cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Mercari and Others Eating Ebay’s Lunch?

How can Ebay continue to raise fees for sellers while traffic and sales decline and so much competition is out there?

Example For Sellers:

Mercari sellers pay 0% fees.  Cash out fees:  $2.00 per direct deposit or $3.00 per instant pay transfer.

Ebay sellers pay $0.35 after free insertion fees and in most categories minimum 13.25% - 15% FVF plus store fees, promotion ad fees, and other upgrade fees.

Example For Buyers:

Mercuri buyers pay 2.9% + 0.50 payment processing fee.

Ebay buyers pay 0% fees.

Message 1 of 115
latest reply
114 REPLIES 114

Re: Is Mercari and Others Eating Ebay’s Lunch?

Great reasons why I don't sell what Walmart does.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 106 of 115
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Great reasons why I don't sell what Walmart does.

I hear ya!

Walmart is but one example.  See for years on end supply chain has counted on authorized delist channel sellers.  Amazon called them "Anchor Tenants" back in the day.  uBid, Onsale, Overstock.com etc all basically that authorized business to consumer channel.  It's one the big reason you would see say at uBid everything starting bid at $7.  For example we'd prior generation motherboards for PC's and even if we sold that $100 motherboard for that $7 we were only at a loss of $8, obviously that didn't happen often.  Those mainboard be basically 6 months delisted, so still quite useful.

Most these business to consumer sites killed themselves off via fierce competition and as that happened Amazon sucked them in as did eBay.  Back in the day you'd even some of the retailer delist sold right here, Best Buy etc.  get banner placement at say eBay.  Those arrangements with manufacturers keep the unsold, open box etc. product from coming back to the manufacturer (or distributor) towards the price protection (credit) towards new merch.  Sort of a win win, they make exclusive arrangement.

This now is happening more and more whereby the retailers via the Internet are integrating those delisted products as blow out deals online.  They are using centralized warehousing to do so and helping manufacturer supply chain move unsold product.  I don't know how much that erodes those authorized delist resellers who do use Amazon and eBay, be interesting question.

But you get the point, the retailers are evolving how online commerce can operate.  Traditionally they completely ignore the delist channels.  Aside all of it they are better at evolving the technology.  You can get notifications on mobile devices, partnerships with cellphone providers is another thing beginning to shape up.  There is all this 3D technology being worked upon whether succeeds or not is of question.  But the point is Supply Chain can readily think outside the box, make new boxes whereby third party marketplaces really don't have that luxury.  They'd need to evolve the entire transacting mechanisms from ground up.

Now towards that end as I'd said some moons ago in a different thread there is a solution IMHO!  We designed it way back when with Amazon in mind, The Auction Mall.  Can call it whatever.  But point being it's an extensible hybrid commerce platform conceptually designed around the common mall in many ways.  Thus is has a natural evolutionary curve even towards 3D shopping should it come to bare.

Its a hybrid of commerce concept taking into account merch types, localization and not, live auction floors, search, browse and even advertising in a variety of forms.  Obviously it represents a considerable change from anything that exists online.  That's not to say there are not issues with the concept.  For example Amazon's CMO told my ex that every retailer online is going to be very displeased by it.

Why?  Well it puts mom and pop into a more known type shop environment with consumers and gives them a highly professional appearance.  Bob's clothing look like Macys instead of for example what is here or Mercari or even Amazon third party sellers.  Yet Bob's operating out of shipping containers.  Her response to that was, "Well... Macy's is in Malls.  Macy's can be in this mall."

Yea well... "We're Amazon we're not into platforming competitors."  Understandable.

They snatched the reverse price mechanism or so she says.  I've never been sure but she said they did.  What I do know is after the presentation we rode free, no fee's and they allowed us to use our re-pricer as long as we didn't sell it to any other sellers or sell the entire application to some other operation.

I think the concept is still valid today and for the foreseeable future.  Back in the day she presented it to chamber of commerce folks and everyone was WOW'd by it.  Next thing I know local venture capitalists are all a go, "Lets do it!"  I'm like wait what?  Huh? Who? Me?  Oh there's my dream be anchored to this Mall stuff for the rest of my days?  Nooooo thank you.  Eat, breathe and drink eCommerce?  I'd rather eat dye and _h_t!  LOL.

But Chapeau change is always on the horizon.  Perhaps in 10 years we've a large microwave where we place an order, atoms are scrambled and presto my underwear appears in the box.  Oh yes... I take a medium rare LOL. 

Message 107 of 115
latest reply

Mercari does not allow chargebacks. You initiate a chargeback on Mercari, your account is terminated on the spot. You have no clue as to what you are talking about. ebay tolerates fraud, Mercari does not.

Message 108 of 115
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

Mercari does not allow chargebacks. You initiate a chargeback on Mercari, your account is terminated on the spot. You have no clue as to what you are talking about. ebay tolerates fraud, Mercari does not.

Not allowing Chargebacks and doesn't tolerate Fraud are two completely different things.  Mercari can NOT disallow Chargebacks.  If they did, then they would not be allowed to accept credit card payments.  You may want to read their TOS.

https://www.mercari.com/us/help_center/topics/trust/policies/terms-of-service/

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 109 of 115
latest reply

The amount Chinese counterfeits on eBay has started to increase recently. Just search “polo Ralph Lauren” you’ll see all the “Asian market Polo” which is another way of saying “fake”, all coming from Flushing. I can visibly see the items are fake. It’s impossible to compete with those prices, I can’t even buy these items for that price discounted with employee pricing.

Same goes for all the counterfeit Ferragamo wallets coming from Hong Kong. eBay just lets these sellers prosper peddling their fake merchandise because it sells by the droves. 

The problem has been compounded by the worldwide proliferation of the counterfeit items. It's as easy to find counterfeit items from US and European sellers as it is to find them from Chinese sellers. 

Message 110 of 115
latest reply

Bottomline for me is that sellers can deduct all fees associated with selling from their taxes.

Last I checked, buyers can't deduct fees associated with buying from their taxes.

This is my posting user ID.
I have different user IDs for selling, buying and posting.
NOTE: Responders are eBay users like you that volunteer to help other users. We are not compensated by eBay.
Message 111 of 115
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

100% provably and completely FALSE.

CONSERVITVS  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay member since: 1996

Message 112 of 115
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@gamersbaystore wrote:

Not allowing Chargebacks and doesn't tolerate Fraud are two completely different things.  Mercari can NOT disallow Chargebacks.  If they did, then they would not be allowed to accept credit card payments.  You may want to read their TOS.

https://www.mercari.com/us/help_center/topics/trust/policies/terms-of-service/

What he has written is 100% untrue. 

CONSERVITVS  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay member since: 1996

Message 113 of 115
latest reply

I actually did read through the whole thread. I guess my question is this.

If eBay had a check box where when you created a listing, you could select whether the buyer or seller pays the fees, which would you select?

I know I wouldn't choose 'buyer pays'. 

ebay will never do it, given their focus on buyer experience, but it would allow them to straddle the fence, so tp speak. 

Oh, and I would take 1% of $10B over 4% of $1B every day, 

Message 114 of 115
latest reply

@conservitvs wrote:

@gamersbaystore wrote:

100% provably and completely FALSE.

Except that all Chargebacks are not fraudulent.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 115 of 115
latest reply