cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$2.22 Books and/or DVDs with Free Shipping? How/Why????

Lucy... you've got some 'xplaining to do! How the heck does the math on this work? Even with the cheapest Media Mail you're still paying nearly $3 to ship an item... but somehow there are tons of these sort of listings out there. How is anyone making even a dime on these... and this just pushes the prices down further for the legitimate media sellers 😕
Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: $2.22 Books and/or DVDs with Free Shipping? How/Why????

Some very high volume sellers may get shipping discounts for pre-sorting their own outgoing mail and paying a bulk rate.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

That... but even with crazy discounts (and assuming you get your retail stock for basically free) it still couldn't be worth the time + effort. I wondering if this is some sort of China retail issue where their mail expenses are all being subsidized. Alternatively, eBay could just be giving one really big seller crazy rebates (essentially free shipping) and they have x-number of thousand individual seller accounts somehow :?
Message 3 of 26
latest reply

It is also possible they are doing what I personally call "trash sales" to pad their service metrics numbers on their higher value items. That is what people have to do on Amazon to succeed. Now we are going to have to do that on eBay. What a shock...
Message 4 of 26
latest reply

If you're talking about the mega booksellers like Thriftbooks, they buy closeout books by the train car  and tractor trailer load. I think they pay by the ton, so it winds up that each book costs them pennies. They have contracts (Thriftbooks does, anyway) with DHL using their hybrid program like Fedex's SmartStupidPost for USPS to deliver the last mile. They do their own presorting and palleting. I am guessing they ship thousands of books daily. No idea what they pay, probably a couple of dollars or less per package.

That said, they make their money in multiple purchases. Every time I buy from them I buy at least five or six books at a time, if not more. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Nope, ThriftBooks (which is 95% ex-libris they get for free) sells at $3.99 - which is reasonable (for the quality, or lack thereof)
Message 6 of 26
latest reply

@maddocks wrote:
Lucy... you've got some 'xplaining to do! How the heck does the math on this work? Even with the cheapest Media Mail you're still paying nearly $3 to ship an item... but somehow there are tons of these sort of listings out there. How is anyone making even a dime on these... and this just pushes the prices down further for the legitimate media sellers 😕

I don't 100% agree. The world is full of "better price" books. The megasellers may degrade the prices somewhat but the market keeps the prices higher for many.  Many/most of the cheapest books sold by them are, well, cheap books.  From time to time I buy an el cheapo novel because I don't care about the condition, just want to read the book and it's either not at the library and/or I am too lazy to go hunt for it at the used bookstore. But your average small seller simply can't be in the business of selling the cheapest of books.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

When you deal with the mega booksellers you normally get what you paid for.  The low prices translate into low service and low quality books. If you just want a book and don't care if you get it this year or next year, they are okay. Mold, mildew, tears, and wear are at no additional charge. 

If you want a good book to read, keep, and treasure, you are probably better off using a reputable longtime bookseller. Quality sellers can't compete with mega booksellers on price but there is no comparison in other areas.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

I searched Buy It Now book priced at $2.25 or less with Free Shipping. 

In Fiction and Literature, I found  2350 listings out of 9 million listings.  

In Nonfiction, I found  6815 listings out of 22.8 million listings. 

In Textbooks, Education and Reference I found 1245 out of 4.3 million listings. 

So while they certainly exist, at 0.029% of listings I susp[ect the detrimental effect on the site is marginal. 

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

@upgradedendmills wrote:

When you deal with the mega booksellers you normally get what you paid for.  The low prices translate into low service and low quality books. If you just want a book and don't care if you get it this year or next year, they are okay. Mold, mildew, tears, and wear are at no additional charge. 

If you want a good book to read, keep, and treasure, you are probably better off using a reputable longtime bookseller. Quality sellers can't compete with mega booksellers on price but there is no comparison in other areas.

So true!  I just purchased a book from one of those big time sellers and the danged thing was full of underlining (not disclosed) and marginal notes, but the condition was supposedly 'good' - ugghhhh...that's maybe readers copy or fair at best.

On Amazon the penny booksellers used to make their money by charging over the media mail rates and never combining shipping.  The penny books are gone but they're still don't combine.

On here, every single book I've tried to list, some big bookseller is managing to sell AND ship for less than I can simply ship - these are hardbounds and mine are in excellent condition.  It's frustrating, but then I'm not in it to make a living, just to clean out the bookshelves.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 26
latest reply

I have always done well with selling books because of how I have been able to buy them. I stay away from any best sellers or book club books as much as possible. There is an intrinsic value in most of what I buy because I like them and don't mind keeping them. 

Over years and years of selling books I have found 2 groups that can be purchased in large lots for about $2 each and resold for $12-$35 each over time.  They are small books and don't take up a bunch of space. For the most part, they are books, not magazines, and can be shipped either Media Mail legitimately or 1st class if they are magazines. Customers really seem to appreciate the quicker shipping method and it is a great selling tool.

Art books and books from the 50's always seem to do well for me. I have also found that true antique (or close) books seem to sell well as long as condition is accurately described and the price is reasonable (not cheap). This type of book will also justify the cost of Priority shipping and the built in insurance. Certain magazines also have a steady market and can be very profitable if purchased in large lots and broken up. Just my way of doing it.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

On here, every single book I've tried to list, some big bookseller is managing to sell AND ship for less than I can simply ship - these are hardbounds and mine are in excellent condition.  It's frustrating, but then I'm not in it to make a living, just to clean out the bookshelves.

That sounds like the principle that hardcovers in excellent condition are so often a disappointment in terms of sale price. Of course the majority of all books are worthless but when you have a nice condition hardcover it just seems they MUST be worth something.

This also seems to be a principle on Facebook. There are zillions of books on there in excellent condition so people want $40 for a lot or $5 each, including children's books. I pointed out to one person that the same set of books goes for much less on ebay. I know, I hate that kind of remark, but couldn't help myself. The person replied that they are in ....wait for it....excellent condition!

For me the corrolary is "nice knitting books are worthless", I don't know why. They can being newly published and still worth nothing. Them's the breaks.

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

Happens all the time...

I have been selling on eBay since 1998 but not books.

Have 10,000 here in my nyc apartment that I bought over my 4+ decades as an antique jewelry dealer going into houses purchasing Stuff.

I am stumped all the time when trying to figure out prices for my books.

Some sites Google shows many copies of my book in question at $75. to $149.  & I’m so happy.  Then I see the same exact book, as far as I can discern, on eBay for $1.35!

Then I put it back on the shelf & don’t bother with it at all!

Don't want problems!
Hard for me to price my books and every single day I look up at least 10-20 books but don’t really bother with them!

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

@jewelbiz wrote:

Happens all the time...

I have been selling on eBay since 1998 but not books.

Have 10,000 here in my nyc apartment that I bought over my 4+ decades as an antique jewelry dealer going into houses purchasing Stuff.

I am stumped all the time when trying to figure out prices for my books.

Some sites Google shows many copies of my book in question at $75. to $149.  & I’m so happy.  Then I see the same exact book, as far as I can discern, on eBay for $1.35!

Then I put it back on the shelf & don’t bother with it at all!

Don't want problems!
Hard for me to price my books and every single day I look up at least 10-20 books but don’t really bother with them!

Yes, I've seen this too. I've spent the past 18yrs homeschooling my kids. We've used the classics as part of our education along with old children's books from the 40s, 50s & 60s because I like the good character values taught. At times I've tried to sell some of these books & see great prices in one place then come here and see them for cheap. It's confusing. I too have just put them back on the shelf. Many I've passed on to family & friends who homeschool but some I'm keeping for future grandkids. It's a shame because many of these books have such great illustrations. I've actually thought of framing some for decoration.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

Plus I remember years ago finding one of my books selling here on eBay for $75. & I printed out the page of the sale, Putting it someplace safe & sound.

I put it back on a shelf (Which one I don’t know ?) and lost it among 10,000 books never to find it ever again.  Looking...Always searching...

I misplace a book all the time & get sick to my stomach searching for it...Looking everywhere but it’s Gone, lost.
Many many Years passed and I finally found Discovered this One book again.

I immediately looked it up On eBay & Hello! It’s now a $12. Book!

Message 15 of 26
latest reply