cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer says Boyfriend is going to destroy contents of package when it arrives and wants refund

THIS has got to be the most insane message after a sale and with an item not yet delivered. Buyers messages “ I need to get a refund. My boyfriend said he is not going to give me the item when it is delivered and said he is going to destroy it or put it in a dumpster when it arrives”. I am homeless and he will get them package”. 

So, I assuming this is some kind of REALLY REALLY DUMB SCAM OR SOME REALLY desperate lady who just got kicked out of her boyfriend house. SO WHO PAYED FOR THIS? IT’S IN I ASSUME BOYFRIENDS NAME. A male buyer. This is about a 300 buck ring. I tell her. NO RETURN, no refund. And that I will be happy to do a package intercept to prevent boyfriend from getting his hands on this. They reply, no thanks. I will keep it. WTH is this. I am still trying to recall this package.

Message 1 of 125
latest reply
124 REPLIES 124

Re: Buyer says Boyfriend is going to destroy contents of package when it arrives and wants refund

Yes, I will be at my own PO and see if they can help as well. 

Message 16 of 125
latest reply

Re: Buyer says Boyfriend is going to destroy contents of package when it arrives and wants refund

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

My own experience with trying to intercept has not been successful. 

I have had it be successful, but I did it a few days before the package in question was due to be delivered, not the night before. I'm not sure that's enough lead time.

Message 17 of 125
latest reply

Yes. I could do that but this looks like a real problem customer. I told them I was going to still try to retrieve the package as they told me that this person who allegedly bought this or even it they bought this is not going to give them this package. I did not go into anymore details with this crazy message only that I would try to get the package back and away from their crazy boyfriend. This one’s a first for me. Save package from crazed boyfriend who probably broke up with me and kicked me out of his house. WHATEVER. 

Message 18 of 125
latest reply

No kidding. I was just floored where I got this message.

Message 19 of 125
latest reply

@duffy4444 wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@vintagecraze50 

OMG, that is a crazy story to be sure ... any clues on their Feedback that they might be a brick shy of a load?  The elevator doesn't go all the way to the top?  Not the brightest bulb in the light?  Way out past 3 Sigma? 

@mr_lincoln:

Adding one of my favorites: "Two tacos short of a combination plate"...

Cheers, Duffy

OH Duffy, THAT IS FUNNY. THANKS FOR THE LAUGH.

Message 20 of 125
latest reply

The message is coming from the same account as the buyers, so I am assuming this person is either the same BOYfriend who bought the item or BOYFRIENDS girlfriend who still has access to boyfriends account.

Message 21 of 125
latest reply

@duffy4444 wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@vintagecraze50 

OMG, that is a crazy story to be sure ... any clues on their Feedback that they might be a brick shy of a load?  The elevator doesn't go all the way to the top?  Not the brightest bulb in the light?  Way out past 3 Sigma? 

@mr_lincoln:

Adding one of my favorites: "Two tacos short of a combination plate"...

Cheers, Duffy

@duffy4444   Works for me ... actually makes me a little hungry LOL!

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 22 of 125
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

No kidding. I was just floored where I got this message.

@vintagecraze50   I've always said "truth is stranger than fiction" and some of this stuff you just can't make up.

If your schedule permits let us know if the package intercept works or if it gets delivered what happens?!?

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 23 of 125
latest reply

Finally got the intercept to go though online and did get a hold of postmaster at destination PO. Package has not arrived there it is hung up at a processing facility. Thank God. He is informed to be on the lookout for the package when it gets there. 

Message 24 of 125
latest reply

devon@ebay 

So would this intercepted parcel be considered Undeliverable?

Message 25 of 125
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

devon@ebay 

If successful, an intercepted package is sent back to the seller so no, it isn’t considered undeliverable.  The seller would have the package back at their own request and would have to refund the buyer. 

Message 26 of 125
latest reply

I still can't get past the "I'm homeless and he will get the package" (and destroy it) thing.   She's homeless and one of them bought a $300 ring.   

"Priorities straight" and "anger management" are two thoughts that come to mind.

P.S.  I hope you get your package back.

Message 27 of 125
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

devon@ebay 

Why would it be considered "undeliverable", wouldn't it just be not delivered.  Just thinking on this logically the buyer did not receive it or ask for the intercept.  The OP is protecting themselves because of the emails they have received from the buyer.  Once the OP has the item back, they should refund the buyer.

FYI, doing a cancellation is NOT necessary either.  The OP should just refund and move on.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 28 of 125
latest reply

I'm actually willing to believe the (panicked) buyer.

The boyfriend threw her out.

She doesn't have enough money to pay first and last month rent+ security deposit on a new place- or hasn't had time to find one.

That makes her homeless. Whether in her car, a women's shelter, a motel, or under a bridge.

And she spent $300 in happier times (like last week) for something pretty.

She wants to have cash not bling, but the boyfriend is threatening to destroy her chances of getting a refund.

If there was a joint bank account, even more problems putting her finances in order

She may not be the brightest star on the Christmas tree, or very good at communication, but I can understand the situation.

Many people live paycheck to paycheck. Foolish but there you are.

Message 29 of 125
latest reply

"homeless"...how does one do a refund with a homeless person? Internet...iPhone...banking...Probably using a public computer in a library.

I would not do a refund or even have recalled the package(which I assume there is a charge).

Message 30 of 125
latest reply