cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Used Shipping Method Not In Listing

Seller listed shipping as FedEx Ground or FedEx Home Delivery. They sent it by FedEx Smartpost. I do not have mail delivery at the shipping address I gave and I am not going to the post office to pick it up. Too many problems with that post office and I would not be surprised it is smashed. One postamaster told me it is the worst post office in my state. Called FedEx and asked them to send it back. They said I had to call Smartpost when they open. Called Smartpost and they said only the shipper could ask for it to be returned. Before this I had emailed the seller about it and received no response. What are my options?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Others may have better advice than I, but I would open an eBay Item Not Received (INR) case.

~M

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

eBay basically doesn’t consider the shipping method part of the item description. What they DO consider part of item description is the latest delivery estimate. If the item arrives on it before that date, you have no recourse through eBay unless the item is not as described. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I don't know what stage the package is in, but you don't have to have it sent back.

I suggest you request a hold at location prior to it's transfer to USPS. Usually the transfer occurs very close to your home and they can hold it at a Fedex location for pickup.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

As USPS doesn't have SmartPost until it arrives at your delivering Post Office, if it is smashed then it was FedEx that did the deed. 

At my location (middle of Ohio) we tend to avoid FedEx. If I order something that has no other choice than FedEx I have it delivered to my work (I'm a mail carrier), if not I will come home to a "door tag" slapped on the front of my mailbox or the package tossed down at the end of the driveway. Recently they left a package on my neighbors trash can on a Tuesday (trash day) out at the end of her drive.  She was lucky as the trash had already been picked up.

On my mailroute two winters ago I tripped and went down on a FedEx package that was left in heavy blowing and drifting snow in the middle of the sidewalk. I brushed it off and took it back to my Jeep for a bag and put it on the porch with the package I had for delivery, and limped back to my route. I'm 59 and don't bounce well when I go down. The customer that could have taken that fall is in her late 70's.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I have had several recent transactions

where the seller substitutes a cheaper and slower method of shipping than that paid for & indicated in the listing, and pockets the difference in cost.

You can of course choose to mention this within the feedback that you leave.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

well you should pick it up...if you want it.... if not it may be returned at some point saying couldn't be delievered or non pick up....and that is still on you....so after the seller gets the item back..then a refund .... BUT what a mess....so...yes this is just a shade off..but it did go FedEX but that last bit, really isn't the sellers fault either...that seems to be between you and the post office....

I'D say that YOU should have contacted the seller before and have it in an email that they understood what to do or not to do...they didn't know at the point when they labeled it...right?....

pick it up...then deal with whatever you need to at that point.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

If you don't pick it up or you refuse it amd return it to sender, you are no longer covered by the eBay money-back guarantee.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

It is the seller's responsibilty, not mine. Seller did not  folllow the terms of the listing. Smartpost is mentioned nowhere. Purchased from this seller before and it was sent by FedEx Ground. Seller should have contacted me firts if they neeeded to change shipping method. I have not ben in that post office for over 10 years and will not go now.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@b.comm wrote:

It is the seller's responsibilty, not mine. Seller did not  folllow the terms of the listing. Smartpost is mentioned nowhere. Purchased from this seller before and it was sent by FedEx Ground. Seller should have contacted me firts if they neeeded to change shipping method. I have not ben in that post office for over 10 years and will not go now.

I'm not sure why you have such a distaste for your particular post office, but I would not give up my protection under the MBG because of it.  If the item, when you pick it up, proves to be damaged, file a SNAD and the seller has to pay the return shipping. 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 10 of 10
latest reply