cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does a seller with 4 negative feedback still have 100% positive feedback rating?

Just curious if anyone can explain how a seller with 4 negative feedbacks can still have a 100% positive feedback rating? I spoke with eBay concierge and they had no answers and stated they would look into it. Can anyone else make any sense out of this?

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: How does a seller with 4 negative feedback still have 100% positive feedback rating?

@masterblasterplanet wrote:

False. 99.96% does not round up to 100% positive with eBay ever.

I currently have 99.9% (only 1 negative feedback) .

Your feedback score is your feedback score. eBay doesn't round up.

I'm sorry, @masterblasterplanet, but your current feedback rating is being rounded up correctly ... from 0.998871 = 99.8871% to 99.9%.

lacemaker3_0-1714007654440.png

Your feedback is being calculated with 885 positives, and 886 (= 885 + 1) total feedbacks. Even though you have 1130 total positives in the last 12 months, some of those must have been from the same user(s) within the same calendar week(s), so they only count one of them (per user, per week).

You would need to have 1999 positives to counteract one negative and round up to 100%. 1999 / (1999+1) = 0.9995 = 99.95% which would round up to 100%. With only 1998 positives and one negative, it would still round down.

lacemaker3_0-1714049338180.png

Message 31 of 34
latest reply

Re: How does a seller with 4 negative feedback still have 100% positive feedback rating?

Furthermore that's not the situation with the seller I mentioned in the OP as they had only 800+ feedback and 4 negatives all in the last 12 months.

It's possible that the 4 transactions involved, were all sold more than 12 months ago (so they are no longer included in the percentage rating for the feedback) ...

... but, the 4 feedbacks could have been left up to 60 days after the delivery date, either actual or estimated, whichever is earliest. The feedback showing in the table is based on when the feedback was left, not when the item was sold.

That can explain why feedback might still be showing in the 12-months column of the table, but would not be included in the feedback percentage calculation.

If you don't think that explanation is correct, would you private message me with the seller's ID so I can look at their profile, please?

Message 32 of 34
latest reply

Yes, according to the negative feedback shown, all 4 negative feedback comments were less than 12 months old. All 4 feedback comments were from different buyers as well. eBay confirmed they saw the same thing on their end, and agreed with me it was strange, even though I've been seeing this for years. They told me someone would follow up with me via email with an update and of course I never heard anything back from them about it.

What you continue NOT to mention is how many FB the seller has in the past 12 months.  This is and always has been a math question.  But you have to know all the number.  This has been explained a few times to you on this thread, but it appears to not matter to you.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 33 of 34
latest reply

False. 99.96% does not round up to 100% positive with eBay ever.

I currently have 99.9% (only 1 negative feedback) .

Your feedback score is your feedback score. eBay doesn't round up.

Furthermore that's not the situation with the seller I mentioned in the OP as they had only 800+ feedback and 4 negatives all in the last 12 months.

OMG it is simple math.  What I stated is not incorrect.  On a percentage like 99.96%, it would round up to 100%.  Since Ebay does use one decimal point when calculating FB percentages, if the sellers percentage was 99.94%, then Ebay would display it as 99.9%  Ebay has rounded numbers for many years.

Oh that is a great point.  Let's use my feedback.  The math would be 227 divided by 228 = 99.561% but Ebay rounds up to 99.6%.  

For your account it is 885 divided by 886 = 99.887% or once rounded up it is 99.9% as it states on your FB page.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 34 of 34
latest reply