cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I’m restricted called eBay and was told to get $500 in eBay cards then give the card number Is th

My eBay restricted. Told to purchase $500 of eBay gift cards and give the card number to clear my restriction. Is this legitimate?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I’m restricted called eBay and was told to get $500 in eBay cards then give the card number Is th

That is absolutely a scam to get your money.

Don't do it.

ebay will never ask for gift cards to clear restrictions. NEVER

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Are you sure you are restricted? Did you receive an email telling you this? 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

If you found that phone number on a search it is likely a fake and a way to get people to part with their hard earned money.

eBay does not publish a phone number for customer support.  You can access HELP at the top of most eBay pages.  From there you can request a call back.  They will never show a phone number to call.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

As soon as you ever hear 'GIFT CARD' then there is no question other than it is a scam.

Applies to literally everything, on eBay, outside of eBay. Walking down the street.

Just always keep in your head at all times GIFT CARD = SCAM.

Done.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

That is a SCAM.   eBay will NEVER tell anyone to buy gift cards.    If you still have the email that told you to do that you can forward it to  spoof@ebay.com

Don't buy those cards and if you already did don't give out the numbers.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I looked on EBay forum and got phone #1-800-456-3229. Called saying I was restricted and was told to get$500. That some one had used my account and sold things without delivering..after getting $500 they asked for $3000.00 more. I have phone numbers of who I talked to probably no good. I contacted AARP fraud division and they are contacting me

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Trust us, it is a fraud.

Do not send a single penny to the fraudsters.

eBay does not accept bribes to get your account back.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@jomy_6634 

It's a scam! Don't do it! Work with eBay customer service to see how you can get your account re instated:

https://www.facebook.com/ebayForBusiness/

These agents are US CS eBay employees and may better serve you and your situation.  Many positive posts with their ability to be helpful.  In the past they were helpful concerning my issue at hand.  Give it a try...it might be worth it.

Good luck to you!

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

It's a scam, scam, scam, scam, scam, scam, scam!

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@jomy_6634 wrote:

I looked on EBay forum and got phone #1-800-456-3229. Called saying I was restricted and was told to get$500. That some one had used my account and sold things without delivering..after getting $500 they asked for $3000.00 more. I have phone numbers of who I talked to probably no good. I contacted AARP fraud division and they are contacting me

I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound cruel but seriously use some basic common sense.  

Why would eBay or any other company request gift cards? 

Do you owe them money? Do you know why your account is restricted?

Is there any reason to believe that $500 in gift cards is going to solve the initial problem you had with eBay?

If you did send someone gift cards (really they just want the numbers and pin numbers) how would you prove that you paid them?  What would you have for a receipt?

Research common fraud/scams for seniors.   Sending a gift card is on top of the list.  As is "your account was hacked, log into this link and give us your password"  and "You have a package that we can't deliver, log in here and give us your credit card information.

You were smart enough to question it and come here and contact AARP

Please trust the experienced buyers and sellers here to know that we are not steering you wrong.

Don't send them a red cent and the phone number you got is a phony intended to rip you off.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@jomy_6634 wrote:

...after getting $500 they asked for $3000.00 more.

You  already sent $500. to them?

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

The OP sounded like they were asking if they should, but the second post says they already gave them the $500.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Ouch. 

ten or more characters here         

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

That phone number is not eBay's, at least not any more (I don't know if it once was, but eBay doesn't have public facing phone support that you can call directly anymore).  Your options for actually contacting them are always starting through the website, though depending on your issue and how busy the lines are, you can request a callback sometimes.  Don't ever Google for support numbers for any company, too many scams out there.  Good job coming here and asking, and I hope you didn't already give them the gift card numbers for the $500, because if so that money is long gone!

Message 15 of 17
latest reply