cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers Mistakenly Selecting Local Pickup At Checkout

I've been suddenly having this issue in the past 2 months of so, that has never happened in all my years as an eBay seller. Recently I keep getting buyers selecting local pickup at checkout, but expect shipping. I assume this is due to a change eBay has made to the checkout process. I immediately contact them after purchase as ask when they would like to arrange pickup, with no response. A week later I get an "item not received" claim opened, or a message from them confused as to why they didn't get their item.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a solution outside of just waiting for eBay to fix it?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Hi suprant,

I glanced at some of your items and didn't see anything that was so large it would be an advantage for a buyer to pick it up.  I would remove the local pickup option from the listings.  I don't offer it as a rule, but if someone wants to pick it up, they just message me and we make the arangements.

Good luck,

Danielle

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

I been getting them from the past few years since I offer local pickup on all my listings.

Pattern is people in PR pick it quite often because I don't offer free shipping to PR since no economy service.

I use eBay's cancellation policy time frame for non paid (4 days) to make a determination.

If they don't respond to me within 4 days for a local pickup purchase then I cancel with 'Issue with Buyer's Address'.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

I don't see an option to bulk edit the local pickup option, that would be a tedious process to do them all 1 by 1. I will start leaving it off on new listings though.

Thank you

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

I don't know how it looks on the app, but sometimes the buyer will see Free and they think it's free shipping, when it's free pick up.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

This happened to me last week. I messaged the buyer after a few days. He said they did not have a local pick up Hub in his area.... I think he thought eBay has Hubs around the US like the OTHER platform does. He refused to pay the $10 shipping so I canceled due to Customer asked to cancel. He was asking for free shipping which was not in the listing. No dings

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

You can bulk edit your shipping, though we use shipping policies so the procedure looks different if you don't.  I definitely agree with the recommendation to just remove it for now.  We only add it to listings if a buyer requests (with a few exceptions that we only offered for local pickup).  Reduces the hassle.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

I've only had one in recent memory that wanted local pick up. I changed the listing to accommodate her. (I HATE local pick up.) It sat here for a month even though I contacted her numerous times. Ended up refunding and blocking her.

Just make sure going forward with your listings that you don't have it as an option, if you don't want it. 

You can change all of your  active listings to no local pick up in the bulk edit. So much easier! Good luck. 

Screen Shot 2024-04-24 at 1.41.03 PM.png

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Seems you have free shipping and free local pick-up. 

I guess if they paid, ship with tracking. If they don't and just keep you hanging, cancel, relist, and add them to your block list. 

Maybe revise your listings with a calculated shipping. 

many options here for sellers to set buyer payment requirements. 

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

You are offering free local pickup. Stop doing that and only offer shipping.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Why don't you offer free shipping to PR? It might take longer but the cost is no more than  to ship to zone 8 Alaska, Hawaii or the far coast. 

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

We have also had that happen a few times for some reason we do offer local pickup and shipping on all of our items since we have a local store. The customers were confused how it happened so we canceled the transactions per their request and had them repurchase and make sure they have the option to select shipping prior to purchase and never had an issue when the do it the second purchase. Don't know if eBay issue or if they moved something and customers are just selecting the wrong option. 

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Local pickup is expensive.   For you.   Consider your time, driving to the meeting spot, waiting around.  

I think the buyers are trying to work you to see if they can get you to ship for free.  

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

I have a commercial location, so it's much more convenient/cheaper to have buyers just come pick stuff up on site. As opposed to me spending time preparing items for shipping, and having to drive to the drop off. Although it is a rare occasion that anyone wants to pick anything up locally. I figured having the option would be an incentive.

Also, something to consider, ebay charges fees on top of shipping costs. I net more in the end when they pick up locally.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Not all of my items are free shipping. The larger/heavier ones I have calculated shipping for.

The problem I run into in the scenario of a buyer selecting local pickup on a free shipping item, is it doesn't give me the option to print a shipping label like it would if they selected the shipping option. My only solution has been to cancel and tell the buyer to resubmit and select shipping.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply