cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS suspends delivery due to dangerous cold Jan 31 -- second day in a row

http://about.usps.com/newsroom/service-alerts/welcome.htm

USPS suspends delivery because of bitter arctic blast

Extreme cold continues to grip parts of the country, with record-breaking low temperatures and dangerous wind chills. Due to the extreme weather conditions, the Postal Service has temporarily suspended delivery service in certain locations on Jan. 31 to ensure the safety and well-being of our employees. The service disruptions will affect the following 3-digit ZIP Code locations:

• Michigan: 486-491, 493-499
  • Indiana: 460-469, 472-475, 478, 479
  • Chicago: 606-608
  • Lakeland: 530-532, 534, 535, 537-539, 541-545, 549, 600, 602, 601, 611
  • Detroit: 480-485, 492
  • Illinois: 601, 603-605, 609, 613, 614, 616, 617, 618, 627
  • Northern Ohio (Toledo area): 436
  • Western Pennsylvania (Erie, Bradford areas): 164, 165, 167

The Postal Service will assess suspending other potential delivery areas based on temperature and wind chill forecasts.

We will provide additional information when it becomes available.

The disruptions seem to be moving towards the East. People east of Illinois and Michigan should take note.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: USPS suspends delivery due to dangerous cold Jan 31 -- second day in a row

@lacemaker3 wrote:

http://about.usps.com/newsroom/service-alerts/welcome.htm

USPS suspends delivery because of bitter arctic blast

Extreme cold continues to grip parts of the country, with record-breaking low temperatures and dangerous wind chills. Due to the extreme weather conditions, the Postal Service has temporarily suspended delivery service in certain locations on Jan. 31 to ensure the safety and well-being of our employees. The service disruptions will affect the following 3-digit ZIP Code locations:

• Michigan: 486-491, 493-499
  • Indiana: 460-469, 472-475, 478, 479
  • Chicago: 606-608
  • Lakeland: 530-532, 534, 535, 537-539, 541-545, 549, 600, 602, 601, 611
  • Detroit: 480-485, 492
  • Illinois: 601, 603-605, 609, 613, 614, 616, 617, 618, 627
  • Northern Ohio (Toledo area): 436
  • Western Pennsylvania (Erie, Bradford areas): 164, 165, 167

The Postal Service will assess suspending other potential delivery areas based on temperature and wind chill forecasts.

We will provide additional information when it becomes available.

The disruptions seem to be moving towards the East. People east of Illinois and Michigan should take note

Thank you for the information . The only thing I worry about besides the poor people and animals  who  must suffer through  the rough weather  is getting  dinged by e bay for late deliveries in those areas because of the post office closures . E bay took away my top rated seller status  right after  the last holiday rush  because the P.O  were delivering my packages late . I hope they take the current weather conditions  into account  before we get punished any further . Tulips 

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Not to be facetious, but this gives new meaning to the words, But Baby, it's cold outside. Apologies to those who are against this song.
Message 3 of 25
latest reply

There is an end in sight to this.

Forecasts for a few days from now (Sat through Wed) are for temps in the 40s.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

Here in North Carolina we are going from 15 this morning to high 60s and 70s by Tuesday. In North Carolina if you don't like the weather just wait a minute and it will change.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Mid IL here,

got up and it was -17 below outside.  (actual temp, not windchill)

The car did start, but the kitchen pipes are frozen,

just a trickle of brown rusty water.

I see mail delivery is off, I wonder if USPS counters are open to drop off packages?

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Yesterday I had some tracking showing exception cold delay, but today all seems to be back on track.

As for drop off, I don't know.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Is Old California affected? Since 25 january the tracking is frozen.

One sale a day, tomorrow the entire Galaxy!
Message 8 of 25
latest reply

@18704d wrote:

I see mail delivery is off, I wonder if USPS counters are open to drop off packages?

Yes. I've dropped off packages both yesterday and today at my local PO. (Note that the USPS announcement refers to deliveries, not business in general.) I'm within the affected 600xx area, so we're not getting any mail, although it might be possible to pick up your mail in person at your local PO. You could ask.

I asked about inbound packages I was expecting either yesterday or today, but they said that no truck had shown up this morning, so their inbound stuff was probably still sitting at the regional sort in Palatine, IL. The items I sent yesterday are showing Acceptance, but that's followed by a PROCESSING EXCEPTION/WEATHER DELAY log entry, so... it'll get there when it gets there.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but ISTR that as long as you meet any one of the three conditions for fulfilling your Shipping obligation, you won't get dinged for a late shipment, and the first of those conditions is an Acceptance scan by the carrier within your Handling time to show that it's in their possession. Once that's done, a weather delay following should not be an issue, yes?

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

@turquoisetulips wrote:

Thank you for the information . The only thing I worry about besides the poor people and animals  who  must suffer through  the rough weather  is getting  dinged by e bay for late deliveries in those areas because of the post office closures . E bay took away my top rated seller status  right after  the last holiday rush  because the P.O  were delivering my packages late . I hope they take the current weather conditions  into account  before we get punished any further . Tulips 

Just a note about your comment of losing TRS due to late deliveries.  If you obtain an acceptance scan within your handling time, then no ding is given to you for a late delivery.   I had an item take over a month to arrive and the arrival estimate was just a few days, but I got no ding for that.   Those closings are really bad for sellers in those areas since they may not be able to get those timely acceptance scans.

Also, if you find that often you are unable to get that scan within your chosen handling time, you can extend your handling and still retain TRS status.  What is your handling time?

@turquoisetulips 

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

I have a ground package shipped from new jersey to Oregon that is sitting in Hodgkins IL  and it says 'severe weather conditions have delayed delivery"

some people might not realize, and I hope eBay realizes, that even though the sender and the recipient aren't affected, many things have to go through this mess. Plus that truck that is parked in IL might have been scheduled for a pick up in Texas that can't happen without the truck.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Hopefully everyone so affected will understand that this is an Act of God.

No one can control the weather.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

@lacemaker3 wrote:

Here in North Carolina we are going from 15 this morning to high 60s and 70s by Tuesday. In North Carolina if you don't like the weather just wait a minute and it will change.

Just made a tee time for Tuesday; supposed to be 65 in NoVA.  The muscles necessary for golf, however, have turned into blobs of goo after sitting on gluteus maximus since the first of November or so.  

Should be warm enough (a relative term - I define it by how many layers I have to wear) this weekend to walk the short course for a few holes; we just wander on from the house.

My Shipping Department just left for the post office; Priority packages going to SD and NYC.  I assume they'll make it by air.  That also has really slowed mail delivery;  I know O'Hare basically shut down due to airplane fuel freezing.  Which is kind of scary to think about while at 35,000 feet ...

I am definitely scaling this ebay enterprise waaaaay back once spring arrives.  Probably in mid-July at the rate things are going.   But I've worked a lot more in 2019 than I had planned, just because there's nothing else to do.  Did I mention I hate snow and cold?

My daughter lives and works in 606 but still has to take the train to and fro.  She's a professor and not working today (or Tuesday or Wednesday).  

Edit:  The Palatine Distribution center is next to the USPS Air something or other facility.  That's why both are so close to O'Hare.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 13 of 25
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:
I know O'Hare basically shut down due to airplane fuel freezing.  Which is kind of scary to think about while at 35,000 feet ...

Well, no, it's always that cold at 35,000 feet. Smiley Happy However, they were having problems with deicing the planes before takeoff, and Diesel fuel in trucks was gelling in the cold too.

Edit:  The Palatine Distribution center is next to the USPS Air something or other facility.  That's why both are so close to O'Hare.

Might you be thinking of the Irving Park Road facility, and its proximity to the Chicago International Service Center (ISC) for O'Hare Airport? There's also the Chicago Metro Hub in Elk Grove Village, which I see in a lot of my outbound shipment tracking. The Palatine Distribution Center is up in, well, Palatine (I would go by it on the train every day in my daily commute), and I see it most often mentioned in inbound tracking to the Chicago area. (In other words, Irving Park and Elk Grove seem to consolidate outbound traffic; Palatine splits out inbound traffic.)

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

I'm in one of the listed Michigan zones, and we had no mail service on Tuesday, Wednesday, or today. We live in a small town and went to our post office for our mail today, and there was only one piece of mail, which tells me that the trucks haven't even been coming out of the distribution center. I'm sure trucks and planes bringing mail into the distribution center have been delayed also. The roads around here have been a total mess.

We had low temps last night of  15 below with wind chills in excess of 40 below. Next, it's supposed to warm up to around 50 with lots of rain by Monday, so this foot and a half or so of snow will all melt and make for a sloppy mess and flooding. Talk about a weather roller coaster!

Message 15 of 25
latest reply