cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not returning item not belonging to you

I recently sold 8 items to a person in R.I. but by accident sent them to the wrong person  in Mi. When i realized my mistake i emailed him to try to get the items back $215.00 worth but to my amazement HE was mad at me ,swearing as if i did it on purpose. In any case he wanted $40.00 to do the right thing but i refused to be blackmailed and so he has cut off communication . THE POST MASTER AND EBAY COULD NOT HELP AS I FIND THAT DISGRACEFUL  and so i take a hit. Let this be a warning watch where you send to not like me!

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Not returning item not belonging to you

"In any case he wanted $40.00 to do the right thing ..."

@greatvintage00 

Every bad buyer has their price. Sorry this happened to you.

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

There is no way to get items sent to the wrong person back unless they want to return them.  Always check and recheck before shipping.  Write on packages the item and buyer id.  Do that where you will be covering it with the shipping label.

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Sadly I've had this happen twice over my many years here. Thankfully each time the buyers sent the items on to the correct buyer. I sent them money to cover the shipping. The buyers didn't mind at all and understood my mistake. I was very lucky. I now prevent it by not packing two items at a time. I work with orders one by one. 

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

@greatvintage00 wrote:

THE POST MASTER AND EBAY COULD NOT HELP AS I FIND THAT DISGRACEFUL  and so i take a hit.

There is nothing Ebay can do if you send items to the wrong customer.

As far as the PO, you can pay to have the package intercepted and sent back if it's done early enough.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 24
latest reply

How is this ebay or post masters responsibility?And what do you think they could do?

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 6 of 24
latest reply

This is the reason I ship one item at a time.  It takes a little longer but I haven't made that mistake but once.

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 7 of 24
latest reply

How is paying $40 to get back $215 blackmail? There's a cost to shipping, dealing with this, taking to the post office..what ever it is, it makes no sense that you would rather lose $215 because you don't want to lose $40???

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Its blackmail because he could've kept the $40 and the merchandise. And if he wanted to he could've asked for another $40 if he wanted. Possibly keeping that too if he wanted... Dirtbags do exist. He was in fact blackmailing him for his items. And it is in fact illegal under some circumstances to keep items that were delivered wrongly to you (See below). If you have a tracking numbers you can prove you shipped those items to that seller via the tracking number and the sale associated with it on eBay.

Contact eBay again even though they likely wont do anything. Point out the sale and the address it was accidentally delivered to and the proof of delivery. It wont get you your items back but at least eBay will be aware of this guy and be able to see this dispute. In any future disputes they'll see that he is actually capable of **bleep**'ness.

If a company sends you an unsolicited gift, it is legal to keep it. This particular law was aimed at companies who would send consumers an unsolicited product and then charge them for it if they didn’t pay or return it.

If a package is delivered to you in error, it is not legal to keep it. It’s your responsibility to notify the shipper or shipping company of the error.

To clarify, if it is unsolicited mail addressed to you and named to you and you keep it legal. (This is your situation)

If it is mis-addressed or mis-delivered with another name on it, it is actually illegal for you to open it, much less keep it.

Considering how hard families have been suffering financially as of late you'd think people would have the decency to realize this and do the right thing to fix such a common mistake. It has happened to many already and it'll happen again. Theres people suffering out there. If this happens to you and you receive a package labeled to you but was done so by accident, then do the right thing and return it (request shipping cost if needed). Put yourself in the sellers shoes so you can see how devastating this might be for an individual or his family. Of course for some ot may not be as big of a deal, but for others it can be them difference between having and not having gas in the car this week.

-

Also I take screen shots of my sales, like buyers name and address, along with the items. So when shipping I have these single screen shots that show the item that was sold and who it was sold to and where it's going. So when the labels are printed I can just look at the screenshots for reference as to which label belongs where.

Edit: Eeeek! I typed too much, sorry, pretty bored over here! Hah! Also have a great day everyone!

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Wait, did you expect the buyer to pay for return shipping for your mistake? And you're calling that blackmail because they wanted to be compensated for fixing your mistake?

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

The person was very disrespectful because of a mistake i gather he must be perfect! The $40.00 was unfair i would have paid $20.00 but the point is he would not do what a moral person would do and return the items .Is this the ebay you prefer and its getting worse.20 years on ebay and I have never dealt with a person that swore at me and did not return the items. What goes around comes around.

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

I am going to be honest, if I got your items, I would have asked for you to pay for the return shipping and buy me lunch, LOL!

I would have even mailed it to the correct person. LOL!
Message 12 of 24
latest reply

@greatvintage00 

I buy and sell here. I would have returned it to the seller for a credit of the actual shipping cost... but my logistics allow for it. I have a regular mail carrier who picks up from my home daily... I'd be 'Safe At Home'.

You might want to revisit some of the other posters' advice. If a $40 investment gets you back a $200+ item... you may just have to play the game.

Sorry this happened to you. It has happened to me and, admittedly, I've thrown in a little for their effort. Hmmm...

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

I'd like to see your reaction if this happened to you ,sounds like you agree with him to a point but not only i got hurt but the one who paid for the items was hurt even though he got his money back as he wanted the items badly. so a person has no responsibility to do the right thing and keeping items he did not need or pay for. As for ebay and the post office they should have done something send an email asking for the items or your off ebay .the postal service and ebay have No responsibility using their site and service? Not their mistake so who cares?

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Actually, $40 seems reasonable for the return postage and the time & energy to correct your mistake.  Alas!  We all occasionally make a mistake.  To have to pay for the consequences of those mistakes doesn't appear to be an unreasonable assumption.  To expect someone to correct your mistake without compensation for their time and reimbursement of the cost is, in my opinion, one though. 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 15 of 24
latest reply