cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APO FPO exclusion

About 10 years ago I had a bad experience, as a seller, shipping to an APO FPO. Let's just say it took almost 2 months to receive. Not good as a seller obviously.

Since then I have always excluded APO/FPO.

Has shipping improved to the point where I can remove the exclusion?

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: APO FPO exclusion

Well of course there are a whole lot of things that can delay a package having nothing to do with the address.

But I recently sent a package to APO AE (Europe/Middle East). It was delivered in 6 days.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

People in the armed forces and those that support them on those bases should have priority access to anything available on eBay and elsewhere on e-commerce.

Yes there can be some delays but I believe we are obliged to give them a good shipping experience.

I do understand the reluctance to ship to these addresses if you are selling more delicate items and or items that don’t do well with long or delayed shipping routes. 

Ultimately, we should make all efforts to cater to our military members. I will continue to do so and hope you can as well. 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@dolcetreasures wrote:

People in the armed forces and those that support them on those bases should have priority access to anything available on eBay and elsewhere on e-commerce.

Yes there can be some delays but I believe we are obliged to give them a good shipping experience.

I do understand the reluctance to ship to these addresses if you are selling more delicate items and or items that don’t do well with long or delayed shipping routes. 

Ultimately, we should make all efforts to cater to our military members. I will continue to do so and hope you can as well. 

Wholeheartedly agree.

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I never exclude them.  Most , if not all, already probably know that the item may take some time to be delivered.  Once the post office gets it, it gets sent somewhere and then the military takes over delivering the item.  The somewhere is a secret.   The best that you can do is explain to the buyer that it may take a lot longer to receive and to please be patient.

However, in these difficult times, if I had a pricey item, I might exclude an APO address.  It just depends what the item is and the cost that I am willing to risk losing.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I make sure, whenever I send to an APO/FPO, it's sent in a bright pink bubble envie.  I have those just for this occasion. 

That way, IF the service person claims to have not gotten it, I call their base PO and their CO.  Trust me, that pink envie is always remembered.  

Make sure your package is memorable.  

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

I have shipped quite a lot to APO, FPO, DPO addresses (through booksforsoldiers.com) . The longest any have taken was like 3 weeks but in that case it was going to a unit in Afghanistan and they were relocating so the unit was no longer in the exact location they were when I shipped it.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Granted it's been a few years - my son left the Navy in 2014 or 15 - but the longest it ever took for  a package to get to him was around 18-20 days.  FPO AE  That's when he was deployed somewhere in the Persian Gulf.   Most made it in around 10 days or so.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

It has improved by leaps and bounds over the last couple of years. 

The only grey area is when something is being sent to the front lines so to speak. Those will fall into a black hole for a little bit until the last scan. 

The last one I had was about a week to Germany. One to Guam took a little longer than that. 

Most folks are patient. If you get one that is not and files a claim and it is subsequently delivered and they won't pay for it, you can gently remind them that you have their command address and will follow up if necessary. 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Hello, I hope you dont mind me asking but What is the process  for shipping to APO AE ? Do you have to fill out customs  forms or can you just purchase a regular usps first class label? 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@landemiche wrote:

Hello, I hope you dont mind me asking but What is the process  for shipping to APO AE ? Do you have to fill out customs  forms or can you just purchase a regular usps first class label? 

If you buy your labels on eBay, Pirateship and most likely other services you are hand walked through the process.

When you click to buy the label the customs form comes up automatically and is an integral part of the shipping label.. Depending on the label service you use it may already be filed in or you may have to specify what is in the package.

Then you just apply the label to your package and drop it off at the post office like any other package.

As an aside, remember that some things which are legal in this country are NOT legal in other countries. Even though you are shipping to a U S military base that base is under the jurisdiction of the host country regarding imported goods. For example, do not try to send nudie magazines or alcohol to an APO in the middle east.  It will be confiscated. Etc.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I have an FPO address.  If you ship via Priority mail, mail goes airmail and arrives pretty quickly.  But if you ship media mail, it will go on a boat and will take 2 months.  APO/FPO buyers learn this quickly and plan accordingly.  So I would ask that you still ship to APO/FPO and maybe drop them an email regarding shipping time for media mail and possibly offer to mail via Priority Mail for an increased price, if you choose.

For others reading this:  FYI, you must use USPS to ship to FPO/APO.  

We really appreciate sellers who ship to FPO/APO addresses!

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

My experience, as someone with an FPO mailing address for 20 years overseas, is that military members understand the extra time it takes to mail to us.  But the new military members overseas don't always know that media mail goes by boat instead of airplane and takes 2 months or more.  But it's just media mail that is that slow.  The other services need just a few days longer than normal.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

It's asking me for HS code

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply