cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Illegal selling of Linear Amplifiers for CB radio

What will it take to get e-bay to remove amplifiers illegally sold for CB radio?  They are sold under many names such as Texas Star, General Lee, Patriot, Palomar, etc.  At this time there are hundreds of 10m (CB band) amplifiers listed within the Ham Radio listings, but they are not used by ham radio operators.  Sellers know they are illegal, so they list them as ham radio linears, but these are not capable of being used on the ham radio bands or frequencies.  The FCC does not allow for the use of linear amplifiers for CB so they cannot be sold in retail stores.  Currently, ebay is the only place they can be sold due to their laxed enforcement policies.  I have reported listing over and over, but they never get removed.  Either ebay does not care or they do not have anyone qualified to review the listing and make that determination.  I am qualified to do that.  Is there a way I can volunteer to help get these illegal items off ebay?  I suspect that I can arrange to enlist additional volunteers to assist and to enforce FCC regulations.  One can simply search for "linear" in ham radio category and easily review and get them removed if ebay wanted to enforce FCC rules.  Thanks

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Illegal selling of Linear Amplifiers for CB radio

You should get in contact with the FCC and see if they will take any type of action.

Trust me.. I feel your pain about reporting illegal items. I still see them listed after months and nothing has changed. 

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@kilo_hertz,

"Currently, ebay is the only place they can be sold due to their laxed enforcement policies. I have reported listing over and over, but they never get removed. Either ebay does not care or they do not have anyone qualified to review the listing and make that determination".

With millions of items being posted on the site daily, ebay cannot possibly "review" all of them for accuracy or legitimate use.  eBay only has so called "experts" for specific categories of items.   Given the apparent average age of ebay employees these days, I doubt any of them even knows what a CB radio is, without loking them up online.

"I have reported listing over and over, but they never get removed".

eBay will not take action if only a couple of unique members report an item. It takes several of different members reporting a particular listing before they will take action. As @janet9988  suggested contacting the FCC may be the only way the listings could get pulled.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Maybe you should focus your energies on something else, like minding your own business. Ebay isn't the government. They have no cause to care about enforcing rules set forth by a bureaucracy. Leave the enforcement to the FCC. That's what they're paid to do. Seriously, this I'd what you have time to worry about? Unbelievable. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I have reported illegal amplifiers as well and they are eventually taken down.  If they aren't  I call ebay directly!

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

ok karen

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

What makes you "qualified" to determine what constitutes as to what is illegal to post on eBay? 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Unfortunately the FCC is now very lax, and no longer feared like they once were. However  what the CBers do is none of my concern as long as they do not cause disruption to my communications. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Solved: Illegal CB Amplifiers - The eBay Community

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply