cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this clasp complete, and is this rock crystal?

Piece is graduated and hand knotted, I do not believe the clasp to be sterling.  Unmarked in any case,.

It seems to have a slightly different weight than glass (maybe a bit heavier, unless I'm imagining things).  Curious if it might be rock crystal.

Also wanted to ask about this clasp.  The hook just fits in and loops around, it doesn't come out easily but wondered if something was missing?

Thanks for taking a look.

rock1.jpgrock2.jpg

rock3.jpgrock6.jpg

An estate sale is my natural habitat...

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Is this clasp complete, and is this rock crystal?

Did you check each side of the filigree part? Sometimes they hide a mark there
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Hi Lucille, hope you are keeping well!

I've had quite a few rock crystal necklaces over the years and one thing I've noticed is that they are much much colder  than glass or crystal.

Loupe the beads and see if there are bubbles - one way to immediately elimate the possibility of them being rock crystal is if you see air bubbles.

So if they feel very cold compared with known glass necklaces, consider rock crystal, and try to get them tested.  Do you know anyone who has a gem tester, this is the easiest and fastest way to know for sure. 

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Nice necklace Lucille....the hook pushes into the clasp and will be secure, does that make sense?  When you want to unclasp it you kinda squeeze it, gently pull out, then do the 'unhook' thing.  Also sometimes the mark is on either side of the hook itself.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

The clasp is complete. Push the hook all the way in and it will lock into place.

Have a Blingful Day!
Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Hi they look like crystal to me, and some times the hook of the clasp is marked sterling or 925.. Very nice necklace:)

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Everyone,

Thank you so much.  Just wanted to let you know I saw the replies, I'm heading out to a quick job for someone, I'll be back later this afternoon and will check a few things mentioned and respond.

This board is the best.heart

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

Grab a necklace you know is glass and hold both to your upper lip or cheek. Rock crystal will be noticeably colder.

Looks like a sterling clasp, sometimes these clasps aren't marked but would need to be tested.

Nice necklace !

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

Based on the cut of the beads, my guess would be lead crystal.  Lead crystal is heavier than glass but not quite as heavy as rock crystal.  Cooler than glass but not a cool as rock crystal.  The only way to know for sure is to have them tested, unless you find an air bubble which can be present in both glass and lead crystal but not in rock crystal.  You can also look for inclusions which would be present in rock crystal but not in glass or lead crystal.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 9 of 26
latest reply

Thanks everyone.

Well, have a bit more info.  As luck would have it, this piece was stored in a drawer with another glass necklace so could do a good comparison --did the test and the crystal necklace was distinctly colder.  Not a subtle difference at all, quite a bit colder. 

I took a strong loupe to the entire piece, no bubbles. 

So maybe it is rock crystal, but as I understand it, a gem tester will be needed as conclusive evidence.

No "sterling" written on the clasp, but I have to say that something about the clasp is still bothering me. (To the extent that I'm wondering if the filigree part is possibly a replacement?) I'm used to seeing this type of hook part press into a different device than what is on this necklace.  The kind where it sort of "snaps" in, then you pinch it closed to get it to release.  Maybe my photos weren't detailed enough, but here is what happens with this one:

You just loop the spring hook through the end opening of the filigree piece and it sort of hooks around a metal bar, but none of the spring action of the hook is required.  So it is hooked kind of like hooking a close hanger on a closet rod --there is no tension holding it in, you are relying on the length of the hook and the weight of the necklace to keep it from unhooking.  Does that seem correct?

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

Are you pushing the "V" shaped part into the filigree part?

As Freddy said, "it should lock into place" If not, try spreading the "V" open a little.

The bar it is hooked to in your pic. is actually a safety catch. I have a feeling there is just not enough tension for it to hold. These kind of catches are notorious for not staying caught.

Although,,,,These kind of safety catches actually work.

SORRY for the multiple replies but,,,,,,I am unable to edit and have to use the "Quick Reply" to post. No cursor in regular reply or edit. Any "Mods" care to explain" I bet the "SandyPurins" Id COULD.

@bwrighttwo wrote:

SORRY for the multiple replies but,,,,,,I am unable to edit and have to use the "Quick Reply" to post. No cursor in regular reply or edit. Any "Mods" care to explain" I bet the "SandyPurins" Id COULD.

I have the opposite happening here. I can edit posts that I made days ago. Just discovered this last night on Gauntlett's Bakelite thread .... and to experiment edited a few posts way after the usual 4 or 5 minute window. Thought it might just be a temp glitch overnight, but this AM I went in and edited  a post I made on the Weekend Finds thread to CAV and it worked.

Not sure what is going on....

Message 15 of 26
latest reply