cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did eBay's changes affect their Q1 2021 results?

Here's what eBay reported this evening: 

eBay Inc. Reports Better Than Expected First Quarter 2021 Results

• Revenue of $3.0 billion, up 42% (as-reported) up 38% (FX-Neutral)
  • Gross Merchandise Volume of $27.5 billion, up 29% (as-reported) up 24% (FX-Neutra)
  • $292 million of share repurchases
  • $122 million paid in cash dividends
  • Annual active buyers grew by 7%, for a total of 187 million global active buyers
  • Annual active sellers grew by 8%, for a total of 20 million global active sellers
  • MP and checkout flows reduced unpaid items by 80% on fixed price transactions
  • 52% of global on-platform volume processed through managed payments 
  • 80% of the payments migration completed in the US

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ebay-inc-reports-better-than-expected-first-quarter-2021-re...

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: How did eBay's changes affect their Q1 2021 results?

"

• $122 million paid in cash dividends"

I do love my ebay stock dividends.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

So...the sky hasn't fallen then?

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Well, sure, ebay actually had a great Q1....but I think we can attribute that to the fact that ebay still had the Classic Selling Page.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

The sky was extremely high and bright becuase of all the pandemic crazy shopping let us see where we go from here on out. 

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

The sky was extremely high and bright becuase of all the pandemic crazy shopping let us see where we go from here on out. 

Though in some ways we can all hope that 2021 isn't 2020 v.2  😣

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 6 of 20
latest reply

But....but.... how can this be?

I specifically saw many posts from sellers who claim to be leaving eBay in droves, so how did active seller % grow? 

I specifically saw many posts from sellers saying buyers were no longer using eBay, so how could active buyers % increase?

I specifically saw many posts from sellers saying eBay would go out of business soon. 

Very confusing....

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

And no mention of what they’ve paid lawyers to battle the class action lawsuits  we hear so much about. 

Just like all the communist capitalists or were they capitalist communists? 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 8 of 20
latest reply

I'm despondent that there wasn't some cataclysmic event.  It's been quiet, people on lockdown, pubs have been closed...I was ready for something fabulous and drastic to happen like eBay blowing up, or at least getting a little bent at the corners.  Honestly, life is just filled with disappointment.  😭

— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 9 of 20
latest reply

"So...the sky hasn't fallen then?"

Nope.  2020 was one of my best years since 2015.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

"Shares of eBay (NASDAQ: EBAY) got crushed on Thursday after the company reported financial results for the first quarter of 2021."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you all do for an encore?

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Excellent! A good time to buy shares.

I kickstarted my pension savings at the turn of the millennium buying eBay when it was not paying dividends but was splitting and splitting.

I sold half my shares with each split and put a tidy sum into my RRSP.

Sold them all when they stopped the splits (and started buying companies unrelated to their core business) since there was no way to make money on shares.

With the dividends I am looking at eBay as a profitable investment again.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Reminds me of an old Wall Street joke:

Broker: Stocks up.

Client: Buy!

Broker: Stocks up again.

Client: Buy!!

Broker: Stock just went into the tank.
Client: Sell !!!
----------------------------------
Broker: To who?

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

That's why I like stocks with dividends.  The company's core business has to make money or the stockholders will be unhappy.

I'm currently annoyed with the Canadian government because I have a lot of stocks in a "pension" account from which the  government insists I must withdraw a percentage every year. That means selling a stock that is making me money while I own it for income I don't need at the moment, and incurring a fee to do it.  This was not explained to me very well when I was a sweet young thing of 64.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

At the end of the day, money is defined by governments; here at least, tasked to provide for the common weal.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're all in this together.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply