cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helping a Confused Customer Reset iPhone Before Returning

Oh boy. A buyer too inept to operate iPhone wants to return it. Fine, but looks like they managed to set up the phone and log it into iCloud.

I know how to instruct someone competent to log out of iCloud and Find My Phone, and erase all data. I honestly don't think this person is up to it.

Any strategies? I honestly never anticipated this scenario, and it's hell to try to reset a set-up phone without the passwords.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Helping a Confused Customer Reset iPhone Before Returning

You need to contact the buyer and get that information from them.  Otherwise the phone will be useless.  Why didn't this buyer just go to an Apple store to get it set up.  They are very helpful there.  Even more knowledgeable than T-Mobile or Verizon.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Go easy because they are under no obligation to help you.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Oh, yeah, for sure. It's not a scam, the customer is genuinely having trouble operating the phone. There are also problems operating eBays messaging system. Keeps saying messages to me aren't being answered. I think customer is forgetting to hit the "send" button. But getting angrier and angrier.

Yikes. I'm starting to smell the end of my 19 years of 100% feedback. 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@bookatron 

The way I dealt with my granddaughters iPhone was to toss it in the trash and got her a real phone.

Have a great day.
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I almost never, ever think this is a good idea, but i this case it may be the best recourse - can you call them, as in on their landline/VoIP and walk them through it? 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Right.  Tech can be frustrating for people who don’t know what they’re doing. That’s it, right there, exactly. 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Hi, Chapeau-noir,

God I hope it doesn't come to that.

She has an apple store in her home city. I've suggested she go there (while not giving the impression I was shoving her off). She's still incommunicado, though because she can't use ebay messaging, but I'm guessing if she does manage to reply, she'll cite COVID fear making her reluctant to go into store. At that point, I can give iPhone tutorial via phone, or accept the phone back, unsellable, as a $300 loss. I've eaten $100 to keep customers happy before, but this is a lot.

If she continues to be unable to message me, it's inevitable she'll start a case with me +  negative feedback.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I'm 100% with Chapeau, pick up the phone & call the buyer, it's not hard IMO.  You comment about the buyer not being able to use technology, phone or message system well, so since you are the 'customer service' rep for your business/sales venue, you can either bridge the gap (by calling in real life) or you can take the ding ($300 loss and neg feedback).  

I'd pick up the phone and give it a whirl 🙂

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@bookatron  I've been through this (I sell some old tech) - it's really hard to get through to some people.  Try sending her a message saying that you're happy to give her coaching over the phone to get her phone working and when you'll give her a call and if she's not answering, to leave your number for her to call you.  I really dislike talking on the phone for more than like a minute, but for $300 I'd do it.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Can't call her. One of her messages miraculously just got through, and she's in the hospital.

Nice lady. And she's very disappointed, really wanted to play with her new smart phone to distract her in the hospital. I actually feel bad for her.

But I can't get her to engage or give me her number. I don't think she's seen a single message from me. She's really far away, or I'd offer to come visit and bring flowers.

This is turning into the Great American Novel of the pitfalls of selling on eBay. I'll keep you all apprised. 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

If they set passwords in that and don't reset all of them. You might never be able  to use it. 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I run into this situation sometimes. Many people aren't tech-savvy, you just need to explain it much more patiently. For example:

Open a web browser

At the top in the address bar type http://www.icloud.com

Enter your login and password and click submit

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

This is the type of scenario that prevents me from selling electronic devices on eBay.  Some people just don't understand how to use ,and then want to return claiming they are defective.  I had that happen most recently with a GPS device.  The buyer simply didn't know how to operative the device.  They had the original users guide as well and the weblink to the Garmin site, but just couldn't figure it out.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

In case anyone's still following....

She stopped communicating for a few months, but I finally heard from this customer. She was in hospital twice for covid. She's ok (thank god). She's elderly. Has no idea how to use her iPhone (she tells me she thinks the "microphone" is "broken"), and while she can coherently communicate her thoughts, she can't really reply to questions or follow rudimentary directions.

I doubt I can coach her to sign out of the iPhone, even if I spent an hour with her. So my choice is: refund and eat it as a good deed, or not answer her (I'm not sure she'd notice). 

Looks like she just sold her house (bought @$110K) for $362K, so she's likely not starving, but I, of course, don't know her financial story. Also looks like she's a nice lady, albeit kooky.

Anyway, that's the follow-up. Not sure what I'll do. Perfectly ambivalent.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: