cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelled unpaid auction sale - now I can't send to Second Chance bidder

I had a shady buyer with 0 feedback outbid my top bidder, I sent them a message hours after they won and asked them pay me as there were many interested bidders. 7 hours later, no response (shocker).

Now I can't send to Second Chance bidders either and the status of my auction is stuck at "Canceled".

Is my only recourse right now to Relist? I was told that I had to cancel the auction in order to use Second Chance. eBay needs to do more for the honest sellers. How do I contact the 2nd best bidder now?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Cancelled unpaid auction sale - now I can't send to Second Chance bidder

Buyers have 4 days to pay and if they don't, on day 5 cancel. Sounds like you are trying to push things faster than what is allowed by eBay. There is no need to send an invoice, eBay sends plenty. Each time you send one, it resets the payment clock.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Ebay allows buyers four full days to pay for auctions they win.

That is their policy:

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/paying-items/paying-items?id=4009

Did you choose some other reason when cancelling as I didn't think the didn't pay option would be available so soon after the auction closes? If so that might be the problem.

Second chance offers:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/selling-auctions/making-second-chance-offers?id=4142

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am trying to rush eBay's wait period because the item I am selling is time sensitive and waiting an extra 4 days to relist will cause the value to drop in my particular market. On my "Sold" page I see an option to Relist as my only option now. Given this is the situation, can I successfully relist this auction?

I would expect a canceled item should appear in the "Unsold" category after it is canceled, but it still shows in my Sold category which is false as the bidder is likely a bot or scammer.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@monumint 

I'm not sure I am clear on what you did.

First sending any buyer a message discussing that you have other bidders you would like to entertain if they don't pay, is simply a BAD idea.  It is insulting to the original bidder.  These aren't personal transactions, they are business transactions.  This type of stuff should never be discussed with any buyer for any reason, it simply isn't necessary.  So it is likely you ticked them off and they are avoiding you to cause you grief on purpose.

Why is your auction "stuck at canceled"?  What does that mean?  What did you do?  Who told you to "cancel the auction"?  That was bad advice.

So did you close the auction before it closed naturally and you had a winning buyer?  Or did you cancel the winning bidder's transaction?  If you did that, what reason did you use?

Sorry for all the questions, but I do not know what "my auction is stuck at canceled" actually means.  Please take us through, step by step what you did so we can best help you.  We need to understand exactly what you did, whether it was right or wrong isn't important at this point.  We need to know what you did so we can advise you the best way to handle the situation without harming the health of your selling account.  Or maybe even getting your feedback hit.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@monumint wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am trying to rush eBay's wait period because the item I am selling is time sensitive and waiting an extra 4 days to relist will cause the value to drop in my particular market. On my "Sold" page I see an option to Relist as my only option now. Given this is the situation, can I successfully relist this auction?

I would expect a canceled item should appear in the "Unsold" category after it is canceled, but it still shows in my Sold category which is false as the bidder is likely a bot or scammer.

I would not suggest you do anything yet until we totally understand what you did with the original auction and the bidders on that auction.

You can't "rush" ebay's policies.  Sellers have not way of doing any such thing.  How is the item you sold "time sensitive"?  From you sold list I see cards.  What makes any of the "time sensitive"?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@monumint wrote:

I had a shady buyer with 0 feedback outbid my top bidder, I sent them a message hours after they won and asked them pay me as there were many interested bidders. 7 hours later, no response (shocker).

7 hours?!?! That's a bit impatient.

If you don't have or want to wait 4 days for buyers to pay, stop doing auctions. Have FP/IPR (fixed price/immediate payment required) listings. Items aren't sold until payment is complete. 

Understand that if you're going to play on ebay, you have to play by their rules and those rules allow 96 hours from the end of the listing to pay. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Anxious much?

If your item is time-sensitive like you say, why the hell are you using an auction format listing in the first place?

Something don't smell right. Please tell us the reason you used to cancel.

It amazes me how sellers like you, who do these type of things to buyers are considered TRS.

But anyways, If you can't make a 2nd chance offer now , create a BIN listing for their bid amount and send them the link to see if they're still interested.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

i no longer do auctions unless its super rare and desirable( other wise auctions have sucked for me ) but hey ebay just added PLS ( no refunds on non payers )  , just be patient if they don't pay , list it again , thats all you can do 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

sounds like you just advertised yourself for all future buyers to wait the 4 days now just to annoy you. By cancelling the bidder, you likely violated ebay policy & they can report you for a strike. Those strikes will lead to your account being closed on you if you are not careful.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply