cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage banjo mandolin, banjolin, appreciate any info

Hello. I have this vintage 8 string banjolin. It is not marked, except on the underside of the head, Jos B Roger's, which is a drum head maker, not the banjolin itself. It has a solid wood drum, with inlaid design, mother of pearl on the fret board, it is in very good condition. I would appreciate any suggestions as to the maker and the value. Thank you 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Vintage banjo mandolin, banjolin, appreciate any info

Could be a Sears or other catalog offering.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

That is an excellent idea. Thank you so much!!! I would appreciate any other info. TIA

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Could also be a kit instrument, since it's a no-name. Very nice looking for a kit though...

How does it play and sound? I'm curious, I've seen them but never heard one. It's a hybrid that doesn't seem to make much sense.

I'd suggest asking on the musical instrument board, but it looks deserted. Maybe I didn't find the right board. Good luck~

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@annadryl wrote:

How does it play and sound?

Exactly!  How does it play and sound?

With no maker's marks at all, it was either a mass-market item or a home-made one.  But either can be of surprisingly good quality.  How it plays and sounds is what matters in a musical instrument, surely. 

I have seen people buy instruments for home decor, to stand in corners for looks and for the implication that the owner is "musical" in some way.  Of course, in that case the maker doesn't matter, either.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

This is a nice-quality instrument, circa 1900-1920, and looks to be in very good condition.  Not the highest grade, but a bit above beginner's basic level, judging by the nice inlay. One nice thing about banjo-family instruments is that they are easily adjustable, and this one should play just fine, possibly needing slight adjustment, head-tightening, or such.

Banjo-mandolins sound like you would expect, high-pitched, somewhat strident; but they are certainly loud.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

This is really useful info. Thank you, appreciate it.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply