cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Fraudulently Returned Items Different From Received

Buyer buys three books from me. A month later he makes wildly inaccurate and bizarre claims about the descriptions of two of them and wants to return them. No problem although I was perplexed as to why he would make these claims (ex-library when not, etc..) when I offer free returns for any reason. Both books were returned to me yesterday in two separate packages and both contained a worthless, throwaway book. The value of the two books he was supposed to send back was about $380.

After doing some research it looks like I'm out of luck. If I don't refund within 2 days, Ebay will for me (in full). It seems like the best overall strategy to limit my losses would be to issue a refund (before Ebay does) and deduct the 50 percent they allow for returns not in the same condition. 

Today I filed complaints with both the USPS Mail Fraud Division and The FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) although I have little hope anything will come of it. Did make me feel a tad better though.

Would you guys agree that at this point this might be the least worst option?

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Buyer Fraudulently Returned Items Different From Received

Another very good reason to accept returns.

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

File another report @jugglebee through eBay and mention the USPS/IC3 cases.

If you refund 50% in accordance with TRS protections you don't have to worry about the balance. You get protections even for chargebacks on the balance.

I would not tell the buyer about the reports. It accomplishes nothing other than potentially upsetting them and causing them to use other accounts to take revenge with malicious purchases. Keep it professional and keep the reports between you and eBay.

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

If the buyer complains, eBay will typically pay the other 50% out of their pocket without chargeback.

At least from my experience.

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

@robbie31415 wrote:

If the buyer complains, eBay will typically pay the other 50% out of their pocket without chargeback.

At least from my experience.

Sad but true. 

I had a buyer file INR, tracking showed delivery and case closed in my favor. 

Buyer complained to ebay and got a refund anyway. (Nothing came from my pocket, but still.......)

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

Just to follow up this is exactly what happened. I was allowed to refund 50 percent last night , the buyer instantly opened two cases and a very short time later I got two emails stating Ebay found that I was not at fault and that they were giving the buyer the other 50 percent back out of their own pocket.

Appears to be the perfect crime...

Thanks for your insights!

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

ebay already change the  feedback removal policy too, so now scammer have open hands to loot sellers, return empty boxes or wrong items and if seller fight for their rights then scammers also leave negative feedback that is not removeable. you did right thing from your side but ebay itself is not doing enough. scammers are here to blackmail sellers on negative feedbacks and its  more welcoming for them after ebay did this worst change in feedback policy.

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

@jugglebee wrote:

Unfortunately I don't have much of a presence on social media and have neither Facebook or Twitter which seems could have been helpful here.

Set up a dummy account on one or the other (I think Facebook is where they really provide the most support now, I saw someone mention the Twitter link was just giving them automated answers), with just your name or even a fake name, and no picture or other details.  No need to actually use either service in order to have access to the company messenger system.  I did that with my work email address, to avoid using my personal FB account for work.

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

That is nice to know for sure.

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

I really am grateful that ebay supports its seller in these cases, but I certainly do not like that someone who lied got rewarded. I do know that ebay keeps track of these people and somehow someway may be able to stop them from doing it over and over again. I am glad they helped you.

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

File with your local PD.  Then contact the buyers PD with the case number you have sith your local PD, they may not help you without your local PD as a liaison.  The buyers PD may realize the person is someone they already know for this kind of stuff.

Of,course block this buyer and report them to ebay for theft not returning your items.

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

In my career, I have been in the position of writing and interpreting policies and administrative rules.  I have read the returns policy several times and it seems clear to me that everything about the condition in which something has to be returned pre-supposes that the SAME item that was sold is the one being returned.  I have to conclude that  eBay's corporate counsel had a hand in drafting this, and they know full well how to say expressly if it was also intended to cover the return of an item that was not the one sold.  To me, returning an item other than the one sold is equivalent to utterly failing to return the sold item, a situation in which no refund is due.  (That return policy also does not mention that in the case of the return of the sold item damaged or used, that one is limited to a 50% maximum.   However, it is possible the 50% ceiling appears elsewhere and if someone out there can refer me to it, I would appreciate it.)  The bulk of eBay buyers are honest and upright, and in 25+ years I have only encountered two bad apples.  Nevertheless, it is distressing to read on some of the eBay-focused social media about cases such as yours and that they don't feel supported by eBay.  Anyhow, I am glad you filed the criminal complaints and really feel your frustration.

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

Ok, I did find a chart detailing the percentages that one can withhold, up to 50%.  However, none of the situations include substitution of another item and failing to return the item sold.             

Message 27 of 27
latest reply