cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Seller Protection is an absolute joke at times.

After 18 years here on eBay selling same exact  trademarked items we learned  today that eBay SELLER PROTECTION is worthless when a buyer opened an "item not as described"  case  FOUR MONTH AFTER DELIVERY DATE yes FOUR MONTH after delivery date with  his/her financial institution , note buyer never opened a return case for full refund no questions asked we offer unlike many bullion sellers. Mind blowing , we filed an immediate response same day case was open.

Today we get an answer from eBay CS that financial institution sided with buyer and eBay charged us another $20 fee for "fighting" on our behalf , in the same paragraph it said that  eBay SELLER PROTECTION does not cover us despite following guidelines to the letter meaning shipping within 24 hours , shipping only to address given to us by eBay where we print all our labels ..BLAH BLAH BLAH  but we can appeal , so we figured its worth trying to get someone on the PHONE and we did get someone that explained that seller protection DOES NOT apply since buyer opened case with his/her financial institution ....they can only cover us for the $20 fee that they will issue a refund ??????????   so we loose the case and the gold bar !

Below is written response we got from customer service , NOTE my name and name of person who wrote it was removed per community rules. Imagine having a life insurance that ONLY covers you if a certain MODEL OF PLANE falls from the sky and kills you !     🙂

RE: Appeal pls pls help

To:precious_metals_alliance
Sent:Apr-09-24 10:16

Hello  ( my name removed )

Thank you for contacting eBay customer service. My name is ( NAME REMOVED) and I will be assisting you regarding the item  ( NAME OF ITEM REMOVED ) that you recently sold.

Before anything else, I appreciate you for being with us for more than 18 years. Thank you for your loyalty.

Upon reviewing the case, I got to know that you are not happy with the dispute appeal outcome. Let me share the correct information with you.

(MY NAME REMOVED), I totally understand all the points you mentioned in your email. I really want you to please understand eBay's place here. The buyer opened the dispute with their payment partner and not with eBay, which means the decision taken was by the payment partner of the buyer, not us. If the case is being opened with a third-party company, then how can eBay intervene and take the decision? What eBay can do to assist you is refund the dispute fees.

I hope I was able to resolve your concern today.

Thank you for contacting us today. We appreciate your continued business with eBay. Stay safe and have a wonderful day.

Best regards,

(NAME REMOVED)

eBay customer service

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

@precious_metals_alliance 

Sorry to hear of the chargeback.

It is a well known fact here on eBay and any ither online venue that uses a payment processor, that INAD chargebacks are very hard to win.

It is all in the presentation via the dispute and much of the time an airtight rebuttal loses anyways as it is always the buyer's financial institution that decides the case.

eBay will usually cover a INR or buyer does not recognize the transaction chargebacks if there is tracking that shows delivered.

Posting ID
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Wouldn't be surprised if that is a AI response. Sadly Ebay has never supported sellers and probably never will unless they get a common sense CEO new hire. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

ebay unfortunately can't force a bank to do anything. They can present evidence that no wrong doing occurred. But, the decision is entirely third party. 

Not the answer you want but it's how it is. Where it is of high enough value, you can always pursue it legally against the buyer. That is an option. But first, I would be wanting to know why the institution was not seeking the return of the item first in the process. The 2 chargebacks I have been involved with, inad claims required shipping evidence back to seller.

Did they return anything?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Consider yourself fortunate that it has taken you 18 years to realize this. Most CC companies allow at least 120 days to file a chargeback some a lot longer. As others also mentioned the NAD chargebacks are almost impossible to win and your only recourse is to go through the court system to try and get the item back or to recover the funds. Otherwise add this buyer to your BBL and take the loss as a tax write-off. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

ebay unfortunately can't force a bank to do anything. They can present evidence that no wrong doing occurred. But, the decision is entirely third party. 

Not the answer you want but it's how it is. Where it is of high enough value, you can always pursue it legally against the buyer. That is an option. But first, I would be wanting to know why the institution was not seeking the return of the item first in the process. The 2 chargebacks I have been involved with, inad claims required shipping evidence back to seller.

Unfortunately under current Federal Laws regarding CC chargebacks the only thing that the CC companies are required to do is focus on the financial aspects of the transaction they are not required to get into the logistical aspects of returning an item, although a few do require it. 

I am guessing your 2 INAD claims were through eBay which does have a policy regarding returns. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

When you mention "bars" you neglect to mention they are gram or grain bars, not ounce bars. So it's not that big of a loss. 

Yes, it sucks. No it's not morally right what was done. But this is the way it works. Selling comes with risks. And you think the risks are worth it, because you are still selling. This could happen again, or it may never happen again. Only time will tell. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

What eBay can do to assist you is refund the dispute fees.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Take the money and run.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply