cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another styrofoam peanut complaint

Most of my sales are antique glassware and pottery which I wrap well in bubble wrap and cushion with peanuts.  I can go for an entire year without breakage during shipment.  I caved to FeeBays extortion and now sell with  shipping included in the price (i.e. free but not to me).  Any I have the audacity to use styrofoam peanuts to keep the shipping weight and packing costs down.  I never received negative FB for the peanuts but I am  getting tired about comments in the feedback received about using them.  I'm honestly ready to put the following in my listings "Please note that we use styrofoam peanuts to protect your merchandise and reduce shipping and packing costs.  If styrofoam peanuts bother you, please shop elsewhere."  Frankly the kind of Ebayer who would be offended by that is probably the kind that I don't need.  The amount of buyer sniveling on Ebay seems to grow every year.  BTW, I also sell on another site that also begins with the letter E and don't receive that same level sniveling.  

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Another styrofoam peanut complaint

And it's 100% false advertising since they do NOT actually taste like peanuts., Trust me

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

Some sellers use the biodegradable corn starch ones. No harm to pets or kids.

Those are what I use. Mine are from OfficeDepot. I think they can be disposed of by dissolving in water (basically, flushing them), although I've never had to do that, since I need them for shipping. I sometimes receive them with purchases, too, in which case I stockpile them for reuse.

The only downside is that they're not only harmless for pets, but also apparently tasty to other critters. Here (below) is what remained of a full 1.5 cubic foot bag that the mice got into one winter a few years back: 

OfficeDepot_Peanuts.jpg

A close squint will show two round openings chewed into the bag down the right edge, apparently one Entrance and one Exit, for which the mousies enjoyed a buffet line 24/7. (The Exit hole had a little bowl of breath mints next to the cashier for departing customers.) I now store these in plastic tubs.

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

Your post complains about "buyer sniveling" in "Another styrofoam peanut complaint."  

What "other styrofoam peanut complaint"?  
ONE -- uno -- eins -- 1 -- une -- buyer pointed out that he/she hates styrofoam peanuts.  

If I were to characterize anybody as "sniveling" after perusing all your feedback comments, I would say it is -- well -- you.  

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

@monroe67 wrote:

Your post complains about "buyer sniveling" in "Another styrofoam peanut complaint."  

What "other styrofoam peanut complaint"?  
ONE -- uno -- eins -- 1 -- une -- buyer pointed out that he/she hates styrofoam peanuts.  

If I were to characterize anybody as "sniveling" after perusing all your feedback comments, I would say it is -- well -- you.  

You need to look again. Make it easy, and just look for the "snark" reply to spot the other one.

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

I've had customers not wanting me to use tape...I told them I had to use some. Peanuts can be very good when used correctly.   They  always fly all over the place no matter how carefully I dump them in the trash. 

Message 20 of 32
latest reply

@deltilogical wrote:

I've had customers not wanting me to use tape...I told them I had to use some. Peanuts can be very good when used correctly.   They  always fly all over the place no matter how carefully I dump them in the trash. 

Sometimes those little turds seem to hold static and just go all over.  If I take them outside to dump in the big can, better not even have a slight breeze.

Posting ID
Message 21 of 32
latest reply

Did you try all the flavors?  Do the pink ones taste like strawberries?  What flavor are the yellow ones?

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

You "caved to Feebay's extortion"? How does that work?

If shipping is built into the price and you list with free shipping, the buyer pays for shipping.  Remember "shipping built into price"? Then what do you mean by "free but not to me"? 

You have something listed for $100 with free shipping and the price of shipping is $25.

I buy it.  I pay you $100 (plus possibly sales tax).  You use $25 to pay for shipping.

Or, you have something listed for $75 plus $25 shipping.  I pay $100.  You use $25 to pay for shipping.

What's the difference between these scenarios? 

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

I think it works like this 

“One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all
Go ask Alice
When she's ten feet tall“

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

I read the FB you referred to. I think it recognized the fact that the hated peanuts were responsible for the safe arrival. I am easily offended by buyers, and this buyer stuck me as unoffensive, just trying to be clever.

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

And it's 100% false advertising since they do NOT actually taste like peanuts., Trust me

I recall hearing a story from someone who received a piece of equipment packed in popcorn -- actual popped corn popcorn. The popcorn was in a large sealed plastic bag like a clear garbage bag and appeared to be left over from a movie theater or carnival or some other source of industrial quantities of actual popcorn. The person telling the tale was apparently horrified when a coworker opened the bag and began eating a handful. Reportedly the popcorn tasted a little stale but was otherwise OK.

Apparently the coworker got about halfway through the large garbage bag of popcorn before encountering the little slip of paper that said: "Popcorn has been treated with an anti-fungal agent -- not for human consumption".

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

@eburtonlab wrote:

Apparently the coworker got about halfway through the large garbage bag of popcorn before encountering the little slip of paper that said: "Popcorn has been treated with an anti-fungal agent -- not for human consumption".

That explains a lot of things. I've been eating popcorn forever, and you will find no fungus on me. No sir!

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

I like the kind of popcorn with the anti-vampire agent - garlic.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 28 of 32
latest reply

Some days things just get to you!

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

Glad to see that you have launched a full blown investigation into the Styrofoam peanut situation.

Be sure to return and give us your findings.  

Message 30 of 32
latest reply