cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do with this buyer?

On July 28th I sent an antique slag glass lampshade to a buyer who said she was in Canada but the shade would be shipped to Washington State (because i don't sell out of the country). So, the sale went through and she paid.

I packed it very well...I used a plastic storage tub and put slabs of styrofoam around it after wrapping it in bubble wrap. I then added styrofoam peanuts, more styrofoam pieces and put the whole thing in another box to ship. It was delivered 3 days later and I never heard another thing. Positive feedback was left for me and i left positive feedback for her. Alls good I'm thinking.

Fast forward to today and I get a nasty e-mail that the lampshade had two broken panels and I didn't know how to pack because there was nothing between the inside (hard plastic) box and the outside (heavy duty cardboard) box.

I told her it was well packed, positive feedback was left and I don't know what she's trying to pull but I'm not buying it.

She didn't mention insurance and didn't send any pictures of the damage. I did buy insurance on the item because it's was on the expensive side ($199.00).

This has me pretty upset and I don't know why she waited over 2 weeks to contact me, why she would leave feedback or what the heck is going on.

What should I do...if anything?

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Re: What should I do with this buyer?

I would agree that probably a cross border pickup as opposed to reshipper......which mght explain the 2 wks, but not the positive feedback.......

Message 16 of 59
latest reply

lol, so just saw the address and was a reshipper...........  you should be ok

Message 17 of 59
latest reply

@jlb2 wrote:

This is the address I sent to box to:

13820 NE Airport Way Ste 79251
Portland, OR 97251
United States

Google the address. That is a reshipper.

You are golden, the buyer lost any protection when a reshipper was used. If a case is filed, you need to call and let Ebay know the buyer forfeited their MBG when they used a reshipper. Point them to the policy posted upthread, and point them to the Google results of the address. You are only responsible for delivery to the Paypal address, which is not in Canada.

ETA the buyer CAN file a SNAD with Paypal, but THEY will be required to pay return shipping no matter the reason for the case.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 18 of 59
latest reply

OOOOOPSY!!!! thats a reshipper so nothing much they can do ebay wise and unless they are well versed in the system nothing much paypal wise either....

Message 19 of 59
latest reply

Here's another question...

She already left positive feedback, can she go back and change it now?

Message 20 of 59
latest reply

Noopers..... Its no big deal anyhow they can buy the slag glass and have it cut for $30.00 or less the metal is the part you don't want damaged....

Message 21 of 59
latest reply

I thought I had some listed,but my wife snagged it for her store....

Message 22 of 59
latest reply

You explained in detail how you packed it and that sounds good except for one thing.  You said you wrapped the shade in bubble wrap- but didn't mention you filled the shade up with with peanuts or fully stuffing the hollow part the shade before wrapping it up in bubble wrap.  Visualize this---you have a small above the ground pool.  When it's filled with water you can't push the walls in.  When it's empty you can push on the wall and because it meets no resistance you can push it in.   If someone pushed on the  box it can crack the glass.   You said you put the plastic container (the whole thing) in another box  to ship.  The outer box needed to be several inches larger than the storage container and you needed to have that space filled with packing material as well.  

Message 23 of 59
latest reply

@jlb2 wrote:

This is the address I sent to box to:

13820 NE Airport Way Ste 79251
Portland, OR 97251
United States

https://www.google.com/search?q=13820+NE+Airport+Way+Ste+79251+Portland%2C+OR+97251&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-...

FREIGHT FORWARDER

I'm not a lawyer, I don't even play one on TV

Blink Blink
Message 24 of 59
latest reply

@jlb2 wrote:

Here's another question...

She already left positive feedback, can she go back and change it now?

NOPE

I'm not a lawyer, I don't even play one on TV

Blink Blink
Message 25 of 59
latest reply

Hi, I know exactly what you mean and I did stuff the inside of the shade tightly with wadded paper and bubble wrap. Then I wrapped the whole thing in small bubble wrap...then in large bubble wrap.

I also put a slab of styrofoam on the bottom and the top of the box so there was some insulation between the two boxes...in addition to the styrofoam in the plastic tub.

My husband and I were just talking about this and he said maybe the re-shipper unpacked the box and didn't do a good job of repacking before they sent it on to her.

IDK, I guess that's possible, but that seems like a lot of work for them to do for no reason.

Message 26 of 59
latest reply

Antique glass is very brittle and it isn't a hit that cracks it its the sudden stop concussion from a drop that cracks it. Glass has gotten a lot more shock resistent since the 1920s....

Message 27 of 59
latest reply

I think it's terrible a seller gets to shirk their responsibility and they're not held accountable for breakage due to insufficient packaging because it was forwarded.

Generally an item won't break unless it was run over or the packaging was insuffient.  You have to pack it like you can throw it throw it down a flight of stairs and it doesn't break.  

Message 28 of 59
latest reply

I honestly don't know what else I could have done to ensure this would arrive unbroken.

I am not shirking my responsibility. I insured the package for the full amount but now I'm not sure the insurance will pay because it was shipped to another address. I would think the insurance would only be good to the address it was shipped to.

Message 29 of 59
latest reply

If you were the involved party would you just send them a full refund and allow them to keep the merchandise? What solution would you offer to solve the problem?

Message 30 of 59
latest reply