cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ShipCover Insurance Claim Not Being Verified

I mailed 2 items to a buyer, and she emailed me through ebay messages that 1 was broken when she opened the box.   She basically blamed my packaging (although I haven't had a broken item in 10 years) and wanted an immediate partial refund.  I asked her for a photo of the damage, and she said she didn't have anyway to take a picture.  I called ebay and the CSR said to refund her and file an insurance claim.  I filed a claim with ShipCover as soon as possible.  That was almost 2 weeks ago, and when I checked on the claim status this morning, it shows that it's still awaiting the buyers verification.  I have emailed this buyer twice with no response, and after getting her phone number I called and left a message on her answering machine, still no response.  I doubt that she's going to do anything with the verification request since she already has her refund.  Is there any chance I'm going to receive a reimbursement from ShipCover?  It's not a huge amount of money,  but every little bit helps.  I called ShipCover, but the rep wasn't very helpful,  she just said to wait until the claim ending date and call back then.  Thank you for any help.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: ShipCover Insurance Claim Not Being Verified

It has been a very, very long time since I have had to file an insurance claim although I do occasionally purchase insurance from Shipsaver through my Inkfrog account.  Before the verification process became an online process you would need to mail or fax the required documents.  I would often have buyers who would either refuse or not know how to get the form back to me. Instead I would submit to the insurer a copy of the message the buyer sent stating damage or loss (well actually loss, never had a damage claim and your buyer stating you didn't pack well isn't going to help).   As well as a copy of the Paypal refund.   They always accepted this and would honor my claim.   Not sure if you have a way to do that with Shipcover,  but just a suggestion.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 15 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Have you lost any money?
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

silkwoodbeach wrote:ty

I mailed 2 items to a buyer, and she emailed me through ebay messages that 1 was broken when she opened the box.   She basically blamed my packaging (although I haven't had a broken item in 10 years) and wanted an immediate partial refund.  I asked her for a photo of the damage, and she said she didn't have anyway to take a picture.  I called ebay and the CSR said to refund her and file an insurance claim.  I filed a claim with ShipCover as soon as possible.  That was almost 2 weeks ago, and when I checked on the claim status this morning, it shows that it's still awaiting the buyers verification.  I have emailed this buyer twice with no response, and after getting her phone number I called and left a message on her answering machine, still no response.  I doubt that she's going to do anything with the verification request since she already has her refund.  Is there any chance I'm going to receive a reimbursement from ShipCover?  It's not a huge amount of money,  but every little bit helps.  I called ShipCover, but the rep wasn't very helpful,  she just said to wait until the claim ending date and call back then.  Thank you for any help.

A bit off topic but why ShipCover?

It's an eBay default which raises a bit of a flag, cost more than than ShipSaver or U-PIC, is underwritten by Interstate Fire & Casuality (Fireman's Fund) rather than Lloyd's & when I see a complaint about a 3rd party insurer, it's generally ShipCover.

Your choice so just letting you know there are other options.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

I used ShipCover because it's recommended over USPS insurance; I didn't know about ShipSaver or U-Pic. This is the first time I've ever had to file a claim, so it's all new to me.
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Besides the insurances that were mentioned, some of us like to self insure instead. the price of items i see you sell would work good with self insurance.

what we do is everytime we sell/ship something, i put a dollar off to the side which is cheaper than most insurance you buy.  if you need to reimburse someone, you just pull the money out of that pile. But if you don't need it and after you built up a good pile to cover everything you have listed plus some then you can dip in it and use it for other things. if you give it to a third party and don't use it, you lose it, not when you self insure.

Most people that have problems with self insurance cause the problem themselves by not keeping up on the habit of putting money aside on each shipment.  if you keep it up, you should build up a pretty good savings.

With self insurance, you know you will never get denied but buying third party insurance you just never know for sure if you are covered or not and not find out until you make a claim. some reasons i see for claims denied are insufficient or poor packaging, filed for claim wrong,  item inside package is on their list of no insurance coverage and no you cannot get your money back if it is an uninsurable item, you need to know that before you buy it. these are only some of the reasons why insurance claims  might be denied and not all of them, just the ones i remember off the top of my head.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@silkwoodbeach wrote:
I used ShipCover because it's recommended over USPS insurance; I didn't know about ShipSaver or U-Pic. This is the first time I've ever had to file a claim, so it's all new to me.

I use ShipSaver for the few packages I insure & have had 2 claims in the last 7 or 8 years, both were paid right away.

I opted for ShipSaver because it's a 3rd party application (eBay>Applications) integrated with selling manager to the extent you can start it in eBay & import you sales or automantically (something I wouldn't do) insure every sale. 

Terms & costs for U-PIC are pretty much the same. If you do try one or the other, make sure you read the UA & are aware of the exclusions & limits.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

"This is the first time I've ever had to file a claim, so it's all new to me. "

and how many times did you buy insurance and never used it?  seeing you only needed it once, Self insurance might be a better way for you to go to save money.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

>>With self insurance, you know you will never get denied...

That may be your experience, but the last time I tried to make a self insurance claim he was a real jerk. Bullied me into taking the money out of my own wallet to pay myself off. I hate that guy 🙂
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

you better find a mirror and have a serious talk with that guy!  don't let him push you around, the wife maybe but not that guy!  🙂

i make him pay me from another source besides my own wallet to make me feel better(a little)  🙂   once in my wallet, that is sometimes considered investment money or in most cases my slush fund i can go blow depending where i am at, like an auction, resturant ,tavern, strip joint,  etc. i don't pay bills or claims out of the wallet.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

A small amount, but I really just wanted to hear if anyone else had this experience and the outcome.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

If the buyer hasn't filed a SNAD complaint, you haven't lost any money.
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@fuzzface50 wrote:

"This is the first time I've ever had to file a claim, so it's all new to me. "

and how many times did you buy insurance and never used it?  seeing you only needed it once, Self insurance might be a better way for you to go to save money.

Please!

The only time I purchase insurance of any sort is if the state or a lender force me or there's a potential for a "catastrophic" loss & it makes me feel better. My risk tolerance goes down as my age goes up but that's where the "self insurance" argument becomes laughable. 

I'll answer the question though, I'm about even. The two claims I've filed roughly equal the premiums I've (actually the buyer) paid & I've never had a  concern if a package is going to arrive or not.

If it works for you to put a buck of every sale into a cookie (or beer fund) jar, more power to you but it doesn't for everyone & those who tout assuming the risk yourself as some magical business scheme only demonstrate they have little concept of risk management as it applies to the individual.

How much is a good night's sleep worth?

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

I don't believe you read the part that stated I'd already done a partial refund 🙂

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

next time, goad your buyer into opening a case

then when you refund, the pending defect vanishes

How does ShipCover verify my claim with the buyer?
After you file a claim, your buyer will have to verify that the item either did not arrive or was damaged in transit. There are two ways your buyer can verify your claim. One way is if your buyer opens a case in the eBay Resolution Center or with PayPal Buyer Protection for an item lost or damaged during shipping. If the buyer didn’t open a case in the Resolution Center, ShipCover will send an email to the buyer with details on how to complete the verification process.
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

It has been a very, very long time since I have had to file an insurance claim although I do occasionally purchase insurance from Shipsaver through my Inkfrog account.  Before the verification process became an online process you would need to mail or fax the required documents.  I would often have buyers who would either refuse or not know how to get the form back to me. Instead I would submit to the insurer a copy of the message the buyer sent stating damage or loss (well actually loss, never had a damage claim and your buyer stating you didn't pack well isn't going to help).   As well as a copy of the Paypal refund.   They always accepted this and would honor my claim.   Not sure if you have a way to do that with Shipcover,  but just a suggestion.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply