cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping and handling

Hi everyone, please advise me and be blunt if I'm out of line. I have a large dollhouse  and it is pickup only. I priced it low because it is only pickup. However after a few messages with interested buyers wanting me to ship, i managed to disassemble to ship in two boxes.  Unfortunately, I used up my 20.00 bubble wrap roll just on this house. Buyer interested wants me to send package weight and dimensions to them so they can pay from there to get it cheaper? Not sure how that works....but now I'm losing money on this house...should I ask for a handling fee? List house again higher? I'm not sure what to do. Would 15.00 handling fee be too much? Usually I put that into the price of the widget.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Shipping and handling

Never let a buyer send you a shipping label. 

Shipping and handling

Letting the buyer send you a label is probably a violation of eBay's, no sales off eBay rule as they get their % on the shipping as well as the item price.

You need to include the cost of your shipping materials either in the price of the item or the cost of the shipping.  And never let a buyer talk you into shipping something using a carrier you aren't comfortable with.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Shipping and handling

@dtexley3 wrote:

Letting the buyer send you a label is probably a violation of eBay's, no sales off eBay rule as they get their % on the shipping as well as the item price.

You need to include the cost of your shipping materials either in the price of the item or the cost of the shipping.  And never let a buyer talk you into shipping something using a carrier you aren't comfortable with.

The real reason is that the buyer can reroute the shipment, then file an INR and win.

OP -  now that you have it packed, relist it with shipping. You'll need to use a flat rate charge, since you can't use the calculator for multiple packages(at least I don't think so, nor would I trust it if they did).

Shipping and handling

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

The real reason is that the buyer can reroute the shipment, then file an INR and win.

OP -  now that you have it packed, relist it with shipping. You'll need to use a flat rate charge, since you can't use the calculator for multiple packages(at least I don't think so, nor would I trust it if they did).

ok now I can tell the OP how to figure shipping. Figure it for the furthest shipping zone. If it sells closer to you, great, more profit, if it goes all the way to the futhest zone, youre covered

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Shipping and handling

Yes, agree with D-K, relist with shipping, with that $20 of bubblewrap in the cost too, and with bold lettering in the listing that the dollhouse will have to be reassembled. If you can, fit that somehow into the title "some assembly required" is the usual wordage. 

Figure out exactly what it is going to cost you to ship it. Add your bubblewrap and time and insurance costs, and box to wrap it in, whatever is a cost of mailing this item, include it all. 

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Shipping and handling

Revise the listing with the updated information and costs.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Shipping and handling

It is my understanding if the buyer arranges shipping then they lose MBG. Not a bad thing.

Not covered

• Buyer remorse or any reason other than not receiving an item or receiving an item that isn’t as described in the listing (see the seller’s return policy for return options).

• Items damaged during local pick-up.

• Items not delivered, damaged during collection, or damaged during shipment when the buyer arranges pick-up or shipping of the item (for instance, the buyer arranges freight).

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Shipping and handling

Thank you so much...everyone!! So I do a flat rate? To someplace in California then? How does it work if a buyer is closer...how do I refund them the difference?

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Shipping and handling

I usually split it a little, add a little to the price and lower the shipping a little. No need to refund the difference. 

My standard shipping high cost zip is 90210, easy to remember.

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Shipping and handling

"You'll need to use a flat rate charge, since you can't use the calculator for multiple packages(at least I don't think so, nor would I trust it if they di d)."

I ship multi package shipments daily  What I do when I set up the listing is put in the largest box I will use.  Then weigh the ENTIRE shipment and then add 10 pounds.  The extra 10 pounds covers theh extra "box" weight.  I have been selling large dish sets for several years like this.  It always has worked out within a couple of $$.

If the entire weight is over 70 pounds, which I beleive is the max weight for FEDEX Smartpost/Parcel Select I add $20.00 or more depending on how much over 70 pounds to the handling fee to cover the extra weight.  Works out well.

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Shipping and handling

You have to be careful too not only about how much a regular package is to ship - but if the boxes you use are considered oversized - which incurs differnt postage rates.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Shipping and handling

Oh dear, now I have an angry potential buyer. I ended it, and am about to relist it with all revisions, but the buyer seems to think that even though she didn't buy the dollhouse, i went back on my word, and now is upset I am relisting at higher price...was it a done deal? Am I in the wrong? All I did was say I was going to get a quote, not, "it's yours".

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Shipping and handling

Explain to her that there are packaging costs associated with having to ship the item, does she not agree? . If she is irate, block her before relisting the item or quickly after. She has zero rights to demand anything of you. Irate people are usually trouble after the sale too. 

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Shipping and handling

@hightidealong wrote:

Thank you so much...everyone!! So I do a flat rate? To someplace in California then? How does it work if a buyer is closer...how do I refund them the difference?

@hightidealong

On a fixed price item if you do not have "immediate payment required" you can put in large text for the buyer to wait for an invoice from you with adjusted shipping if you are not comfortable overcharging for shipping.

Add your supplies cost into the listing price rather than the shipping cost. Overcharging even when the buyer agrees to the price by buying the item sometimes results in irate buyers.

Do not put a large "handling fee" in the mix. That also make some buyers irate even though they have agreed to costs.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply