cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I love eBay!!!

I love eBay. Been using it for 23 years. Now 78, retired and gives me something to do. Spend on average around 2 to 3 hours a day listing & shipping. I do not get stressed because it is not my primary source of income. I make enough to spend on gas, beer, concerts, minor expenses and nights out with my wife for dinner. It is now more like a hobby , but instead of spending money I can  make money. It gives me something to due to fill the day and I enjoy doing it. I hope all the eBay sellers who are currently struggling with sales have a great productive holiday season. Happy Holidays!

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

I love eBay!!!

WOW!!!  

So nice to read such a positive enthusiastic post!

Bless your heart for sharing your uplifting message with us.  

Hope you have many more happy years.  😄

BJ

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

I love eBay!!!

@buddyboyusa wrote:

I do not get stressed because it is not my primary source of income. I make enough to spend on gas, beer, concerts, minor expenses and nights out with my wife for dinner.

Now that, my friend, is an excellent use of eBay in your retirement. Cheers!

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 24
latest reply

I love eBay!!!

I’m like you, I love being able to sell things that others are looking for and it keeps my mind active. I’ve been on eBay for about 18 years now with no real problems ( think I had to call eBay once or maybe twice). I’ve met lots of nice people here on eBay too, buyers and other sellers! Here’s to a great holiday season!

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

I love eBay!!!

Selling on eBay is stressful weather it's your primary, secondary income, or whatever.

To keep a good account and adhere to eBay policies is stressful enough, but you seem to be making enough money to spend on gas, beer, concerts, minor expenses and nights out. 

I am very jealous. 

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

I love eBay!!!

I know exactly what you mean.

I "retired" 20 years ago. The first day was "Wow, this great I get to sleep in late". The second day was "NOW what I do". The third day I realized that sitting around doing nothing is not nearly as easy as it looks. Hello eBay.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

I love eBay!!!

@ten_o_nine wrote:

Selling on eBay is stressful weather it's your primary, secondary income, or whatever.

To keep a good account and adhere to eBay policies is stressful enough, but you seem to be making enough money to spend on gas, beer, concerts, minor expenses and nights out. 

I am very jealous. 

We read the problems here that are stressing sellers and for the most part, the stress is created by those sellers not being familiar with policies and/or trying to make their own rules. Some are just sloppy sellers.

The only times I feel any type of stress is usually an inventory mistake on my part and I have to hustle to fill the order. 1,300+ listings with several hundred cross listed can do that, lol. If I get sloppy, I can create my own stress.

OP has sold 13k items, I would bet he has it down.

Posting ID
Message 7 of 24
latest reply

I love eBay!!!

@buddyboyusa 

Thank you so much for taking the time to come here and share a little bit of your story.  It is VERY nice to hear and I too hope you also have a fantastic Holiday season filled with sales to great customers and a bit of extra Holiday Cheer for you.  And maybe just a little more funds so you can SPOIL the heck out of your wife !!  😉

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 8 of 24
latest reply

I love eBay!!!

@ten_o_nine wrote:

I am very jealous. 

I think the point, at least in part, was that it does not have to be stressful.  Not for the most part.  Don't get me wrong, I have issues with Ebay from time to time.  And I can get pretty upset with them from time to time while I'm trying to work my way out of whatever situation I find myself in.  And there are times I don't particularly care for a change they have made.

With that said I still don't allow it to get me too stress out.  That really doesn't serve any good purpose.  I work on the issue at hand, fix it the best I can and move one.  Getting stress out is one of the things that can be the hardest on your overall health.  I choose to not allow that to happen, you can too.  That doesn't mean there aren't issues that will need to be worked through, sometimes serious ones.  It only means that I choose not to allow it to get me all stressed out.  Ebay isn't my life, it is part of my life.  It is a part of my life that has allowed me to be able to raise my own kids and still be available for them nearly 24/7.  That is a very big deal to me.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 9 of 24
latest reply

I love eBay!!!

I've been working since I was 13, eleven if you count babysitting.

I don't know how not to work.

EBay is the easiest job I've ever had. I set my own pace, my own hours, and choose my own products. The buyers are nice people, because the products I  sell attract literate adults who like order.

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

I love eBay!!!

Thank you for your positive, uplifting post.

What a nice change of pace.

I wish you success.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 11 of 24
latest reply

I love eBay!!!

Of all the businesses I've been actively involved in eBay has been far and away the least stressful.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

I love eBay!!!

@slippinjimmy wrote:

Of all the businesses I've been actively involved in eBay has been far and away the least stressful.

95%+ like a walk in the park

Addendum: I have conducted eBay business while walking in a park.

Posting ID
Message 13 of 24
latest reply

I love eBay!!!

@buddyboyusa wrote:

I love eBay. Been using it for 23 years. Now 78, retired and gives me something to do. Spend on average around 2 to 3 hours a day listing & shipping. I do not get stressed because it is not my primary source of income. I make enough to spend on gas, beer, concerts, minor expenses and nights out with my wife for dinner. It is now more like a hobby , but instead of spending money I can  make money. It gives me something to due to fill the day and I enjoy doing it. I hope all the eBay sellers who are currently struggling with sales have a great productive holiday season. Happy Holidays!

👍I use mine for race entry fees, gym memberships, beer and evenings at the pub with my husband. 👍 I could wish sales were better, but I sell mostly pre-owned clothing and sports/computer stuff and the holiday run-up is never really that busy for me because people still tend to purchase new (though purchasing preowned is growing in popularity). After Christmas when people can spend their money on what they actually want is another story.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 14 of 24
latest reply

I love eBay!!!

@lakefor94 wrote:

@slippinjimmy wrote:

95%+ like a walk in the park

Addendum: I have conducted eBay business while walking in a park.

I have, too - I've had to stop in the middle of a run when I hear my eBay or Posh notification going off and kind of step along while I deal with that, then sprint to catch up with my friends.  They laugh - "So, what did ya sell?" They ask.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 15 of 24
latest reply