cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants a refund after paying, says he can't collect

A buyer has bought an item which was listed as collection only, and after already paying for it now wants a refund, saying he can't collect. When I accepted his offer, I had to agree that I was entering a contract to sell to him. Well, is he obligated now to buy? Do I have to give him a refund?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Save yourself future headache and refund the buyer right now using the "problem with buyer's address" option. Realist item 

Be sure to block the buyer from future purchases. 

If you don't refund now, here's whats going to happen. 

1. Buyer opens a INR case after last estimated delivery date, you can't prove delivery cuz the buyer never showed up. Either you eventually voluntarily refund or Ebay step in and refunds on your behalf from your account and issuing you a strike. 

2. Buyer bypasses Ebay and opens up a CC chargeback. You will still be forced to refund and might even incur a $20 dispute fee. 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I assume you have not shipped out the item yet. And if that is the case kenneth686321 is correct. Follow the steps provided, block them and move on. If you have shipped out the item, you must wait for them to open the return. There are other ways buyers can demand a return. If they selected INAD (Item not as described) which is the most common return, you would be responsible for the shipping back and forth while refunding them 100%. Even if you do not offer returns, a buyer can choose the INAD which will cost you more in shipping, again assuming you did not ship out the item already.

Yes it is frustrating and many of us feel for you.

-Good Luck

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@mictim-24 wrote:

A buyer has bought an item which was listed as collection only, and after already paying for it now wants a refund, saying he can't collect. When I accepted his offer, I had to agree that I was entering a contract to sell to him. Well, is he obligated now to buy? Do I have to give him a refund?

Of course you have to refund. The only question is whether you want to do it voluntarily and avoid any potentially damaging transaction defects on your account. 

ON a website where a buyer can damage a seller's business, it is never a good idea to try to force a buyer to make purchase when he clearly does not want to do so. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

With your very low selling feedback, one negative fb will really trash your selling account. Of course you have to refund, you really thought you should keep this buyers payment?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Your “collect/collection” terminology make me think you are not in US. In any case, just refund the money.

They didn’t say it was your fault. They said they blame you.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Refund - Block - Relist & Move on.  Save yourself a lot of future headaches.  Good Luck!  (J.B.)

Message 7 of 7
latest reply