cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Failure to Scan after package pickup

I am getting a few packages out of a batch that do not get the initial scan from USPS. Others in the same batch get scanned and delievered. USPS is apparently in a real mess.

How can sellers be held responsible when USPS fails in their service and eBay actually supplies the USPS service and charges commission on the shipping costs.

My funds are held in pending when a buyer puts in an Item Not Received request - all happening on these unscanned packages. This is totally out of seller control. I can prove my deliveries to the Postal pickup as I book the delivery, and can show that parts of the delivery were scanned and others not. Some items even delivered.

Now I take photos of the packages before I give them to the carrier.

eBay says get a detailed delivery sheet from USPS, but you cannot do that on the eBay site when you purchase labels. If you buy your labels on USPS and pay full price you can get the list. However if as I do, include shipping in the cost, you get hit for commission on the shipping cost, plus full cost. Big losses there.

Time for eBay to take USPS to task and do something about this failure to scan the packages.

If you have the same issue, please make it known here.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Have the same issue and many others. eBay ignores the fact that even during normal times the USPS sucks. Have one item that was actually delivered over a week ago, but still shows as Out for Delivery. Have a batch of items from 12/1 that were origin scanned randomly over the course of several days, including a Sunday. Should be easy for eBay to figure out and understand that retail post offices don't operate on Sunday. The USPS also fails to scan point to point, so you can have an origin scan (if you're lucky) and then no scan until delivery. I've gotten figged for what is the USPS incompetence.

In the midst of all of this, I shipped a package FedEx Home Delivery due to crazy USPS DIMM rate on the package.  It got there ON TIME without a hitch. Seriously considering abandoning USPS on January 1st - if not sooner.

Meanwhile, eBay needs to implement a blanket suspension of Shipping metric requirements for the entirety of December (including retroactively).

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

How can sellers be responsible??

Correct question is how can the NOT be responsible.

Do not use drop off and expect to get scanned.

Photo of the package is useless.

No delivery scan: USPS says no delivery and therefore no package.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

That is not new. It's just that it's gotten worse.  USPS always use to say it was NOT tracking only delivery conformation.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

I also noticed that usps is lying about the delivery being done. I have had items shown to be delivered to me (I bought) but instead, a few days later it miraculously arrived here.  I contacted usps, and they said they couldn't help me because thier scanners show it was delivered already to which it wasn't.   I also had a customer give me a bad mark because he didnt recieve his two items in the same package.  I told him that once it leaves our facility, I have no recourse to know where the items are. And of course usps showed through the scanner that the package was delivered on a sunday!  I told the customer to wait a few days and sure nough, it showed up on the following thursday.

I had to put a note in the email sent to the buyer after payment to ashow that usps and ALL shippers are taking thier time and **bleep** the senders on excessive fees for anything reason they can come up with.

So, save time, write a note in the email that goes to the buyer when they buy the item explaining that once it leaves your facility that there is nothing you can do except to file a lost claim after 7 business days of being late and that all package delivery companies are lying about the delivery dates.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Ditto 

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Most—if not ALL—of my USPS shipments have the "USPS In Possession of Item" scan the same day or next business day after I drop it off in the package receptacle at my Post Office. However, the problem I am seeing is that many of packages fall off the radar after "Depart Post Office" or "Depart USPS Facility".

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

This is not just a USPS issue. I've had it with the other postal services, as well, and you will just go around in circles with them.  'It was shipped!' 'No, it wasn't. Our system shows it was never picked up.' 'They even say they got the order!' 'No, it was never picked up.'  The tracking will forever be in limbo. 

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

My local post office has been taking days to scan packages into the system.  One package was not scanned in for 9 days so it looks like I had not sent it.  Before this month, I would leave mail in my mailbox and never had a problem with getting a scan.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

YooHoo! Ebay! Are you seeing this?? Origin scans can no longer be held against the sellers this holiday season. It's going to hurt to many sellers. Most of my packages took 6-7 days before a single scan. It's crazy.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

There’s an extra fee for tracking. I know it’s not a lot, but if they are not tracking the items, shouldn’t that part of the shipping fee be refunded

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

I arrange pick up at the house daily.  THe mail lady scans them as she is putting them in the truck.  It took a conversation with her so she understood the importance of the scan.  SHe has also trained her substitute to scan the items as well.

THe other day her truck wsa full.  she scanned the packages as accepted then I drove them to the PO dock.  All it takes is a conversation I have found.  I would NEVER drop off a package in the drop off box.

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Ebay does not have that power. Not the River either. No one does. Nothing will be done. It will get better due to Christmas rush

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Just spoke to our local USPS Postmaster and we were told that  "We are unable to physically force the Carrier to comply to this daily function of scanning in daily (Scheduled) pickups". On March 20 & 21, 2021 Ebay states that we had 9 packages "Uploaded on time but no carrier scan". Our Postmaster stated that the USPS has no department to report this Carrier failure. Sounds like we are SOL.

I have spend three hours on this issues and now I'm behind on creating postage for Ebay Sales that may/may not get scanned in .  FYI Today's Scheduled pick made about 3 hours ago was NOT scanned upon pickup ... as usual.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

I know this is a old comment but I am having this very same issue and I'm unable to get to the post office to stand in line to get my package scanned every time I ship one. I just recently had 2 packages picked up 2 completely different orders and people. One of them of course the cheapest one was scanned at pickup and shows tracking. But the $400 package was never scanned which doesn't make sense since they were picked up together. It has been 36 hours since they were picked up and it still says USPS awaiting package. This is a nightmare for a seller even if the post office reimburse you for the $400 item you refund the buyer the $400 but then you have no product left so you are out the amount of money you paid for the item. Say it's a $300 item you sold for $400 you are on the hook for the $400. You get the money from the post office for the $400 you refund the buyer now you are out the $300 product you bought to sell so you still get screwed. There should be some kind of system in place where if the postal worker doesn't scan the packages at pickup they get a strike against them. If they do it so many times bye bye you are fired that's the only way I can see the issue from happening 

Message 15 of 20
latest reply