Cancellations of the British Empire", which lists all obliterators and numerals.

A91 was first used as a mailboat cancel by the Cunard line from 1859 to 1870.  Stamps of GB bearing an A91 cancel are mailboat cancels (see below).  

From 1858 to 1860, GB stamps were used at Tortola, and they were cancelled by an "A13" obliterator.  

Sometime around 1870,  Tortola started using the A91 to cancel stamps.

A91.jpg

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

bwiphilately,

Thanks for that input.  I had no luck on the internet resources and I don't have that reference in the library.  I do have references which cover Jamaica, however. 😉

jimbo

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

V for Victoria and for VR

Cover from a royal household with London hooded circle and VR crest

GBQVScroll.jpg

Cheers
Peter -British Central Africa - Follow the logo for the Yellow Boxes
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Holy mackeral! Sure, it's pretty, but 2 thousand clams? Any GB collectors out there to weigh in on this cover's value?
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Hi JIm,

A quick look at the auction tells your image is Plate 11. Gibbons catalogue says it is from an original plate for black printings. Also has blue cancel with significant premium. All told £250 in a 1998 catalogue, and remember Gibbons never goes down.

There is an additional premium for Oct 5 since serious bidding is expected for this item. ); >)

Hows it going?

Here's a Vicky page from my Hotel Schweizerhof exhibit.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Hi Roger....

How are you?  I am doing well, moving around, still using the motorcycle, now with a disabled parking plate since I have to carry crutches full time!  I can walk without them, but am in too much danger of tripping and fallling.

Nice Vickis you're showing there...

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

You are one for the records. I'll bet every time someone sees you pull into a handicap space and get off your bike they think - what the heck, hasn't that guy learned his lesson. Three months later they think - sure taking him a long time to recover, and after a year they're ready to have a talk with you. LOL  Glad you are getting around and still searching eBay. 

For you - 5 October 1878 Zürich to New York.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

V is for...

Vanuatu's Volcano post.

Cancel on back of postcard:

VolcanoPost_PPC_back_handstamp.jpg

Other side of postcard:

VolcanoPost_PPC_Yasur.jpg

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Today in Postal History

October 16, 1903

Dimboola, Victoria, Australia, to Buenos Aires, Argentina
111 years ago today.

V is for Victoria

101603victoriaaust.jpg

This U.P.U. postcard originated in Dimboola - a small town 240 miles northwest of Melbourne, Victoria. There is a Dimboola CDS dated October 16, 1903, on the lower left front. Careful inspection shows that under the Montevideo transit mark there is also a duplex cancel for Kornheim, which is not a town. It appears to be a station designator in Dimboola. Kornheim is a road in the area. This is a bit hard to understand due to the small size of the town but it is there.

The next stop was noted by an Auckland, New Zealand, transit mark dated October 24. The date for its arrival in Montevideo en route to Buenos Aires was marked by a transit mark but the dating is illegible. There are no Argentinian markings.

Just a neat solution for October 16 and for V.

jimbo

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Upgraded Mac to Yosemite tonight all seems goodSmiley Very Happy

V is for Voortrekker Centenary cover

Voortrekker.jpg

Cheers
Peter -British Central Africa - Follow the logo for the Yellow Boxes
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

V is for Victoria Vancouver Island

VictoriaCover.jpg

Message 15 of 18
latest reply