cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looks Like A Bumpy Road Ahead

Now that eBay has released their Q1 report, sellers may wonder what's ahead for Q2 or Q3? From what I'm reading and watching, even from Lannone himself, it looks a little concerning. If you're struggling now as a seasoned seller, or if you're new to the platform, the next few months (or maybe longer) will most likely be challenging to say the least.  My advice is to prepare proactively instead of facing disappointment reactively. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVYWEyoeti4

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ebay-shares-fall-weak-revenue-202514910.html

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/ebay-etsys-q1-earnings-signaling-160255150.html

Message 1 of 153
latest reply
152 REPLIES 152

Re: Looks Like A Bumpy Road Ahead

@farmalljr wrote:

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

About 80% of ebay sellers are responsible for about 20% of sales, and about 20% of ebay sellers are responsible for 80% of sales. So, yes, collectively smaller sellers far outnumber larger sellers.

Small sellers and casual sellers are different things.

A casual seller is someone who is getting rid of junk around the house. They are not out sourcing things to sell here. 

Most small sellers (those who buy inventory to resell) are actually hoarders in disguise.  They buy more junk to sell then  they actually sell. So while 80% are getting 20% of the sales, that should tell you two things:

1 Those sellers may be doing things wrong, because they get such a small slice of sales. 

2 eBay does not really like small sellers, especially if they are not letting eBay have enough of their money. 

A large seller who sells 1000 items a day, makes as many fees for eBay as 1000 sellers who sell one item a day. 

Do I assume that you know "most" of the millions of smaller sellers here?

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 76 of 153
latest reply

My Feelings EXACTLY, I could not have stated those facts any better myself. I concur 110 percent. I also have cut back on my buying for these same reasons!

Message 77 of 153
latest reply

@farmalljr wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@gurlcat wrote:

I could be wrong but I'd suspect that true hobby and clutter-ridding sellers make up a very small portion of the eBay seller base.  You'd have to be pretty well-off to not literally NEED more money nowadays.  

I don't believe that is true.  The number may have changed, but the last time I saw it, small and casual sellers make up about 80% of the seller base on Ebay.  We are the largest section of sellers on the site.

You are not a small casual seller. 

I most certainly a small seller.  I didn't say that in what you highlighted, but it was in the sentence before it.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 78 of 153
latest reply

@farmalljr wrote:

About 80% of ebay sellers are responsible for about 20% of sales, and about 20% of ebay sellers are responsible for 80% of sales. So, yes, collectively smaller sellers far outnumber larger sellers.

A casual seller is someone who is getting rid of junk around the house. They are not out sourcing things to sell here. 

Most small sellers (those who buy inventory to resell) are actually hoarders in disguise.  They buy more junk to sell then  they actually sell. So while 80% are getting 20% of the sales, that should tell you two things:

1 Those sellers may be doing things wrong, because they get such a small slice of sales. 

2 eBay does not really like small sellers, especially if they are not letting eBay have enough of their money. 

A large seller who sells 1000 items a day, makes as many fees for eBay as 1000 sellers who sell one item a day. 

Casual sellers do not have to be just selling junk around the house.  I've know sellers that pick up a few things at yard sales or even a really good sale at a B&M, then put them up for sale on Ebay.  They only list occasionally, but is isn't just used stuff from their closets.  There is a very diverse group of people that sell on Ebay.

Your assumption that small sellers are "hoarders in disguise" is totally offensive and untrue.  I hoard nothing, I have a big enough house to do it, but I simply hate clutter.  My inventory is on shelves and/or in closets.  I know many sellers that are not hoarders.  Not all small sellers sell used items, there are plenty of us that sell new things.

Your opinion, but not a fact "eBay does not really like small sellers, especially if they are not letting eBay have enough of their money. "

Message 79 of 153
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@gurlcat wrote:

@farmalljr wrote:

Most small sellers (those who buy inventory to resell) are actually hoarders in disguise.  They buy more junk to sell then  they actually sell.

And how/where did you get this idea?  

Looking at their prices, I would imagine. There are a lot of sellers who are totally delulu about how much the stuff they're selling is actually worth.

What does that have to do with hoarding?

Message 80 of 153
latest reply

@sakic92710 wrote:

With eBay, it does not matter.  Even when I had tracking, still had to refund a handful of times.

Having tracking and having tracking that shows delivery are two different things.  Ebay's seller protection for INRs is strong if the seller abides by the rules for shipping.

Message 81 of 153
latest reply

What do you think the rule should be if a buyer is refunded on Thursday THEN tracking shows delivery on Monday?

Message 82 of 153
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@farmalljr wrote:

Do I assume that you know "most" of the millions of smaller sellers here?

Numbers don't lie. 80% of the sellers, sell 20% of the sold items. 

That means 80% of the listed items are held by "small sellers" and they only sell 20% of the total items listed on the platform. 

I don't need to know each of them individually. But just looking into other people's stores, it still holds true. Most small sellers move next to no product. 

Message 83 of 153
latest reply

They are not my opinions, they are statements of facts. Like it or not, it's human nature to become emotionally attached to "things". Sellers become emotionally attached to their inventory. If that were not true, there would not be storage units EVERYWHERE, full of junk people hoard. A unit where they throw/store their junk they don't really need, because they can't bring themselves to throw it away or sell it. 

Seller are the same way here. Junk listed for months/years on end that won't sell and they can't bring themselves to get rid of it in some fashion or form. Stores do not have the same emotional attachment to inventory. If it's not selling, they get rid of the inventory and move something else in it's place. They aren't going to let inventory collect dust for months or years waiting on that ONE special buyer to stumble in and buy one. 

Often times when people find the truth "offensive" it's because they don't want to face the truth. Ask yourself something. If something happened to you today, would your kids keep and cherish your inventory, or would they dumpster it or call an auction house to deal with it? Most things you may see as valuable and "not hoarding" would be seen as junk and a problem to deal with by others. We hear this ALL the time from other, aging sellers, who's kids do NOT want to deal with their junk if they would happen to die. 

Message 84 of 153
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@yuzuha wrote:

@gurlcat wrote:

@farmalljr wrote:

Most small sellers (those who buy inventory to resell) are actually hoarders in disguise.  They buy more junk to sell then  they actually sell.

And how/where did you get this idea?  

Looking at their prices, I would imagine. There are a lot of sellers who are totally delulu about how much the stuff they're selling is actually worth.

What does that have to do with hoarding?

Emotional attachment, that's what. 

Message 85 of 153
latest reply

I'd like to know the original source of this alleged 80/20 thing.  Doesn't sound like real data to me. 

Message 86 of 153
latest reply

That's ridiculous. Small sellers aren't hoarders. If they were they wouldn't want to sell that stuff. 

Message 87 of 153
latest reply

So it's a fact since you say it is? 

Message 88 of 153
latest reply

It all depends what you are selling . 15 years ago you couldn't give VHS away now certain ones are fetching $100+ . 2 years from now you probably won't be able to give them away again.

Message 89 of 153
latest reply

Ebay will probably start suspending accounts unfairly for lack of performance/sales

Message 90 of 153
latest reply