cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer return an envelope to get $2.5k refund of 8lb item

High value team says as long as fedex tracks shows return delivered they cannot stop refund. Is that a joke? What shall I do?

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Re: Buyer return an envelope to get $2.5k refund of 8lb item

@dqupgrade wrote:

And when I ask them disallow return they said explicitly that buyer should be able to return without providing any evidence and response.

So that's eBay. Buyer can return with no evidence and can get refund regardless of what they actually return as long as tracking shows label delivered. And if item value is higher than $2k you get stuck with high value team and cannot even file appeal through other department.

Not exactly.  But you have to have better proof than just a picture.  Those can be faked which is why Ebay doesn't take them as being the only piece of evidence.

You need to get the info from the carrier that showed the original shipment weight and their records will show a pic of the package they processed.  That will be FROM the carrier.  Then get the same info on the return package.  That will be real evidence.

While I've never had a buyer do this, I did have a seller pull a similar scam on me.  I got the carrier to give me all that info and I won my INR even though the case showed delivered.  The weight on the package they shipped me was no where near what the weight would have been if they shipped what I ordered.  The shipped a lighter package to someone in my zip code and gave that tracking number on my transaction.  I was able to prove all of that with Carrier information, not just cuz I said so or my own pics.

You have got to have evidence and you currently don't have it.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 31 of 59
latest reply

@dqupgrade wrote:

I will pasted the emails I receive from them once this case got finalized. Of course I explained to them again and again and they just tell me to wait for the hold and when case hold is done they say they understand this return is difficult but they made decision and no more appealing.

No need.  I understand why they denied you if all you had was your own pic to prove what you say the buyer did.

Message 32 of 59
latest reply

While high value team never asked any evidence from me except saying picture evidence cannot be used. I ask how about I go to Fedex and they quickly closed the case with refund. I will try to get evidence from Fedex but another issue is only high value team can appeal on their decision and they emailed me saying no more appeals.

Message 33 of 59
latest reply

@dqupgrade wrote:

While high value team never asked any evidence from me except saying picture evidence cannot be used. I ask how about I go to Fedex and they quickly closed the case with refund. I will try to get evidence from Fedex but another issue is only high value team can appeal on their decision and they emailed me saying no more appeals.

That is a good question, but concentrate on getting the real evidence first.  Then we can try to figure out the next steps.

If Ebay won't listen, there are agencies outside of ebay where you can report the Buyer for Fraud.  To include Small Claims court which in many cases can be done Virtually now.

But gather all your evidence.  Make hard copies of everything and create an PDF file or an MS word file that you copy everything into for electronic transmissions as needed.  Don't forget a full copy of the listing they purchased from and a copy of the Order.

Message 34 of 59
latest reply

Update: high value team has someone reviewed the case and right now buyer is no longer eligible for eBay Money Back Guarantee so they plan to revert the refund.

Message 35 of 59
latest reply

@dqupgrade wrote:

Update: high value team has someone reviewed the case and right now buyer is no longer eligible for eBay Money Back Guarantee so they plan to revert the refund.

You should be aware that if Ebay does rule in your favor, which would be wonderful, they can't pull the money from the buyer.  Ebay will pay you out of their pocket.  But the good thing is you'd have your money back, however the buyer does end up getting away with it.  However Ebay may sanction their account in one way or another.

Message 36 of 59
latest reply

@dqupgrade wrote:

Wait, WHAT???  Just minutes before this (in the wee hours of the night) you said the case was closed with no chance of appeal.   How did you convince them to change their minds so fast all of a sudden ...again, in the middle of the night?? 

Message 37 of 59
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

But the good thing is you'd have your money back

Delete.  Got this post mixed up with a very similar one going on at the same time,  lol. 

Message 38 of 59
latest reply

Yes strange. Not sure why someone just did a review and revert the refund. Maybe they have some people working in India. Maybe Facebook account helped secretly. Who knows. But they revert refund just because buyer's status changed. Previously buyer is good status but right now somehow eBay thinks buyer is suspicious and doesn't want to give buyer money back protection any more. Maybe someone else or my report to buyer took some effects.

Message 39 of 59
latest reply

But had you even contacted Ebay For Business on Facebook yet??  Also did the message really come to your inbox while you were here discussing the situation, or was it from hours before and you just hadn't checked it until then?  
Weirdest thing I've ever seen.  Happy for you for sure, but weird. 😆

Message 40 of 59
latest reply

One good thing about Fed Ex is they take pictures of what they leave and easy to see if it was a package or an envelope. I think they do that will all shipments now.

Message 41 of 59
latest reply

This should not have been difficult. The item sent was a eight pound package. FedEx can confirm to eBay the return delivered was a envelope weighing less than a pound. That is proof enough that the buyer did not return the original item. 

Message 42 of 59
latest reply

I would file a BBB complaint against eBay immediately.  They are required to respond.  And if you search their BBB complaints now, you will see cases like yours resolved through the BBB where the Seller received their money back.

Message 43 of 59
latest reply

Also wanted to share...

I take a video when I package a high-value item.  I record the entire process, incuding up close shots of the package from all angles, to show the box was in good condition, the item from all angles to show its condition when packaged, and then the entire process of me wrapping in bubble, etc. and placing the item into the box, and sealing the box.  I keep the video going while I seal the box with packing tape and...

I use a colored Sharpie to write large X's across each section of tape, taking care to overlap each X onto the box.  This creates a tamper-proof system that should remain intact until your Buyer receives the item and opens it.  I only end the video after I've finished with the X's and applying the label, which I also show up close as the final shot.

I then take a photo of the package, up close, at the carrier when I'm giving them the package, as proof the package was received by them in good condition, with the X's intact.  

I then send that last photo to my Buyer as confirmation the package was accepted in good condition.  An honest Buyer will appreciate this.  A dishonest Buyer will get annoyed or realize you have prepared evidence that will fight any dishonest claims.  

If they request a return, I require them to do the same.  In fact, I write in my listings that, for any high-valued items, I will require a video for a return and will message them instructions should a return be initiated.  This then becomes part of the terms stated in your listing, and eBay has to honor it.  Plus, it dissuades any dishonest Buyers.

I've had a few scam attempts on eBay.  I've found photos and videos are always my best defense in shutting down a false claim.

I hope the BBB can help!

Message 44 of 59
latest reply

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/san-jose/profile/online-shopping/ebay-inc-1216-204015/complaints#165604595...

See this BBB complaint.  It may help you get your money back.  Looks like the key is to immediately file fraud complaints and police reports, and then push eBay to do a fraud investigation on the Buyer.  As long as a Buyer's account is in good standing, they get a refund.  If you can get their account deactivated via eBay's fraud team, you can get your money back.

Message 45 of 59
latest reply