cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INR. hmm trust or not trust.

The dilemma for me is that I know USPS can do a poor job at delivery. (I get a ton of other people's mail).

Anyways, USPS did delivery with Parcel Select so no insurance, but insurance doesn't really matter since the tracking shows 'Delivered'.

They are pushing that they never got it regardless of what tracking says.

I contacted USPS and the supervisor told me he asked the normal carrier and they fully Believe it got delivered correctly.

I know I will win the INR. But I don't know if I should.

For context the item is around $120 camera drone.

I advised them to go to their local PO and talk to the supervisor.

I feel if they are being honest then it could have been porch pirates maybe.

I feel kinda dirty to win INR.

If it was lower value not that $120 is high value I'd probably just eat it to make them happy.

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Why should you feel bad for a potential error USPS made or for the fact that a porch pirate made off with the item? 

Message 2 of 40
latest reply

@robbie31415 wrote:

The dilemma for me is that I know USPS can do a poor job at delivery. (I get a ton of other people's mail).

Anyways, USPS did delivery with Parcel Select so no insurance, but insurance doesn't really matter since the tracking shows 'Delivered'.

They are pushing that they never got it regardless of what tracking says.

I contacted USPS and the supervisor told me he asked the normal carrier and they fully Believe it got delivered correctly.

I know I will win the INR. But I don't know if I should.

For context the item is around $120 camera drone.

I advised them to go to their local PO and talk to the supervisor.

I feel if they are being honest then it could have been porch pirates maybe.

If it was lower value not that $120 is high value I'd probably just eat it to make them happy.

Parcel Select went away 9 months ago, it's now called Ground Advantage and comes with $100 of insurance. Of course if tracking shows delivered insurance isn't likely to pay off.

Message 3 of 40
latest reply

@robbie31415 wrote:

The dilemma for me is that I know USPS can do a poor job at delivery.

There really isn't a dilemma. Clearly the package made it to the destination city so it's the buyer's problem to resolve.

Tell the buyer to open INR, you respond with the tracking number that shows delivery and ebay will close the case in your favor. 

If the buyer is telling the truth, s/he needs to speak to his/her carrier or postal supervisor. They can check tracking and GPS to find if, when and where the package was delivered or stolen from. 

If the buyer rattles ebay's cage, they may get a courtesy refund from ebay. (I did have a buyer claim non-receipt for a delivered item and they got a refund. It didn't cost me anything.)

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 40
latest reply

Incorrect. Parcel Select is the service used from services like UPS Ground Saver on last mile delivery.

1000011392.jpg

Message 5 of 40
latest reply

USPS uses a GPS device when they scan off packages for the final delivery. The GPS coordinates can tell you and them exactly where this package was scanned off. If you ever have any doubts or bad feelings ask USPS for the GPS location.

Message 6 of 40
latest reply

@robbie31415 wrote:

The dilemma for me is that I know USPS can do a poor job at delivery.

You’re bound to get lots of opinions here, but you are right on - it’s a moral dilemma: trust, or not trust?

I’ve had to make the same call a few times. I’ve always refunded and then written the loss off at tax time. 

I’ve been comfortable with that decision in all but one or two cases.

I still refunded deciding that all the back and forth and waste of energy simply would not be worth the stress/hassle. 

But I did block those users from further purchases. 

CONSERVITVS  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay member since: 1996

Message 7 of 40
latest reply

Yes. I agree.

New information.

Talking to the supervisor at their Local PO they said the carrier asked the people at the address if they had any delivery issues and they told them no. While the buyer told me they went to the PO and reported the issue, though the supervisor said he has gotten no reports.

That's pretty sus.

Message 8 of 40
latest reply

I can't agree with that.  Sellers have to have some protection or any buyer could say they didn't receive the item and say that USPS is incorrect and then the buyer gets refunded.  

Buyers have responsibilities too.  And one of those responsibilities is to provide a safe place for delivery.  That is the buyer that controls that.  A seller would have no way of doing that.

But I do agree with you that when a buyer is missing their package, or they tell me at least that they are missing their package but tracking shows delivered, we need to communicate with the buyer in a warm and professional manner.  Offer them suggestions to talk directly with their carrier and/or their local PO.  Give them a good description of the package so they have a little more to work with.

Being kind to the buyer can go a long ways in situations like this and it certainly can avoid getting negative FB.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 9 of 40
latest reply

1000011450.jpg

 here is part of one of my responses. Does this meet your warm and professional manner ?

Message 10 of 40
latest reply

I don't know if you are just looking for things to be snarky with me about or what, but you might want to revisit my post as I said I AGREE WITH YOU about trying to help the buyer through this.

Message 11 of 40
latest reply

You can win the INR and then do what you think is right after that. 

And remember, the buyer can always file a payment dispute for "Not as described" and win that, and you would be out an additional $20. 

Message 12 of 40
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

You can win the INR and then do what you think is right after that. 

And remember, the buyer can always file a payment dispute for "Not as described" and win that, and you would be out an additional $20. 

If the seller wins an INR filed in Ebay and then the buyer goes and files a Chargeback whether as an INR or an INAD, the seller should be able to fight that with providing all the evidence.  At the very least Ebay should cover them under seller protection as the buyer is clearly just trying to find a way around the system.  Who knows, Ebay may even sanction the buyer for doing it.

Message 13 of 40
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

I don't know if you are just looking for things to be snarky with me about or what, but you might want to revisit my post as I said I AGREE WITH YOU about trying to help the buyer through this.

Was a real question. Might not be warm enough. I stick to factual information. I probably could have left the part out about what their PO said. Makes it more confrontational with implying they aren't being honest.

Message 14 of 40
latest reply

@robbie31415 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Was a real question. Might not be warm enough. I stick to factual information. I probably could have left the part out about what their PO said. Makes it more confrontational with implying they aren't being honest.

I thought it was fine.  Most times I think buyers are being truthful about this or at least that is my feeling from my buyers.  But we just really never know.  I've had where a different family member pick up the package and put it somewhere then forgot to tell anyone else in the household or who it was addressed to that it had arrived.  I've had them delivered to neighbors too, even on the next block.  And some it appears that a porch pirate got to them.  I just try to be respectful when writing them to not add insult to injury not knowing what the real facts are and making the matter worse.

Plus it is likely to help when they leave FB, if they leave FB.  But if it is negative anyway, it is likely removeable.

Message 15 of 40
latest reply