cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Complained About Wet Book/Bad Packaging.

Hello Ebayers!

I've been on Ebay since 2007, but have really stepped up my selling lately as I am getting rid of my book collection. I had a buyer complain that they received their book "soaking wet". I use thick manilla evelopes to ship my books since they are sturdy and are frankly work great for book packaging. Who's fault is this? Yes, there is water proof packaging out there but I find they offer no protection to books. Is this USPS's fault? I can't imagine how it became "soaking wet". I appoligized to the buyer and suggested they file a complaint with the Post Office. Luckily they actually left good feedback. I would love to hear everyones thoughts. Thanks.

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: Buyer Complained About Wet Book/Bad Packaging.

@squall387

I'd be reluctant to use christmas wrapping paper.  While it may be water resistant, I doubt it's water proof.  It might run when wet too - staining the book. 

Wrap an unsellable book in it and then place it in a tray of water and see what happens. 

Message 16 of 43
latest reply

I always double wrap my books.  I use a yellow bubble wrap envelope to help keep the book stiff, then put it in a box or poly bag.  Just because it's lined with that bubble wrap, does not mean it's 100% protected.  Also, a mailbox flap could not have been shut, mailbo ie leaky, left on a porch, etc.

Message 17 of 43
latest reply

@squall387 wrote:

Hello Ebayers!

I've been on Ebay since 2007, but have really stepped up my selling lately as I am getting rid of my book collection. I had a buyer complain that they received their book "soaking wet". I use thick manilla evelopes to ship my books since they are sturdy and are frankly work great for book packaging. Who's fault is this? Yes, there is water proof packaging out there but I find they offer no protection to books. Is this USPS's fault? I can't imagine how it became "soaking wet". I appoligized to the buyer and suggested they file a complaint with the Post Office. Luckily they actually left good feedback. I would love to hear everyones thoughts. Thanks.

I'm thinking that since they left good feedback after you said something about going to the PO, they were making up or exaggerating the soaking wet problem.   If I got a book that was soaking wet, it would be unreadable and i would be filing a dispute about it.

I always wrap anything that could get water damaged in some sort of plastic.

(*Bleep*)
Message 18 of 43
latest reply

@lintbrush* wrote:

Lots of major rainstorms across the US in the past week or so.  It could've been left on a porch exposed to several hours of rain.

Many book sellers ziplock bag their books or offer some other type of waterproof packaging

It also could be left in the rain on the tarmac of an airport. Many cartons of goods are damaged that way.

@squall387 wrote:

Hello Ebayers!

I'm not sure why you are asking who is responsible. You admit that you shipped it out in paper envelope that was potentially unprotected from the elements. Of course you're responsible. I'd invest in some zip lock bags at the very least. 

Message 20 of 43
latest reply

I sell books and paper items on my other ID. I always seal books in a ziplock to protect from moisture. I also only use boxes for books.  As a buyer, I once got a hardback book, albeit a thin one, that had been sent in a bubble mailer. By the time I got it, it was almost bent in half. That stopped me from using bubble mailers for books. 

Message 21 of 43
latest reply

I sell vintage series books and would hate to have them damaged in shipping after surviving for so long.  

I wrap them in white tissue paper, put them in a zip lock bag, bubble wrap them and then use an EBAY poly bubble mailer ( free with my store coupon). It may be overkill but I feel they will survive anything.  I have never had any problems and get lots of postitive comment in my feedback on the packing.

Tissue & ziplock are cheap at the dollar store and worth it if you are going to be selling a lot of books.

Good Luck

Message 22 of 43
latest reply

My method for shipping books is place them in a plastic shopping bag with no holes tied up, then secured in thick cardboard, size depends on book, then cardboard taped over every inch with clear shipping tape. Never had a single issue. Hope this helps

Message 23 of 43
latest reply

Manilla envelope. FIne against light rain and drizzle unless if was left outdoors which it shouldn't have. My mailbox is over 20 years old and it doesn't leak.

Message 24 of 43
latest reply

Yes I've been using tissue paper. I didn't know the dollar store sold zip lock bags. Thanks for the tip! Problem solved!

Message 25 of 43
latest reply

@squall387

lol around here if the PO put a box on my steps,

rain would be the last of my problems.

Dogs using it as a fire hydrant, I am thinking.

Message 26 of 43
latest reply

Buyer responded and said PO left package on front steps, not mailbox. Are they responsible for the damage?

Message 27 of 43
latest reply

Any books I've shipped that I didn't have bags for, I would wrap them with Saran wrap.  Most people would have that in their kitchen.

Message 28 of 43
latest reply

@squall387

@squall387 wrote:

Buyer responded and said PO left package on front steps, not mailbox. Are they responsible for the damage?

By ebay standards... yes they are.

Message 29 of 43
latest reply

My books are wrapped in plastic wrap.... this wrap "sticks to itself.

For a small book it is one layer which seals the book,   with second layer at right angles.as a double seal

For a larger book it is wrap lower half, then upper half.

Sometimes it s then wrap right half,  then wrap left half... while at other times it is just one layer of wrap at right angles to the first layer or layers of plastic wrap

This wrap  comes in rolls 300 yards long... good value... and it sticks to itself  providing a waterproof cover..

All books are mailed in custom  made boxes.

Lighter weight books  that can be sent letterpost  are wrapped in plastic wrap... then  sealed in a folder  and then in an envelope  which is over-taped in such a away as to prevent anyone from folding the book over ....

I live in Canada  and send books to all destinations in Canada and the US.....No wet book problems./... never

Many years ago   A book was mailed to Germany... box was wet... but book was protected by the layers of plastic wrap... Buyer was very, very happy.

Message 30 of 43
latest reply