cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I sold an item that was listed For Parts only, new account paying a lot for shipping, scam?

I sold a printer for $5 that could be repaired or for parts for cheap, but with buyer paying shipping. Someone across the country purchased it and paid for shipping like over $150. This account is brand new with no reviews. But they paid, so how would this scam work? They ask for a refund and I either give them the $155 back and I'm out a broken printer (whatever). Or I saw no and they open a  case with ebay? What trickery am I missing here?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

I sold an item that was listed For Parts only, new account paying a lot for shipping, scam?

What makes you think it would be a scam?

If they can repair it, sell it and make a profit, it might be worth it to them.

Have a great day.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

The buyer may have purchased as a guest. When they do that they appear to be a new member. 
I have sold to many buyers using guest accounts or brand new accounts without any problems.

Even buyers with hundreds of feedback and years on eBay can be scammers. 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@ebooksdiva wrote:

The buyer may have purchased as a guest. When they do that they appear to be a new member. 
I have sold to many buyers using guest accounts or brand new accounts without any problems.

Even buyers with hundreds of feedback and years on eBay can be scammers. 

My two worst scamming customers had hundreds in feedback...

I've had zero FB people purchasing silver coins and never give me any trouble.

For the OP, if they paid $155 for the broken printer and can fix it cheap, maybe they can get $300-400 for it if it's a decent printer. The last printer I bought cost $300 and it was the cheapest laser printer in the store.

C.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Probably not something that I would sell if there is any real shipping involved. Better to have it just for local pick up. A printer is going to cost a lot to ship across town or across the country.

problem is that you listed it for sale. You didn’t put any restriction that indicated pick up only. I’m always confused as to why sellers put something up for sale, and then don’t like when it sells.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I would worry about that sale, and any sale with a high shipping charge.

One can buy a working example of that printer on Amazon for a little under $200.

If the buyer is mostly honest, I would expect them to try a quick fix and then file for a return as Not as Described.

If the are mostly dishonest, they will expect you to refund rather than pay for return shipping on the Not as Described MBG claim and use the parts to repair some other dead printer.

What were you thinking when you listed this and allowed it to sell for under $4.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

It didn't have a high shipping charge, but remember that the first item that ever sold on eBay was a broken laser pointer.  Plenty of people value what others may not, and can fix them or part them out to make back what they paid and more.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Selling "low value" items with high shipping cost will cause you to "lose money".    EBAY selling fees based on ($5 purchase price + $150 shipping + 8-10% sales tax) plus 30 cent handling charge.    Rarely, can you make any money selling items under $20.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Seems fishy when they can buy one new at that other place  that people like to throw up in our face. 

And there's other wireless ink jet printers costing much less.

Be prepared to have them return it. Then you'll lose the original expensive shipping and the return shipping. 

I used to sell 38-70 lb electronics but woke up when I realized eBay no longer decided case by case.  When shipping is more than the item cost I think it over.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

13.25 % seller fees on the amount of the sale looks like a major loss unless the "actual" shipping is less than what the buyer paid.

Seems a new one would be $200.

Trickery is the buyer will get it for "free" when they open a "not as described", and you refund in full letting them keep the printer. ( or pay return shipping, and then refund in full)

Then they "may" be able to "fix it" for cheap.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

You may have scammed yourself.  I would never want to sell something at such a low dollar where the shipping is so high.  The final value fee alone will wipe out what you sold it for and you will probably owe ebay money...and that doesn't even count having a return filed.  That would be an even bigger hit to the wallet.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Why didn't you just donate that thing? Makes no sense.  Terrible sale, and now you are completely at the mercy of a stranger and about to lose a couple hundred bucks. Not to mention a possible INAD strike coming your way. What where you thinking?  Best case scenario here is you only lose the $20 in fees. 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@ross.pitt wrote:

I sold a printer for $5 that could be repaired or for parts for cheap, but with buyer paying shipping. Someone across the country purchased it and paid for shipping like over $150. This account is brand new with no reviews. But they paid, so how would this scam work? They ask for a refund and I either give them the $155 back and I'm out a broken printer (whatever). Or I saw no and they open a  case with ebay? What trickery am I missing here?

This item was a very very poor candidate to sell at auction and priority mail is the most expensive way to ship something like this, UPS would be much much cheaper, what has likely happened is that the buyer does not realize it is for parts, I would ask them if that know that otherwise you will likely be out the $150 not counting return shipping.

Also the fees on this $3.89 sale are over $20 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I have the same exact printer. 

Mine was not working. I had to put in "new" color ink...not black ink and it started working again. My color ink was dry but had ink in it. Just adding color ink did it.

I think when I bought mine like years ago it was around maybe $50. bucks.

It's a lot of money for it...I am going by what I paid for mine.

The only thing I can think of is a switch of theirs broken. I kinda think yours is not broken but just needs new ink.

The only thing is that "shipping refund" I would be concerned about. Depends how buyer opens a claim.

Printers are not expensive...its the ink.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@brightlightbookseller wrote:

It didn't have a high shipping charge, but remember that the first item that ever sold on eBay was a broken laser pointer.  Plenty of people value what others may not, and can fix them or part them out to make back what they paid and more.

Did you know that the first item sold on eBay was a broken laser pointer that sold for $14.83?

Message 15 of 15
latest reply