cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Complained About Wet Book/Bad Packaging.

Hello Ebayers!

I've been on Ebay since 2007, but have really stepped up my selling lately as I am getting rid of my book collection. I had a buyer complain that they received their book "soaking wet". I use thick manilla evelopes to ship my books since they are sturdy and are frankly work great for book packaging. Who's fault is this? Yes, there is water proof packaging out there but I find they offer no protection to books. Is this USPS's fault? I can't imagine how it became "soaking wet". I appoligized to the buyer and suggested they file a complaint with the Post Office. Luckily they actually left good feedback. I would love to hear everyones thoughts. Thanks.

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer Complained About Wet Book/Bad Packaging.

I sell vintage series books and would hate to have them damaged in shipping after surviving for so long.  

I wrap them in white tissue paper, put them in a zip lock bag, bubble wrap them and then use an EBAY poly bubble mailer ( free with my store coupon). It may be overkill but I feel they will survive anything.  I have never had any problems and get lots of postitive comment in my feedback on the packing.

Tissue & ziplock are cheap at the dollar store and worth it if you are going to be selling a lot of books.

Good Luck

View Best Answer in original post

Message 22 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Lots of major rainstorms across the US in the past week or so.  It could've been left on a porch exposed to several hours of rain.

Many book sellers ziplock bag their books or offer some other type of waterproof packaging

Message 2 of 43
latest reply

i sell paper goods and I use the same envelopes etc -- but I would never send anything out that could get damaged by water without protection. You can buy bread bags at big box ( look where the ziplock bags are) if you are in a small town and have no access to anything else. If you have a lot to sell look on here for sometype of shipping bag. I just sold a lot of 30+ books and I put several in a bag -put a small trash bag around all and didn't have to worry about the box getting wet. Good luck

Message 3 of 43
latest reply

@squall387 wrote:

Hello Ebayers!

I've been on Ebay since 2007, but have really stepped up my selling lately as I am getting rid of my book collection. I had a buyer complain that they received their book "soaking wet". I use thick manilla evelopes to ship my books since they are sturdy and are frankly work great for book packaging. Who's fault is this? Yes, there is water proof packaging out there but I find they offer no protection to books. Is this USPS's fault? I can't imagine how it became "soaking wet". I appoligized to the buyer and suggested they file a complaint with the Post Office. Luckily they actually left good feedback. I would love to hear everyones thoughts. Thanks.

@squall387, I'm not sure how your package became wet, but yesterday I received a very well packed package (cardboard), not too big - probably about 6" x 6" box and one corner of the package was wet even though it was sealed with tape.  I'm thinking the postman had it laying next to something in his truck that was wet and the package got damp.

Not the seller's fault so I l eft her 5* positive feedback because nothing was damaged and everything inside was beautiful.  

Message 4 of 43
latest reply

Once I bought some bubble wrap, and it sat on my porch all day IN THE RAIN. Well, the rain leaked through and got it all wet I was able to dry it out, and did not have to worry about contacting the seller or anything.

Your books seem to be priced around the $5 and free shipping area, so I don't think refunding your buyer would be too big of a hassle.

https://bio.link/langs
Message 5 of 43
latest reply

Just the fact that the buyer left you a positive feedback probably would tell me that they were telling you the truth.  IMO the right thing to do now would be to send them a refund.

As far as packaging, if you are only using a manilla envelopes, I do not think that would be very good packaging.  For books they really need to be sealed in maybe a zip lock bag and then at the very least use a bubble mailer instead of just a manilla envelope.

There are a verw book sellers here in the forum so perhaps they will come along and offer guidance on packaging books.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 6 of 43
latest reply

There is no excuse, with media mail being so affordable to skimp on proper packaging. Had this book been placed in my mail box 2 days ago and not yesterday it would have got soaking wet. Mailboxes are not water tight and subject to leaking expecially when an area is going through freeze/thaw cycles.

As you can see, my mail lady made a note on the package that it was received this way.

Message 7 of 43
latest reply

Everything I ship gets protection, especially if it's paper.  I use shrink wrap bags, Though I do not always shrink them (I do for video tapes and laserdiscs).  Also use zip lock bags  for some books and tapes.  Even though DVD's are in plastic, I encase them in bubblewrap.  Magazines get bagged and boarded and placed between two pieces of cardboard and in a manila envelope.

I get great feedback on my packaging.

Message 8 of 43
latest reply

Who's fault is this?

--------------------------------

If the buyer filed a snad, it would be your fault.

Message 9 of 43
latest reply

@lintbrush* wrote:

Lots of major rainstorms across the US in the past week or so.  It could've been left on a porch exposed to several hours of rain.

Many book sellers ziplock bag their books or offer some other type of waterproof packaging

I had that happen a few years ago:  the box I mailed was thoroughly soaked,--but the book inside remained in pristine condition.  Because I always seal the book first in a clear plastic bag, then wrap in newspaper and final packaging.  My customer was very happy (and surprised that the book wasn't damaged).  Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 43
latest reply

@squall387 wrote:
Yes, there is water proof packaging out there but I find they offer no protection to books.

IMHO poly sleeves with the seam completely taped provide excellent protection against water damage for books and magazines. So do zip log bags. Mine cost me 13 cents each.

Message 11 of 43
latest reply

When a package goes media mail, you have to imagine what it goes through. It's not like 1st class or priority. I don't know what the weight limit is on Media per box but I have seen some very heavy boxes (textbook lots etc) go across the counter at the post office. When I sell a book, it goes in a plastic bag then sturdy box because of it's likely traveling partner boxes along the way.

Message 12 of 43
latest reply

Lots of good advice here, everyone. Thanks. I think I will start to use zip lock backs inside my packaging. Christmas wrapping paper seems waterproof? That might be a good option for larger books. I have a ton left over from this year.

Message 13 of 43
latest reply

The damage in the photos provided are not seam splits. The book edges caused the damage. I guess you would have to tape over every book edge that could cause wear to the mailer to be effective.

Message 14 of 43
latest reply

@squall387 wrote:

Christmas wrapping paper seems waterproof? That might be a good option for larger books. I have a ton left over from this year.

Christmas wrapping paper IS NOT waterproof

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison
Message 15 of 43
latest reply