cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looks Like A Bumpy Road Ahead

Now that eBay has released their Q1 report, sellers may wonder what's ahead for Q2 or Q3? From what I'm reading and watching, even from Lannone himself, it looks a little concerning. If you're struggling now as a seasoned seller, or if you're new to the platform, the next few months (or maybe longer) will most likely be challenging to say the least.  My advice is to prepare proactively instead of facing disappointment reactively. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVYWEyoeti4

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ebay-shares-fall-weak-revenue-202514910.html

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/ebay-etsys-q1-earnings-signaling-160255150.html

Message 1 of 153
latest reply
152 REPLIES 152

Re: Looks Like A Bumpy Road Ahead

Good Post pls-consignments

Always be prepared for a downturn. (sufficient inventory, cash reserves and adaptation)

When the selling forecast is calling for hard times, buying opportunities will present themselves.

Message 2 of 153
latest reply

I didn't vote for him.

Message 3 of 153
latest reply

@pls-consignments 

Thanks for posting, will read the links in time.  For my account it started to tank in early 2022 and continues to decline.  April this year was the 9th April selling and it ranked in 7th place ... 

On the year the account is THOUSANDS of dollars behind in sales ... 

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 4 of 153
latest reply

Since eBay is not growing, and it needs to show profits to its shareholders ... then eBay has got to continue to find new ways to milk more and more profit from sellers.  It used to be that it wasn't worth the time and energy to sell anything under $10 on here ... that number is approaching $20.

Emaciated Cow.png

Message 5 of 153
latest reply

The results were better than I expected and not all that off from analyst's predictions.

They can improve their profit if they shed the right sellers.

We all know from the slow sales/no sales threads what categories need to get trimmed.

Not surprising that Ebay is losing marketshare to bigger e-commerce players. Ebay is under 5% marketshare in e-commerce and pretty irrelevant to other than its sellers and buyers of collectibles.

If it reduces its overhead and eliminates unprofitable activities it can survive - unlike Etsy, for example. There is no comparable marketplace for collectibles.

Message 6 of 153
latest reply

So, this is where the crocodile hiding in the water takes down the weaker members of the herd, so that the rest may survive?

Message 7 of 153
latest reply

@orangehound wrote:

Since eBay is not growing, and it needs to show profits to its shareholders ... then eBay has got to continue to find new ways to milk more and more profit from sellers.  

That's the plan !

Message 8 of 153
latest reply

EBay reported $370M net revenue from seller ads in Q1. I don't mind being a life-line for eBay. I just wish eBay would show their appreciation for it with more transparency. 

If ad revenue is keeping them from falling off the cliff of irrelevance, then even AI isn't going to sustain them.

Message 9 of 153
latest reply

I'm weird.

I've been selling on ebay for 20+ years.

I don't care who's in the oval office.

I don't care who the ebay CEO is.

I don't concern myself with ebay quarterly reports.

I don't concern myself with ebay stock numbers.

I just keep plugging away selling and trying to make sales.

Every year my sales/profits have gone up.

Am I the only one?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 10 of 153
latest reply

Relatively speaking of course.

@inhawaii wrote:

I'm weird.

I've been selling on ebay for 20+ years.

I don't care who's in the oval office.

I don't care who the ebay CEO is.

I don't concern myself with ebay quarterly reports.

I don't concern myself with ebay stock numbers.

I just keep plugging away selling and trying to make sales.

Every year my sales/profits have gone up.

Am I the only one?

Perhaps I should have qualified the word "sellers" with "full-time sellers", whose livelihood depends on it. We're happy that you and others are able to find your measure of success. 

Message 11 of 153
latest reply

If you're struggling now as a seasoned seller, or if you're new to the platform, the next few months (or maybe longer) will most likely be challenging to say the least. 

I'm curious why you say that.  My experience selling here since 2000 is that one must be extremely careful choosing what to sell.   There are lots of people in the USA who have money to spend, regardless of what is taking place in the economy.   (Similarly, there are lots of eBay sellers who are financially insulated from transient changes in eBay's own fortunes.  I have never relied solely on eBay or Amazon to support myself... way too risky.)

As for eBay deciding to make it more expensive for sellers to do business here as a means of raising revenue for its shareholders...  if eBay goes this route, it will be willfully consigning itself to oblivion, given that sellers ultimately are the source of much of its revenue.   eBay must remain an attractive place for sellers.  (I personally have no complaints.)

It seems to me that there is a fine line between seller fees that allow a seller to do business, and seller fees which cripple a seller and hinder him/her from doing business.   I do not believe that eBay has crossed the line.   Yet.

Would love to hear other perspectives.

Message 12 of 153
latest reply

@orangehound wrote:

Since eBay is not growing, and it needs to show profits to its shareholders ... then eBay has got to continue to find new ways to milk more and more profit from sellers.  

That's the plan !

For almost any business there are two ways to increase revenues. You either increase your price or you cut costs. EBay over the years has done both. 

While the introduction was not a price increase it was a scheme sellers bought into without making eBay look like the bad guy for doing a global FVF % increase. To date it has worked out VERY well for them. As for the other side of the coin I would consider the following a significant cost cutting measure. 

https://www.npr.org/2024/01/23/1226487001/ebay-to-lay-off-1-000-workers-as-tech-job-losses-continue-... 

Message 13 of 153
latest reply

So, this is where the crocodile hiding in the water takes down the weaker members of the herd, so that the rest may survive?

Possibly the herd finds a new watering hole. 

Message 14 of 153
latest reply

Tis the season. Slow down started a bit early this year, it's done that a few times in the past.  This is my time to build inventory for next season. Every year I go through the same thing. Its hard to stay motivated to make product when sales are in the dirt. I know they'll pick up, and I know everything I make will eventually sell.............

But...........but.................the suns out and the weather is perfect. I'm gonna go play instead.

🙂

Message 15 of 153
latest reply