cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer did a charge back immediately after I shipped the item, but fortunately...

Fortunately I checked the email on time, and I immediately went back to the post office and retrieved the package that I just dropped off.

Question now: Do I cancel the order?

If I respond to the dispute, there are only 2 options:

*Challenge and provide supporting documentation.
*Accept and agree to have the dispute amount deducted from my funds.
If I accept and agree to have the dispute amount deducted from my funds, that would not be fair because the fees and taxes would also be deducted from my funds. The total transaction amount is about $150, and only about $100 went to my funds.
By the way, they bought this Saturday, and they waited for the item shipped and positive feedback left before filing a charge-back.
Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Buyer did a charge back immediately after I shipped the item, but fortunately...

"Accept and agree to have dispute amount deducted from my funds"...So while you refund the sale immediately the refund will come out of your "available funds" if you have any funds there.

I don't know if this sale has transferred the funds into your account yet. You have so many days to refund.

Lucky you, I am dealing with a dispute such as your but it is from March 2023 and have to decide what to do with my dispute. Banks always win. And my buyer is no longer registered on eBay.

Good luck.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Re: Buyer did a charge back immediately after I shipped the item, but fortunately...

the buyer did not recognize the transaction.

@dreambooks 

We see a lot of that simply because the information displayed to a buyer from an eBay sale is often pretty lean.  It simply states something in order of "paid to eBay, Inc" and an amount.  There is no mention of the product, or your seller name, or anything else.  If it was a newer "autopay" situation, the buyer can be charged and the item paid for without even knowing the full price/taxes/shipping, so the numbers don't match up either causing a different sort of concern. 

Did you try and contact the buyer when you got notice of the Payment Dispute?  It could be that he/she filed against you in error, meaning it to be for another transaction altogether.  

Since you have your product back, you can "accept" the dispute.  According to the polices it is suggested that eBay will return your final value fees after the fact.  You should get a refund for the cancelled label in about a month.  In the meantime,  you will be responsible for the refund (total amount the buyer paid).  You don't have that, of course since eBay took their share already and unless you have an available balance from other sales it will be a bit more complicated. It will also depend on how fast the money for an 'accepted' dispute is yanked back.  eBay may or may not allow the "held funds" to be used for the refund, and you may need to have money on hand to fund the whole thing via a credit card or bank account with the hold removed after the Payment Dispute is settled.  This can take from a couple of weeks to a month as well. 

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

Accept dispute

By accepting, you authorize eBay to deduct the dispute amount from your funds.

We will deduct the dispute amount after we receive the outcome from the buyer's payment institution. You won't be charged a dispute fee.

Total amount $139.50

end of quote

It does not say that I will get the fees back

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

This helps me with my dispute which I need to answer by the 13th.

My dispute which is from a sale 8 months ago. I now know it is up to the bank. So my buyer is no longer a registered user on eBay. I am kinda wondering how many disputes my buyer did before getting knocked off of eBay. And how many disputes a bank allows before they stop letting the buyer do disputes. I keep hoping my dispute would get closed by the bank before I do anything but nothing yet.

Message 19 of 19
latest reply