cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When did Ebay become retail?

I buy and sell items on Ebay, mainly coins and have noticed there are many other sellers of coins that either don't know coins and their values or they believe Ebay is a retail outlet. Of course I am confident they don't sell any of these items unless there are people that regularly pay more than an item is worth which I don't believe myself. Then, as a coin collector, just as many others, we have asked these sellers if they are aware of this including the fact Ebay is not retail. Aside from them calling you names and cuss sometimes, they BLOCK you from ever bidding on ANY of their items ever again. You would think informing Ebay of this BLOCKING without cause would possibly make then realize the error, however, they don't and Ebay never does a thing except to defend these sellers stating, "it is their right if they want to Block you". Sorry for the rant but, I wonder at which point did Ebay or does Ebay care about its platform or site to the extent that some sellers make them look tarnished a bit? Just a question. Please add or comment. Thank you.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

eBay is not retail, not wholesale, not flea market, not yard sale.  It is merely an online venue where sellers can list their items for sale at ANY PRICE THEY WANT TO LIST THEM.  If you don't find that bargains you are looking for, then you don't have to shop here.  Sellers are NOT required to give you any sort of whopping deal whether you think you are entitled to one or not.  Certainly, if you can do better somewhere else, then by all means go shop there instead. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 2 of 29
latest reply

Generally speaking TRS+ Powersellers who offer Free shipping AND Free returns AND are qualified in the Guaranteed Delivery program *DO* get paid more for their items, some quite a bit more.

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

The wonderful thing about Ebay is that it is open to everyone.....from a rank amateur in selling/and or knowledge.....to the retail store who wants an online selling opportunity.  As such, sellers can over/under price anything....the challenge to the buyer is to find what he wants at a price he is willing to pay.....which can take some work.

As to "correcting" sellers......some will appreciate being informed of errors if it is done in a nice and constructive manner......others will not.....  To accuse sellers of trying to be "retailers".....which in practicality they are,  would probably not endear you to many.....since you seem to use it as derogatory term. 

Unfortunately, there are buyers who are unreasonable and Ebay does give sellers the right to block those with whom they feel they do not want to do business with because of something a buyer has said......and sellers do exercise that right to protect themselves. 

Probably the best thing to do is to handle your own business and not worry about other sellers......they will sink or swim according to whether anyone buys from them......

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

eBay is an auction website where sellers can auction their items or offer them for sale at a fixed price.

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

If you only buy items at below retail or below catalogue (which are different things) the value of your collection will only decrease as time goes on.

When you pay top dollar for top quality, your purchase has a good chance of keeping pace with inflation or even increasing in value.

they BLOCK you from ever bidding on ANY of their items ever again.

Sellers are protecting their business and/or investment.

You would think informing Ebay of this BLOCKING without cause would possibly make then realize the error,

The seller will never be informed of your report.

however, they don't and Ebay never does a thing except to defend these sellers stating, "it is their right if they want to Block you".

Sellers are protecting their business and/or investment.

And nobody wants to be bothered with a high maintenance customer.

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

dhbooksds - thank you for wording it more nicely than I did.  Entitlement bothers me. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 7 of 29
latest reply

@myboardid wrote:

dhbooksds - thank you for wording it more nicely than I did.  Entitlement bothers me. 

It was an effort......

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

Please pardon my bluntness in this post. I have to ask. If eBay is not retail, then what is it?

If you are contacting sellers complaining that they are not retail but are erroneously considering themselves as such, then you should not be surprised by their blocking you, or showing a lack of appreciation for your efforts. Because giving this unsolicited "correction" to others, it makes you appear to not know what you are doing.

From the OP "...You would think informing Ebay of this BLOCKING without cause would possibly make then realize the error, however, they don't and Ebay never does a thing except to defend these sellers..."

Ebay defends the sellers' actions in blocking you because they have a right to block you, regardless of the reason. A seller can refuse to do business with anyone for any reason. Sellers also are free to choose whatever price point they want. High, low, exorbitant, cheap, unrealistic, ridiculous, it doesn't matter. They are free to choose just as you are. 

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

"Of course I am confident they don't sell any of these items unless there are people that regularly pay more than an item is worth which I don't believe myself. "

Yes, there are people that pay more than an item is worth, all the time.

Because I buy and sell mostly silver coins, I see this a lot. It doesn't bother me though.

There are sellers that sell as fixed price at comparatively high prices and often get them. It seems some buyers just don't know the value or don't care to research the coin.  I guess they see the listing, want what they see now, and buy it without  shopping around or researching. Or they may get carried away in a bidding war.

Contacting a seller to "confront" them or "educate" them is in my opinion, asking to be blocked. How annoying is that? They probably figure you are just trouble down the road.

("Then, as a coin collector, just as many others, we have asked these sellers if they are aware of this including the fact Ebay is not retail"

If you don't like the sellers prices find one you do!

And yes, ebay allows sellers to block anyone for any reason. That's their right, not an error.

-------------
Posting ID
Message 10 of 29
latest reply

wow

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

@avtaxman08 wrote:

I buy and sell items on Ebay, mainly coins and have noticed there are many other sellers of coins that either don't know coins and their values or they believe Ebay is a retail outlet. Of course I am confident they don't sell any of these items unless there are people that regularly pay more than an item is worth which I don't believe myself. Then, as a coin collector, just as many others, we have asked these sellers if they are aware of this including the fact Ebay is not retail. Aside from them calling you names and cuss sometimes, they BLOCK you from ever bidding on ANY of their items ever again. You would think informing Ebay of this BLOCKING without cause would possibly make then realize the error, however, they don't and Ebay never does a thing except to defend these sellers stating, "it is their right if they want to Block you". Sorry for the rant but, I wonder at which point did Ebay or does Ebay care about its platform or site to the extent that some sellers make them look tarnished a bit? Just a question. Please add or comment. Thank you.

Good for the sellers! 

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

eBay became "retail" the day they opened and the first item sold.

Perhaps you should look up the definition of the word "retail".

I'll save you the trouble........

noun
noun: retail; plural noun: retails
  1. the sale of goods to the public in relatively small quantities for use or consumption rather than for resale.
Message 13 of 29
latest reply

...have you ever seen this...?

" WE RESERVE THE RIGHTS TO REFUSE SERVICE TO ANYONE"

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

@avtaxman08 wrote:

I wouldn't block you. But I obtain my items from a B&M store which are being sold for them on consignment. I cannot lower the price to some ridiculous amount just because you don't think the coin is worth that much. I generally point out (when offered prices that are too low) that the amount being offered is less than what I paid, and provide my best price. There's a 50/50 success rate of the coin selling.

If you are contacting me to educate me on the price of coins and not actually interested in buying something in my store, I will likely ignore you. But I probably still won't block you.

I'm going to admit that since I get my items from a retail store and sell them for that store on consignment, my prices are sometimes on the higher end of the spectrum. That hasn't hurt my sales.

C.

Message 15 of 29
latest reply