cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Time Collector Seeking Partner

I'm a collector for over 40 years.   Have amassed about 1500 items.   What I call "a collection of collections".

Moving out of state from Northern California//East Bay. 

I'm seeking a partner to help me sell and do the heavy lifting on EBAY.  

1.  All items are pretty well organized and some research, comps, provenance with most items.

2.  Need photos taken.

3.  Need listing assistance.  Most items will be Buy Now and Make Offer. 

4.  Need narrative drafted - in some cases already done.

5.  Need shipping and tracking handled.

6.  Need accounting for items sold.

Fee split or commission?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Id be happy to help with your endeavor. Please check out my eBay store and if you think we would be a good fit, let me know. I sell for private clients and am well versed in the process. Here is a link to my eBay Store - https://www.ebay.com/str/cornucopiaoftreasures

Regards, 

Bruce 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

At one time eBay had a Trading Assistant program.

It basically disappeared because most sellers would not work for the amount consignors were willing to pay.

And most consignors would not pay the amount most seller demanded.

Where  I live the minimum wage is $15.25 an hour.

That's 25c a MINUTE.

How long do you think it takes to set up photography, take pictures, and edit them?

Ten minutes each?  That's a $2.50 cost for labour.

How long do you think it takes to fill and upload a listing?

Five minutes once a template is in place? That's another $1.25.

Description written. I take from ten to 20 minutes for mine and most of that is editing. Call it $2.50.

Wise sellers have any items they are offering in hand. That requires storage space and an inventory system.

It also means your collections will be in the seller's hands.

Shipping includes packaging materials. Bubblewrap is not free.

How long does it take to package an item? I take about five minutes for a postcard or paperback, much longer if I am double boxing a fragile item like a vase or NIB collectible Star Wars figure.

There are no listing fees if the account does not have a Store, but store subscriptions start at $25 a month,whether there are any sales or not.

Selling fees are usually 12.9% on the selling price, the shipping price and any sales taxes the buyer pays. However, in some categories, like books, the FVF is 15%. So a $100 sale loses $12.90 to $15 in fees.

The seller will want you to pay those fees.

And taxes.

Online sales, like any other income, must be declared as income. EBay, like other venues was told to provide information to the IRS if that income was over $600 annually, although this has been rethought and the income needed for the form to be filed is currently $10,000.

This means both you as the owner and the seller as an employee will be declaring income from eBay sales.

Who will pay the tax consultant.

And you will want a written contract, since a stranger will be in possession of your collections.

I haven't mentioned Claims and Disputes, since those are fortunately few and far between.

It's doable. I sold a friend's collection of books over a 20 year period. But it requires trust and communication.

Have you considered selling your collections to the dealers who sold them to you? Or using a (preferably dedicated ) auction house?

You don't have to go to Sotheby's or Butterfield, ask other collectors and dealers for recommendations. Expect that the advisor will get a "finder's fee" from the auction house.

And for that matter, just selling yourself on eBay or other online venues, can be an interesting and profitable hobby in itself.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Posts such as yours are not allowed on ebay.

There is NO way to connect outside of ebay as you can not exchange any private contact info.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Good analysis, I see these requests on Craigslist and other places all the time, but know that there is no way to convey that to these prospective sellers who think '10% of proceeds' ('for little work') is fair.  I remember in the early days there were people and stores doing this - guess what? Most are gone. 

My biggest question is inventory and fulfillment.  People also don't realize that inventory, ESPECIALLY of collectibles, can sit for 6-12 months to years.  Even at very good deals - at some point, you'll get so low that other sellers pop in, but those often have trouble due to very picky reseller (or them swapping for their item).

It's barely worth the risk for my own items for sale, I couldn't imagine being a middleman - time, taxes, logistics and of course the 'why haven't you sold it yet?'...maybe for a $5000 item...maybe...

Message 5 of 5
latest reply