cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are your thoughts on the AI generated item descriptions?

As a buyer (and sometimes seller) I find the AI generated descriptions either irritating or at least unhelpful.  Seems like most of those descriptions treat me like a buyer who can't think for themselves or don't really know what they want or like.  Almost no actual information in them.  As a seller, AI doesn't talk in my voice.  In the past, sellers have been encouraged to be direct and brief because apparently when seen on a cell phone, the listing can be truncated or buyers don't scroll down.  I haven't used the AI descriptions.  Just wondering if you have and what your opinions are on them; or if you don't use them and why.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: What are your thoughts on the AI generated item descriptions?

I won't buy a listing with AI description. I want the truth - a basic but thorough and honest description of the item the HUMAN is looking at and selling. I want to hear the sound of a human when I read the description...bad grammar & spelling is better than a fluffy collection of words created by a non-human that has ZERO clue about the actual item.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

They are full of fluff and irrelevant to the actual product.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

I don't use them since I've always writen my own descriptions. I have basically the same format that I use for all my listings. Also I've heard that the AI generated descriptions are way to wordy and sound ridiculous.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

More chat here:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Using-AI-option-for-description/m-p/34445647

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/AI-Generated-Descriptions-has-it-been-helpful/m-p/34311208

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

@css2001 wrote:

I don't use them since I've always writen my own descriptions. I have basically the same format that I use for all my listings. Also I've heard that the AI generated descriptions are way too wordy and sound ridiculous.

It's trivial to detect an AI description. They are indeed wordy and ridiculous. I might have suggested a drinking game where you have to take a shot of tequila whenever you come across the phrase "must-have" in an AI description, except that, well, one Precious Moments™ listing and I'd be under the table...

In a nutshell, I would say that using AI in a product description makes the seller look lazy and the product sound ridiculous.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Instead of using eBay's AI, I asked Bing co-pilot to compose a listing and it was already formatted, you only have to copy and paste: "Compose a listing for the online sale of Beautiful Oriental CHENG'S White Jade Porcelain 5 7/8" Tea Mug with Diffuser Brand New

Certainly! Here’s a listing for the Beautiful Oriental CHENG’S White Jade Porcelain 5 7/8" Tea Mug with Diffuser:

Title: Beautiful Oriental CHENG’S White Jade Porcelain 5 7/8" Tea Mug with Diffuser Brand New

Description: This exquisite tea mug combines elegance and functionality. Crafted from Cheng’s White Jade Porcelain, it features delicate blue and white cherry blossom designs. The mug comes with a built-in diffuser, making it perfect for loose-leaf tea enthusiasts. Whether you’re sipping your favorite green tea or enjoying a soothing herbal blend, this mug adds a touch of sophistication to your tea-drinking experience.

Features:

• Material: Cheng’s White Jade Porcelain
  • Size: 5 7/8" (height)
  • Design: Blue and white cherry blossom motif
  • Includes: Removable diffuser for loose-leaf tea
  • Condition: Brand new, never used
  • Microwave Safe: Yes

Price: $xxxx

If you’re interested in adding a touch of elegance to your tea time, this Beautiful Oriental CHENG’S White Jade Porcelain tea mug is the perfect choice! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or would like to make a purchase. 🍵

Happy tea sipping! 🌸🍵

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@whiteparrot2003 

Al will get better. There is probably a system in place that sees your complaint and the data is used to get better at updating the code. 

Either that or it will overtake our thought process and ‘dumb us down’ over time. They will get smarter than us. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@dryophelia wrote:

@whiteparrot2003 

Either that or it will overtake our thought process and ‘dumb us down’ over time. They will get smarter than us. 

Reality TV and social media have already done this. 

CONSERVITVS  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay member since: 1996

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

AI description?

Buyers may hit the back button & move on to another seller

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

I won't buy a listing with AI description. I want the truth - a basic but thorough and honest description of the item the HUMAN is looking at and selling. I want to hear the sound of a human when I read the description...bad grammar & spelling is better than a fluffy collection of words created by a non-human that has ZERO clue about the actual item.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

AI makes items sound like cheap trinkets. Soon AI will add "but wait! Order now and get a 2nd one free!"

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

It's like eBays pre-filled-in guessing the price that you want to list it for and the lowest offer you take, complete nonsense waiting to hose you down with an item not as desribed. 

We learned all we need to know about AI with companies customer service chat-bots. 

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

They stink. I'm glad I'm old.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@whiteparrot2003 wrote:

Almost no actual information in them.

If course it has no information that is not in the title or item specifics. AI is not magic, so it cannot discover facts about an item that it has not been told.

All it can really do is generate an English description based on re-stating the title and item specifics.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

If a seller has trinkets or items that are not needs, I could see the AI input as being helpful to entice sales. 

No way would I use it for computer room or voice and data related items that I sell.  I write my own or get them from the manufacturer's site.

Posting ID
Message 15 of 19
latest reply