cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does anyone buy anything without reading anything or viewing anything?

Someone bought a lot of 30 keyboards. My title says "LOT of 30 Logitech Wired Keyboard for Apple iPad 1/2/3rd Gen w/ 30-Pin Connector". Today I was hit with a Return Approved request.

Return Reason: Doesn't fit
Comments: I need a key board that can fit iPad 9th generation. Not 30 pin connector
I messaged the buyer:

"You should have read the title or the description or view the pictures before buying anything. This cost me shipping cost and a lot of work."

I don't know why people do this. I said 1/2/3 gen, not 9th gen. I said with 30-pin connector. Newer ipad has very small connectors. I did free shipping. I guess that I have to eat this up, disgusting.

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Human nature?

As sellers I think we've all had this happen from time to time.

It's just part of selling online.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 2 of 33
latest reply

Dealing with the public takes patience and strong nerves.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 33
latest reply

@dreambooks  It happens more than it should. When you issue the refund, make sure you deduct the cost of shipping and return shipping. When it prompts you to input the deduction amount, add the return label and the ship to label cost together and enter that number. The buyer might dispute the deduction, but they might not. Especially since you clearly stated what you were selling.

Message 4 of 33
latest reply

Snarky and quite unprofessional message.

Face it, it happens to everyone.

Better answer would have been, "Sorry this wasn't what you were looking for, will refund as soon as I receive the product."

Relist (raise the price) and move on.

Message 5 of 33
latest reply

@dreambooks wrote:

"You should have read the title or the description or view the pictures before buying anything. This cost me shipping cost and a lot of work."

I don't know why people do this. I said 1/2/3 gen, not 9th gen. I said with 30-pin connector. Newer ipad has very small connectors. I did free shipping. I guess that I have to eat this up, disgusting.

I dont disagree that your buyer was a dimwit - but let me offer a couple of suggestions: 1) List them for individual sale - either with Free Shipping or discounted shipping when buying more than one. You will probably find a lot more buyers needing 1 keyboard than 30. 2) Show a big clear photo of the plug. I know some are visible in the photos and '30-pin' is mentioned on the bottom of the keypad but I think it would be good to play up the fact that those are old-style plugs. Good luck with selling these again in the future.

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

Thanks. Is it possible to deduct shipping cost? How do you find out the returning shipping cost and who paid it?

Message 7 of 33
latest reply

I sold a used Ford truck part, in the listing I said it fits only 1977-79 trucks 4 times. Squirrel buys it for $40, does a return, says it does not fit his 1974 Ford. Well, I never said it would fit a 1974! Got it back, relisted it for $100, took an offer of $90, buyer loved it for their 1977-79 Ford truck.

So, in the end, it worked out OK, no loss of $$ on my end. Just aggravation.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
Message 8 of 33
latest reply

I'm still goggling at someone purchasing 30 THIRTY keyboards without bothering to really read.

@dreambooks  If the buyer is returning due to remorse, they pay for the return shipping.  If they're returning it for some other (INAD) reason, you pay the return shipping.  I haven't seen amounts for return shipping service - I know it doesn't include insurance.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 9 of 33
latest reply

Oh we're trading stories huh?   

I sold a blade for a PS10 pruning saw.

I sent a blade for a PS10.

Buyer started a return,  said I sent him the wrong item.

He has a PS30.

Buyer then buys a blade for a PS30.

Returns the blade for a PS10.

A day later buys a blade for  PS40!!!!!!!

You can't make this stuff up.  LOL   😉

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 10 of 33
latest reply

It's frustrating when they don't read.  Maybe they know when you have a returns accepted policy they can return it for any reason.

I would not chastise the buyer.  Stay positive and professional and graciously accept the return.

They're responsible for the return label. If shipping was free refund in full when it's returned. Refund minus shipping if the buyer paid for original shipping.

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

Actually this is nothing new. Back in the 1940's or so there was a somewhat famous reporter named H L Mencken who said:

Nobody ever broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

(Not us, or you, of course but everyone else)

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

Why do people walk into a store and with the item in their very hands, still buy the wrong thing?  People are distracted.  People are tired.  People are confused.  People are stupid.  People are hurried.  People are people.

I know this whole thing is a drag, and I know how tempting it was to let the buyer know your legitimate feelings -- but you asked for a neg with that message, as though things weren't bad enough.  Nothing beats, "I am sorry you were not satisfied.  Please return for a full refund."

-

Message 13 of 33
latest reply

Back in the good ol' days of checks and money orders,  I listed an EMPTY  Vintage 12" GI JOE TAN JEEP BOX.  I write EMPTY box 2X in the heading.   The price was $300.oo. Shipping was about 20.oo.  I write EMPTY box again.  I wrote ONLY air inside of the box.. I write there is NOTHING else.  I write that it's a very rare EMPTY box.   I write the description in Spanish too.   A moron in California buys it.  I wait a week for the money order to arrive. I get it and I shipt he box.  This was a big item and required a big outer box.   The guy gets it about 2 weeks later since it was sent parcel post.)   He does  contact ebay member where he gets my phone and I get his.  He is literally crying on the phone and asking me "Where is the Jeep."  He asks me in Spanish. I tell him NO jeep. It's an empty box.   He literally just looked at the photo of the tan Jeep on the box and assumed there was a Jeep inside.  I told him to return it and I would send him a money order minus the 20.oo shipping. 

The moron stuffed it with newspapers.  He overstuffed it and bent the box.  He sent it back by UPS and paid around 75.oo.   (price was on the shipping label.)This was in the late 90s when shipping was dirt cheap compared today.  I sent him a money order for 200.oo since he put bent and I had to deduct the ebay fees and the original shipping too.  Thank God, no electronic payment back then.

I relisted the box and sold it for 325.oo.     Buyers do NOT read.   The guy focused on the picture and the price. At that time, the tan Jeep alone was worth at least 500.oo.    I blocked him.    Buyers don't read.  

You need to be patient. You can't let them raise your bp.   It's much harder to control yourself if you truly need the money to pay a bill.  

Message 14 of 33
latest reply

We are dealing with an entire generation who grew up with electronics doing everything for them and thus not reading things entirely. Things will only get worse, and this is not confined only to eBay.

I own multiple rentals. I will advertise a one-bedroom condo with no pets allowed. Every single inquiry starts with the same-

Me- How many people is this for?

Renter- Just me and my dog.

Renter- Just my girlfriend and our two dogs.

Renter- Just myself, my wife, and our three fur babies.

Renter- Just me and my parrot.

Renter- I only have a snake that doesn't make noise. 

Renter- I'm a single mother with my son and our cat.

Renter- I share custody of our dog so only twice a month will I have a dog.

Renter- My dog is trained to use pads so no one will know I have a dog. 

Message 15 of 33
latest reply