cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filling out item specifics

Just my take on this but...

At least the listing forms put the REQUIRED item specifics at the top of the form. Most of the rest of that nonsense not only is useless but clutters the heck out of your listing. 

I get irritated when looking for something that the seller has spent untold amount of time filling in all that item specific stuff and ends up a whole page of who cares. Followed by one sentence of description.

Use some common sense and make it easier for you...the seller...and for your buyers

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

The ISBs have great value on most listings.  While they may be annoying to fill out, they are still important.  And you can create your own boxes to be what you want them to be as well.

It is really important to remember that the Search Engine on Ebay uses the ISBs too when looking for things that a buyer puts in to search for.  The ISBs are part of that return.  If you have it in your ISBs, then it is considered in the Search returns which can be a very valuable plus.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Yes, some are important. Especially if the seller hasn't got a clue what to put in the listing title.

What I am saying that MOST...and I do mean most have zero value.

When is the last time you put a string of values into a search that took you ten minutes to type it.  I agree that brand (should be in title), color (should be in title), size (should be in title) are useful

Even what appear at the side can be useful but 30 item specifics for a glass bowl is not useful.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

And please excuse this clueless seller, but what is an ISB

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

I see that you are only filling in the item specifics that would logically be helpful. How would that be different from what I am saying?

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

I don't like to see listings with every section filled in with n/a or something like that.  I thought we were told to skip any that didn't apply, but many try to put something in all of them.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Exactly.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

I personally don't worry about those I need to leave blank, I just leave them blank and move on.  Not all sellers have the same needs as others, so you won't find much of anything that is just fitted for your needs.  We are a diverse group of people with different needs.

I don't know why anyone would spend 10 minutes to type out something in a search.  That seems a bit much to me and it is doubtful that it would be very many potential buyers that would do that.  If you are suggesting that this is something they need to do to cover all the ISBs, they don't.  If their search requirement hits one of them, it will return in their search.  It only takes one, they don't have to hit them all.

Again because it isn't useful to you does not mean it isn't useful to someone else.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

ISBs = Item Specific Boxes

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

@pargran3 wrote:

I see that you are only filling in the item specifics that would logically be helpful. How would that be different from what I am saying?

It doesn't.  But I do as I described to you.  I fill out the ones that have meaning for what I sell and I create some that I feel I should have.  That is all any seller needs to do.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

I don't like to see listings with every section filled in with n/a or something like that.  I thought we were told to skip any that didn't apply, but many try to put something in all of them.

I agree completely and it simply serves no good purpose.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Yes. So do I. What I am talking about is the seller's that come here screaming about the time it takes to fill in item specifics.

You use common sense. You know your product. So do I.

Lecture if you feel the need. We are not at sixes and sevens in what we are saying.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

I am sorry that my original post was not clear. Glad you agree that what I am talking about and what fernwood said agrees with what you think

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

@pargran3 wrote:

Yes. So do I. What I am talking about is the seller's that come here screaming about the time it takes to fill in item specifics.

You use common sense. You know your product. So do I.

Lecture if you feel the need. We are not at sixes and sevens in what we are saying.

I have no need to "lecture" you.  I simply tried to answer your questions.  If you don't like the answers, I can't help you with that, they were all factual and truthful.  If you wanted something different, that is what you should have asked for.  

I have no idea what this means "We are not at sixes and sevens in what we are saying."

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

@pargran3 wrote:

I am sorry that my original post was not clear. Glad you agree that what I am talking about and what fernwood said agrees with what you think

OK, if we missed what you were asking about, then please clarify.  What Fernwood and I offered you was and is factual and isn't simply an opinion, it is a way to use the ISBs.

From what you originally stated, it appears we gave you the info you needed as you asked about Item Specific boxes and the ones you don't have any need to use.  "At least the listing forms put the REQUIRED item specifics at the top of the form. Most of the rest of that nonsense not only is useless but clutters the heck out of your listing. "  If you meant to say something else, then please tell us.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply