cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Putting a clickable link in a ebay message.

A potential customer emailed me asking if I had a certain item.

I happen to have two different ones for sale.

I tried to reply with two clickable links but they don't work.

I could have swore that you used to be able to send links in a ebay message?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Putting a clickable link in a ebay message.

No, they aren't clickable in the message..........I sent you one back............I guess my buyers were just copy/pasting and I didn't realize it.........

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Well thanks anyways.

As @hartungcards said, getting THIS particular buyer to copy and paste a URL is out of the question.

Have  great rest of the weekend!

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 17 of 23
latest reply

i just message from one account to the other..

it was not clickable within ebay messages

it was clickable through my gmail view (which sync's with ebay)

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

I just tried a little testing on older messages I had sent which contained links,  it does seem that the links are no longer clickable.

But

I have a somewhat convoluted email forwarding system to manage multiple email accounts and utilizing both webmail (cloud) via Outlook 365 and Gmail and eventually ending up on my desktop client (Thunderbird) which is my repository of 24 years of email history.

The old (July) message does not show a hot link when sent, they don't have a hot link in step 1 (Outlook) and they don't have a hot link when they get to Thunderbird. For some reason they DO have a hotlink when viewed via Gmail online!

If I'm inspired I will try creating a a new series of messages between my accounts to see if this is still the same.

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

@monica-sells wrote:

i just message from one account to the other..

it was not clickable within ebay messages

it was clickable through my gmail view (which sync's with ebay)

Yes, eBay sends any URL link within messages (such as a link to one of your listings) as plain text. A third-party utility reading that message, such as Gmail, will recognize the syntax of a URL (generally, any unbroken string of characters beginning with "https://") and display it as a clickable hyperlink. The Khoros discussion group software here can do the same thing.

(Not all email readers will do that for you. If yours does not, you will need to do your own copy-and-paste to put that link into your browser address field.)

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

I was just trying to figure that out as well. Great information in here! I am fairly new to eBay and I am old so that has it's own challenges!

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

Be careful with that one! Might end up having to give 50% off after they receive the item! I think a lot of questions may be fine if the item is pretty expensive though.

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

I don't think you've been able to send clickable links in eBay messages for a long time.  I know I've seen messages that I included links to eBay items before that were definitely not clickable.

Message 23 of 23
latest reply