cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment Dispute Help & Appeal

Someone please help me understand how this payment dispute was ruled against me?

A buyer bought a $10 trading card. I shipped using the EBay Standard Envelope shipping for trading cards, which has issues with the tracking updating correctly sometimes. Cards get delivered without the tracking updating to the final destination, which is frustrating. But most buyers are honest so it's not a big deal, and most orders are insured up to $20.

This card was out for delivery in the correct zip code over a month ago, but never arrived according to the tracking. This happens dozens of times a month with our orders, but the cards are always delivered, the tracking just is screwed up and is done through Ebay, so it's not under anything I can control. But the buyer filed a payment dispute with their credit card company, not EBay, even though the credit card matches the buyers name and address.

Somehow the dispute was ruled in favor of the buyer because the item isn't delivered, and I can't file an insurance claim because the buyer didn't file their missing item claim through Ebay.

Even if the buyer is somehow being completely honest, how am I at fault at all? EBays tracking, Ebays poor verification allowing a stolen credit card (allegedly) or the buyers dishonesty ... and somehow its my fault despite shipping the card correctly and quickly?

And to top things off, filing an appeal is a complete mess. I think I have to chat with an agent to do it, which I will, but that needs some serious updating on the site too.

Because it's only $10 it's not a huge deal but it's just so frustrating and demoralizing when a buyer can be so blatant about their lies and still get away with it because of a faulty EBay tracking system and review policy.

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Payment Dispute Help & Appeal

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

A dispute with a credit card bank where probably buyer is saying they do not recognize the purchase. You won't win with the bank...and appealing with the bank might charge you $20.

Just file with eBay for a refund which I think eBay does with eBay standard envelope...does take a while to get refunded by eBay though.

@12345jamesstamps 

I have seen you make similar comments a few times...Do you know there is more than one type of payment dispute?

"Doesn't recognize the purchase" is a slam dunk win for the seller if you have tracking showing it was delivered to the address on the order.

The seller would have won the 'item not received' payment dispute here if there was tracking to show it was delivered too.

You can read all about payment disputes here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/handling-payment-disputes?id=4799

Message 31 of 35
latest reply

I won 2 disputes. I can only go by my experience.

I lost my first dispute because I didn't know what they were then.

Here's a reply on one: "Here's the dispute outcome":

"The buyer's payment institution sided with you and there's nothing

else you need to do."

"The buyer did not recognize the transaction."

"A decision has been made about the dispute that was filed by------."

"The dispute was found in your favor".

And tracking....I don't usually use it for inexpensive orders.

So one is basically dealing with a bank...eBay steps aside.

So what you read in writing is not always true.

Not sure what experience you might have. 

Did I win without using tracking....it's how one approaches a dispute doing in a polite and businesslike way because you are also talking to the bank.

Message 32 of 35
latest reply

Yet you tell people they "won't win with the bank" in a not recognized dispute as I highlighted when I replied to your other post.

Have a nice weekend.

Message 33 of 35
latest reply

This will be my final post on the topic.

Almost nobody's suggestions were correct, except the first, extremely helpful suggestion from @sin-n-dex .

Insurance ended up covering the payment dispute, as @crazystuff4sale said, the payment dispute would've been won easily had the tracking been updated correctly. Because the tracking never updated, insurance was given.

Everything worked out in the end, and a few helpful people here reminded me why this community is useful, even with the few people who seemingly comment on every single thread with incorrect arguments. Strange, but expected.

Thanks again to everyone!

Message 34 of 35
latest reply

Nothing I said was incorrect, and your situation isn't unique.

Buyer being made whole has nothing to do with insurance.

You will lose to eBay and charge backs if you don't have delivered tracking.

Buyer should be made whole.

You fight for insurance coverage on the side.

I'd suggest reading the policies and coverage that are provided because you don't seem to be aware of them based on your replies.

Message 35 of 35
latest reply