cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

return fraud.

Please be aware that a buyer has committed return fraud in an amount exceeding a value of $1000.00.

Recently, he purchased an Umarex Hammer PCP  50 caliber air rifle from me, then filed for a return under false pretenses, obtained a full refund and sent me back two pieces of tree branches in the return package instead of the air rifle.   I am a 100 % disabled veteran and do not deserve this from anyone.  I am asking all to exercise caution when conducting a transaction with this individual.  It has been an almost impossible issue to resolve with eBay.  

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: return fraud.

Sad fact you have no evidence to your claims.

Many bad sellers would abuse eBay if eBay took the stance you are requesting.

You can file a police report. Mail fraud with inspector generals office, cyber crimes with FBI. Possible small claims suit.

But basically even though you have a sad story and people feel bad. There isn't any way to prove it.

Message 16 of 30
latest reply

@jimdannygoji:

Since eBay does next to nothing about return fraud, you're left with filing FBI, law enforcement and consumer reports in addition to USPS mail fraud reports.

I don't know how far the buyer is from you, but the other option you have, if it is economically feasible, is to take the buyer to court in his jurisdiction and then show up with all of your proof (save EVERYTHNG that could be used in court). This has been successfully used in the past, when the scam buyer didn't think the victim would go to that extent. You never know -- the air rifle just may get returned to you.

I've been really vocal the last few years, about eBay not coming up with an anti-scamming insurance policy, for instance, that sellers of higher-value items could utilize, for a fee of course, to combat return fraud and other kinds of fraud that are rampant here and giving eBay and other online venues a black mark. If something like this were to be developed, I'd pay the fee, utilize it, and then resume listing a LOT of higher-value items that I don't dare list currently. If eBay wanted to have a windfall of sales fee revenue, a lot of sellers here would again start listing those items and eBay's reputation would go way up again... Just an simple idea and recommendation. The details could be worked out by eBay, but the ball's in their court and something has got to be done - it's to eBay's own bottom line benefit.

Cheers,

Duffy   

Message 17 of 30
latest reply

Thank you.  I did contact his local police first, then they advised me to contact mine because I received the scam return in my town/state...in turn my local Sheriff also had me file a complaint with the USPS...The result is that now there are 2 warrants out for his arrest 

Fyi...I also researched this individual on Been verified to learn he has 8 emails, 6 alias, and many phone numbers...now I have to submit the report to ebay

Message 18 of 30
latest reply

@duffy4444 

I wish you well and again, I didn't mean to be insensitive.  Fraudsters are everywhere and none of us can control it, sadly.  That's the risk of selling on the internet.  We read these posts daily on these boards.  Hope you'll continue to post as well. 

All the best

Message 19 of 30
latest reply

The insurance thing is a great idea however what if the scamming sellers are paying for this insurance as well. Should they benefit from it. How to include all sellers in this if many of them are scamming customers. It’s not something I believe Ebay could do because of that. Perhaps sellers pursue their own insurance for this if it is avail.

Message 20 of 30
latest reply

Yay! You did something about it and 2 arrest warrants. Nice to see that.

Message 21 of 30
latest reply

I didn't refund him.  I got a notice from eBay that the buyer provided "proof" the item was delivered to me and they gave him the refund.  I did not receive to bogus package until 2 days after this fraud and learned he sent back cut tree branches

Message 22 of 30
latest reply

He submitted forged proof

Message 23 of 30
latest reply

It is despicable to scam any seller and especially a VET. I salute you.

Message 24 of 30
latest reply

Some of us have had the same experience.

I had a return in a dark plastic bag with something gooey in it. I sell stamps.

Mailman would not even deliver it.

I had to visit the post office and refused it. Lost my case and got charged another $20 for refusing it.

I am sorry what happened to you.

Seems buyers have quite a bit of protection for returns.

I also have someone return stamps...which was a post card instead with tracking.

I have been scammed a few times.

The posts here are monitored by Khoros ...and we have to be careful what we say. The funny thing about that is when I click onto that website...open jobs are available in India....so it's probably not even USA telling us what we cannot say....just my own opinion and thoughts on that.

Again, really sorry about the horrible situation.

Message 25 of 30
latest reply

Yes there is...the post office keeps record of x-rayed packages and he is on video at his local post office submitting the package...then there are the people who helped me package it initially and the witnesses who saw me open the return and logs fell out.  Also the post office noted that the return weight was increased versus it's initial weight.  And his fingerprints are all over the tape and box.

Message 26 of 30
latest reply

Small claims court good evidence to present.

Message 27 of 30
latest reply

Still not conclusive evidence.

You can use that in a court battle, but that's pretty much it.

If you offer free returns as an above average seller or 30 day returns as a TRS then you could have salvaged 50%.

If you opt out of those protections then you will have to take 100% loss.

You can ask ebay for courtesy and see jf they will help out one time.

Message 28 of 30
latest reply

Thank you.  I did contact his local police first, then they advised me to contact mine because I received the scam return in my town/state...in turn my local Sheriff also had me file a complaint with the USPS...The result is that now there are 2 warrants out for his arrest 

Fyi...I also researched this individual on Been verified to learn he has 8 emails, 6 alias, and many phone numbers...now I have to submit the report to ebay

Please keep the forum updated on the progress and how this goes. Scamming is quite common on eBay and your actions may provide other sellers insight on how to address similar problems. 

Message 29 of 30
latest reply

Was this  the item you sold for $650 plus ~$39 shipping in April?  Don't see one that sold for $1K.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 30 of 30
latest reply