cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers remorse return question

I have a customer return for buyers remorse. Never had a return before so I am trying to figure this out. So the buyer did not have a problem with paying return postage and verified my address threw messages. But despite me contacting them within 30 minutes tell them they needed to open a return request they stated the next day that they had already shipped it. Tracking shows they did not ship it till the next day. They started the request and I approved it and I got the item back in a couple days. I told them they had to add the tracking to the return request and they added a different tracking? My only option to refund states refund full amount and buyer keeps the item. I am in possession of it, but legally is it still theirs? So confused, really don’t want to loose seller fees since it was a $400 item.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

In a situation like this, I think I would cancel the sale (if it will let you), reason "buyer requested" which would refund the buyer in full and also refund your fees in full (except 30 cents).

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Would that refund their original shipping also? They are asking for the item price in the request details. Thanks for helping.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

@texastrickworm87 wrote:

Would that refund their original shipping also? They are asking for the item price in the request details. Thanks for helping.

Yes, it would.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 4 of 23
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

In a situation like this, I think I would cancel the sale (if it will let you), reason "buyer requested" which would refund the buyer in full and also refund your fees in full (except 30 cents).

No they can't because the OP had the buyer open up a Return Request in Ebay.  So they can't now cancel the transaction.  Oh and it is 40 cents now.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

It only complicated things when you had the buyer open the Return Request in Ebay after they already had shipped back the item.  It wasn't necessary.

But now you do have a claim you need to process.  If you got the item back in the same condition it was when you sent it out, you now need to refund your buyer from the Return Request the buyer filed.

If your buyer filed the Return Request using a Buyer's Remorse Reason, when you go to refund the buyer you will be allowed to refund them for the product price only and you don't have to refund the shipping.

But if they filed the Return Request for an INAD reason, then you can't withhold the original shipping.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@texastrickworm87 wrote:

I told them they had to add the tracking to the return request and they added a different tracking?

My only option to refund states refund full amount and buyer keeps the item

But now you do have a claim you need to process.  If you got the item back in the same condition it was when you sent it out, you now need to refund your buyer from the Return Request the buyer filed.

If your buyer filed the [ 1. ] Return Request using a Buyer's Remorse Reason, when you go to refund the buyer you will be allowed to refund them for the product price only and you don't have to refund the shipping.

But if they filed the [ 2. ] Return Request for an INAD reason, then you can't withhold the original shipping.

[ i.e. telling OP those 2 reasons, not asking. ]

@zgnisaer 

Which was it

-- Return Request using a Buyer's Remorse Reason, or 

-- Return Request for an INAD reason

when the "only option to refund states refund full amount and buyer keeps the item" as we read in the OP?

@mam98031 wrote:

@texastrickworm87 wrote:

[But despite me contacting them within 30 minutes tell them they needed to open a return request they stated the next day that they had already shipped it. Tracking shows they did not ship it till the next day. They started the request and I approved it and I got the item back in a couple days.]

But despite me contacting them [ 1. ] within 30 minutes tell them they needed to open a return request

they stated the next day that they had [ 2. ] already shipped it. Tracking shows they did not ship it till the next day.

They [3. ] started the request [ days later ] and I approved it and I got the item back in a couple days. 

It only complicated things when you had the buyer open the Return Request in Ebay after they already had shipped back the item.  It wasn't necessary.

@zgnisaer 

Also, where does it say that

-- OP had the buyer open the Return Request in Ebay

-- after they already had shipped back the item?

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

@zgnisaer 

Which was it

-- Return Request using a Buyer's Remorse Reason, or 

-- Return Request for an INAD reason

when the "only option to refund states refund full amount and buyer keeps the item" as we read in the OP?

The OP has not answered what the reason the buyer opened the Return Request for yet.

The OP already has the item back, so they have no concern of losing the product.

Also, where does it say that

-- OP had the buyer open the Return Request in Ebay

-- after they already had shipped back the item?

This is from what the OP said in the first post "They started the request and I approved it and I got the item back in a couple days."

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Buyer stated did not like it as the reason, so yes buyers remorse technically. Since the wrong tracking shows it has not been shipped yet the; return and let them keep, is the only option I am given.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

@texastrickworm87 

So when they filed the Return Request that is the reason they chose?  If so then yes it is a proper Buyer Remorse return.  But if they said that in the email to you but selected a different reason when opening the Return Request it may not be correct.  The controlling reason is the one they selected when opening the Return Request.

You have the ability to send a message to the buyer from inside the Return Request.  Let them know they uploaded the wrong tracking number to the claim and they should correct that so you can process their refund since you did get the item back.  Hopefully they will work with you on this.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Thank you for your response, I do appreciate it.

Yes that is the reason they chose, so it is a proper buyers remorse. I did message them right away about the wrong tracking number and have not heard from them.

I am trying to write another message explaining the option of return and let keep and am asking them to send me a statement of their own free will relinquishing any ownership in the item and then I will refund with that option. What do you think? 

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Do you have the option to just refund the buyer less the original shipping?

If you do, I'd send the buyer a message from inside the claim, letting them know you have received the item back and are issuing them the refund for the product.  Then go an issue the refund.

There isn't an issue of "ownership", you have the item back, it is now yours.  That part isn't an issue.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

No, I tried option for issue refund from the item page, but it says there is a open case cannot issue refund. As far as the messages, it does not have a message option from the case page but other messages that we sent did show up there once the case opened. I did look into possession and ownership law and possession does not technically prove ownership. I'm always better safe then sorry person so that is why I was thinking to ask them to relinquish ownership in a statement. I know that I overthink things sometimes so your answers are very helpful. 

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

You do the refund FROM the open case, NOT the transaction.  Open up the case, there will be an option to refund the buyer.

I'm unsure of your concern over ownership.  That you will just need to do what you think is best.  You have the item back, it is yours, but if you feel it still belongs to your buyer, I'm unsure as to what you might want to do since the buyer did not want it and shipped it back to you.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

When I've had a return case open, I see a spot within the return which I can click that indicates the returned item has arrived.  Sometimes I do that if the tracking hasn't updated yet, so I can continue with my refund.  Hopefully it will let you use the toggle to not refund the original shipping.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply