cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do if you are waiting for payment on a bid?

I sold an item on a bid last Thursday and sent a congratulations message to the buyer. The buyer didn’t reply back or anything but I it was not an issue. Payment was not made and I didn’t hear from customer. It is now Monday, so I decided to give the customer one last message saying that they had 24 hours to pay otherwise the order will be cancelled because of eBay’s 4 day policy (I tried to word it has nicely as possible). Not even 5 minutes later I get a message back, this is the first time I am hearing from the buyer, they said they are sorry, they are in a situation but they will pay as soon as possible. I don’t really want air out the customer’s business but they made it sound serious, however, a part of me doesn’t really believe it just because no contact was made until I said I may cancel the order. Should I wait it out a little longer or give the buyer the 24 hours like I told them?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

@shatho8015 wrote:

Should I wait it out a little longer or give the buyer the 24 hours like I told them?

IMHO it is important that you wait the minimum time (4 full days, I think) and then cancel giving the reason as Non-Payment. If that option is not available, you have not waited the minimum time. 

Note that If you use eBay's "send an invoice" feature, that resets the clock and you have wait four full days after the last invoice you sent.  

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Luckily I didn’t send eBay’s invoice because I heard that if you send it the four days will be reset. 

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I think the answer should depend on how much you want to sell the item, people do have issues sometimes and if the buyer wanted to cancel they would perhaps just ask.  I generally like to wait a week or so - some people take more time

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@shatho8015 

This is one that you need to go with your gut.  If it feels OK to wait a little longer, then wait.  If your gut is telling you something isn't right, then you likely should pay attention to that.  You can file for the Cancellation for Non Payment 96 hours after the item was purchased.  So if the purchased at noon on Friday, you could file the cancellation at 12:01 PM on Tuesday.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Even if the buyer had said something completely ridiculous, IMHO you should at the very least give them the full 24 hours that you told them.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@retrogames10000 wrote:

I think the answer should depend on how much you want to sell the item, people do have issues sometimes and if the buyer wanted to cancel they would perhaps just ask.  I generally like to wait a week or so - some people take more time

I agree.

How much you want to sell the item AND how much compassion you have for this buyer (if you believe his story).

There is no right or wrong here.

It all depends on how you feel.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

This isn't personal, it's business.  Wait 4 days and then cancel due to non payment.  Your 24 hour payment window doesn't mean anything.  Buyers have 4 days to pay according to eBay and that is the rule sellers must follow.  You cannot make up your own rule.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Sellers can't make up rules that override eBay policies, but in this case I think that the 24 hours was an extension beyond whatever time today would have been the exact minimum 96 hours (i.e., auction end time on Thursday - same time on Monday), so the buyer now has until Tuesday, 24 hours after the message was sent:"I sold an item on a bid last Thursday .... It is now Monday, so I decided to give the customer one last message saying that they had 24 hours to pay..."

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@evry1nositswindy wrote:

Buyers have 4 days to pay according to eBay and that is the rule sellers must follow.  You cannot make up your own rule.

I wasn’t making my own rules. The reason I said 24 hours was because that’s when eBay will allow me to cancel the order because the auction ended on Thursday. Tomorrow will be day four.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

The same thing happened to me. The customer said he was in the hospital and still wanted the item. I waited 2 more weeks before contacting him again and I never heard back. So I was in limbo all of that time. I just sold another item and it's been 5 days and no payment. I'm not contacting or holding the item this time. I don't sell that much so this is getting frustrating. And why are we not able to leave negative feedback on these people that don't pay?

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@shatho8015 

Sorry for your situation, unfortunately this is the downside of selling auction style.  Lots of sport bidders and non payers.  People who have nothing else to do than annoy hard working sellers.  On day 5 cancel the sale citing non payment and then block this person from further taking up your time with their childish antics. 

Just a suggestion...if you use a fixed buy it now price with immediate payment required and NO best offers, you will get more serious buyers who will actually pay you  and see more money in your bank account.  Remember, we are all here to make money, not chase it.  Hang in there.

Happy Holidays

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

I hate to sound insensitive, but regardless of any issues they're having, if they were capable of hitting "reply" and sending you a message, they were capable of hitting "pay now." You won't ever get paid. Take care of this as soon as possible and block the buyer. 

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

This was also my thought process TBH, I thought I was being horribly to think like that , but I’m glad you said this. The issues was not a financial one. If it was, I would have understood and given the buyer more time. The buyer only messaged me now because I said the order will be canceled tomorrow.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@tamstoy wrote:

The same thing happened to me. The customer said he was in the hospital and still wanted the item. I waited 2 more weeks before contacting him again and I never heard back. So I was in limbo all of that time. I just sold another item and it's been 5 days and no payment. 

THIS! This is same exact situation. There is reason I don’t believe the buyer because it sounds way too convenient based by the timeframe. I’m going with my gut on this one because I don’t have time to waste on people like this!

Message 15 of 16
latest reply