cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is ebay overlaying a message on the first picture of a listing ?

Ebay either puts on a message about how many views a listing has had or some other factor (I don't remember right now what it is). So if I look at a competitor's listing 20 times in a 24 hour period it will show (along with other views) either the number 20 or 20+ other people who have viewed as well. 

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Why is ebay overlaying a message on the first picture of a listing ?

I fail to see what the problem is here.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

I didn't say there was a problem, but now that you mention it, might it give the poster of the item for sale the impression that his (her) item was getting an inordinate amount of attention when it fact the higher numbers were coming from a competitor who was looking to see how many times the competing item was being looked at?

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

That's why this is just one more thing on eBay that it's best to ignore.  Besides, I'm pretty sure the seller doesn't see this banner on their own listings.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Well, in fact, I do see it on MY listings as well as on a compeitor's listings, so maybe that in fact is part of eBay's equation for some reason.  And wtih that in mind (if true both ways, it would show him that 
"I" and other's are looking at his listings, and it shows me (compared to him) how many are looking at MY listings. 

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Yeah well....isn't how many views your listings have gotten info that's already available to you anyway?  And your competitor has access to how many views their listings have too?  I still don't see what the big deal here is over a meaningless banner.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I see it as more noise - we don't need more noise on our listings.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

We need more cowbell on our listings.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

I wouldn't be afraid of the competition from anyone who is looking at my listings to see how many views they have. I would use that time to instead source and list another item.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Well, let me explain it to you. 

5) 

1) I know how many of an item I have sold.

2) my competitor knows how many of an item I have sold. 

3) the same thing applies in reverse (I'll let YOU do that)

4) this might affect how either one of us prices our items, sources our items, etc. 

5) no need to respond as anyone who reads this post will know that too. 

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@hartungcards wrote:

We need more cowbell on our listings.

Cuz I got a feeva!

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Sometimes that banner shows how many people have that item in their eBay cart instead of showing how many views.

I’m going to create a banner on my photos that looks exactly like that eBay one that says “1,000,000 people currently have this in their cart” just to freak out my competitors.

UPDATE: Actually I just checked and I don’t see that banner message anymore in neither my nor other sellers listings. Can anyone else confirm that it’s gone?

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

I don't need to know how many views a competitors item has in order to price my item. Their price, shipping charged and location is the only information I need in order to compete with them.  Views just meant someone clicked on their listing and then didn't buy it.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@iamalwaysright 

This morning I am seeing the banners only when using the app (Android).

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Seeing it on desktop too as a buyer. Only shows how many have viewed the item to me as a buyer, for a seller might show something different. In eBay motors, the 2ed photo is the Parts Fit Guaranty video, that to me is bad placement. 

Screenshot_30-4-2024_8403_www.ebay.com.jpeg

Message 15 of 17
latest reply