cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I know this one...... BUT.... Mysterious Tags?

Hey, I saw a "tag" similar to this one a few posts down and in other threads. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 8.29.47 AM.png

I also recall seeing one that said "Tag" plus a number in another thread.

Doesn't look like the authors added these tags, as they are different, so can only surmise they were added by a Mod or eBay.  Right?

In this thread, here, I get that they are probably bookmarks for things that could be changed or adjusted.  But other places?   Does that mean eBay is watching and highlighting recalcitrant posters?  Interesting!

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I will have to be honest. not sure what tag ,means.............bookmark it for somone else?

a few days back I pushed the add tags..............have no idea what it did

I liked the old board more

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

As the tag I just added to your post illustrates, anyone can tag anyone else's posts. That has always been the case--nothing about that has changed. 

Additionally, tags are not anonymous. If you click on the tag, it clearly shows "pburn" as the one who tagged the post.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@pburn 

Oh you sneaky devil you!  LOL!  I saw that tag and did a double take and then wondered what was going on!  The secret police were afoot?    LOL  Good one.

Now that said, I clicked the tag and here is what I see.... no tracks back to pburn!  A glitch?

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 12.53.07 PM.png

Thanks for your kind help!

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

If you move farther down the page, on the right-hand side under the "Popular Tags" column, you should see a heading that says "Top Taggers." (Desktop version. No idea on mobile app.)

Tags 2.PNG

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@no_zero369 @pburn 

If someone tags your post do you get notified? 
I’ve seen some tags on some post that are very insulting to the poster. “What an idiot” for example. Have seen worse, but don’t want slapped.

I know they’ve been around for awhile, but haven’t seen a useful reason. Top tag on the Seller board is 2017 seller update. 

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@loveyourimagination49 

IIRC, I did not receive a notification when people have tagged my posts. 

I reported some tags the other day that were absolutely vile, nasty, vulgar, etc. I think some people think tags are anonymous, so they just let loose. All the tags were removed, so I'm sure the moderator let that person know otherwise.

There's one member who tags every one of those threads about gift card scams (and a couple other scams, as I recall). I suppose that person wants to track those scams for some reason? The tags are simply "informational"--nothing out of line. It's odd to me, but certainly within the Community guidelines.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Thanks! 

I just turned tagging off. Does that mean you or anyone for that matter, can’t put a tag on my post or just that I won’t see them? Last question promise. 😀

@pburn 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@pburn 

You got Tagged!  (since there is no notification)

Funny... tried to say "thanks" and apparently that is not allowed! 🤔 😂

See this....

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 5.46.41 PM.png

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Oh, I know! In my time in the Community, I've seen words like "it" or "a" or "you" blocked from a tag--so that's not new. Crazy? Yes. New? No.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:

Thanks! 

I just turned tagging off. Does that mean you or anyone for that matter, can’t put a tag on my post or just that I won’t see them? Last question promise. 😀

@loveyourimagination49 

Well, I was just able to tag your post . . .

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

🤔 

sheila@ebay  Seems to be some tagging issues. I haven’t checked your latest update board over all the way, but...

I would provide a screenshot, but umm ya know 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

sheila@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

@loveyourimagination49 this one is on my list, but not posted on the boards. I believe I have to play around with the settings in the backend to fix this. 

Sheila
Community Manager
eBay
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@no_zero369 

When I create a new topic, and type ahead of my cursor, I usually end up typing in the tag field. I don't always notice unless an error reports that the tag is too short (the tag needs to be more than two characters).  When I see nothing going into the dialog box, I place my cursor in there and start again. I don't always notice that I have created a "tag".

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 14 of 14
latest reply