cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you recognize this large blended glaze potter jardiniere? Maker?

Hi,

Looking for help identifying this beautiful jardiniere!  Stands almost 10" tall and top diameter from the

outside of the rim is 11-1/2".

Has numbers on the bottom, but I cannot make them all out.

Thank you for looking!DSCN8475.JPGDSCN8476.JPGDSCN8480.JPGDSCN8482.JPGDSCN8484.JPG

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Do you recognize this large blended glaze potter jardiniere? Maker?

One of the Ohio potters, for sure, but which one would require going through all relative books, one at a time. Possibles include Roseville, McCoy, Brush-McCoy, etc.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thank you for narrowing that down for me!  I have two McCoy books and one Roseville book, not seeing this

in any of them but will keep researching 🙂

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

My best guess is Brush-McCoy, based on the numbers on the bottom, and we have looked through 3 Brush-McCoy books without finding that precise floral design. The blended glaze lines for all those early Ohio potters, is not always well documented, and the catalog pages (where you can find them), is where you will have the best chance of id. Brush-McCoy, I believe, is the only blended-glaze maker who numbered the bottom like your pics show, so that is my best guess, but positive id would require finding the same precise design on a catalog page from that particular maker. (There are some reference books, that show mis-identified makers in post production photos, so you need to find the shape/color/number confirmation in old catalog pages for positive id, IMHO.)

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thank you so much for researching your books for me.  I got on the McCoy collectors site, since I don't have a membership with them I could not access the catalog pages.  I will work on that.  In researching that I did find another Brush McCoy  jardiniere that I have and did not know who made it 🙂

jenzgems_0-1606177836381.jpeg

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

The two jards sure seem to have the same glaze, which would help confirm Brush-McCoy. jk

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Identifying American Pottery - Look at the Bottom | Cajun Collection Article

"Yellow clay was primarily from Ohio, so most of the Ohio potteries used yellow clay. RosevilleMcCoy and Brush are examples of the yellow clay potters. "

"What I call "sloppy" pots were made by Burley-WinterZanesville and sometimes McCoy. These had a glaze that ran down over the edge of the dry foot, oftentimes not trimmed."

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thank you for that link.  I did read through it...interesting 🙂

Message 8 of 8
latest reply