cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tired of dishonest sellers!

I am ready to stop buying on ebay altogether. I am so tired of getting torn or stained clothing from people who describe their items as being in excellent condition, no flaws, etc. I then have to get to a printer, pack the item up and get to a post office during my working hours.
 just sent me a shirt with an irreparable tear under the arm. Do they think buyers are too dumb to notice? That they won't return an item? I have a few other packages that I'm actually not wanting to open. I'll be lucky if even one works out.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Good way to weed out bad sellers is to look at the quality of their item descriptions. If someone spent time and effort to take great photos, provide thorough measurements and describe their item (often to mention small flaws), you likely won't have a problem. Sellers like this usually also have very enthusiastic feedback from buyers.

If a seller has a few blurry pictures of something a garment lying on the floor/hanging limply on a hanger, a one-sentence description ("great condition"), no measurements or insufficient ones (and none provided when you message for them), don't buy from them.

Only purchase from sellers who seem thorough and conscientious in their listings. If their listings are sloppy there's a much higher chance their item will be. Vetting out the seller beforehand saves you time in the long run - you have to remember that literally anyone can sell on eBay so you will get some duds.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

The ebay money back guarantee protects buyers for Item not as described as does PayPal buyer protection. With ebay the seller has to pay the return shipping

http://resolutioncenter.ebay.com/

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Some sellers do not describe their items accurately or may not notice something that is obvious to you. The only thing you can do as a buyer is read every part of the listing, look at the pictures, and closely look at your sellers- the amount of detail and work that goes into their listing as well as their feedback. Sorry this has happened to you.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I have had good luck buying clothes and shoes (current styles and vintage, adult and child) on eBay. Not perfect. but still for the prices and variety offered here, in my experience the benefits far outweigh the risks. Sorry you are having issues. I can share that i check seller feedback before buying, avoid sellers whose listings and/or photos are vague or do not contain enough detail, and i ask questions if necessary. If there are not answers to the questions, or the answers are not helpful, i move on. Plenty of awesome fashions here, no need to buy from someone with whom i am not comfortable.

I agree it is inconvenient to do a return, but i am grateful that so far i have not needed to so so often, and the couple of times i did because of listing errors, there was no issue getting it processed. 

I wish there was a way, beyond stellar feedback, to let shoppers know about exceptional sellers. Some i shop from repeatedly and everything i get is amazing. Some maybe i bought only one item, but very helpful communication and wonderful inventory. One seller even recommended a dress after hearing what i was looking for; it is one of my favorite garments!

hope you dont give up and that your luck gets better soon. Every day when i go to my closet, i see the evidence of eBay sellers'  fabulous clothing, shoes, and accessories. So grateful.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Good way to weed out bad sellers is to look at the quality of their item descriptions. If someone spent time and effort to take great photos, provide thorough measurements and describe their item (often to mention small flaws), you likely won't have a problem. Sellers like this usually also have very enthusiastic feedback from buyers.

If a seller has a few blurry pictures of something a garment lying on the floor/hanging limply on a hanger, a one-sentence description ("great condition"), no measurements or insufficient ones (and none provided when you message for them), don't buy from them.

Only purchase from sellers who seem thorough and conscientious in their listings. If their listings are sloppy there's a much higher chance their item will be. Vetting out the seller beforehand saves you time in the long run - you have to remember that literally anyone can sell on eBay so you will get some duds.
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Thanks to all for your suggestions and advice. And the sympathy. I will keep those tips in mind if I purchase again. I'll be sticking with "NWT" in the future.
There should be a better way to filter out bad sellers. But as someone said, anyone can sell on ebay.
One torn shirt came from a consignment store! So this person sells ripped clothing in her store.
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Op have some sort bad luck magnet.
One sale a day, tomorrow the entire Galaxy!
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

How innane.
Some sellers are selling junk and lying about its condition.
That you call their dishonesty "bad luck" says a lot about you.
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

SUSAN...

Huh!  I have been  buying  used clothing on  here   for many, many years.  And I have never received anything that was  stained or torn.Smiley Surprised  You must be buying from sellers  who have bad records.  Look for sellers  whose overall Feedback Score is 99.6%  or  above. (stay away from those whose overall   scores are down around 95%. ---or lower. )

Since your main problem  has been  poor condition----- also look  at the seller's DSR average   rating on the attribute---Item as described.    Look for a   5.0  or a 4.9---or maybe--a 4.8

Once you start doing that---you will find  almost  everything you receive   will be nice.Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I didn't know about the DSR rating. Thanks, that's very helpful!
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I agree! A sellers feedback rating should at least be 98.6 or body temp is my cut off unless the feedback is concerning.
I read the first several pages of feedback. I don't just look at red or green. There's a lot of info in FB.
You can find great used & vintage clothing here. I don't think you should stop buying, just be more careful & ask questions.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

MG...

Actually I almost    never    ask  questions  about clothing..  If seller has  not included   all the informationI  expect  in  her Description (for instance, measurements, fabric content  and  condition.----then I do not trust her--and I hit the back button.Smiley Frustrated

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Same here, I just recieved 1 of 2 Five nights at freddy's golden bear that are counterfeit. No reply from seller so I had to do a paypal. That's 1

I was buying from Goodwill of san fransisco, at first they are great, no problems of course that was books and a toy, then I seen two items I loved of course breakables, 1 came in pc's contacted them they sent photos they gave a full refund, okay second was a Murano rooster supose to been 12'' turn out to be 9'' but that wasn't the problem it was a repaired item you can see where it was glued has a sharp part where a chip wasn't glued back and one wing has a huge chip, so wife called being nice then I contacted them and was blocked so I called on my cell they made up some **bleep** that my wife said something about disabled people, Us!  a child with down sydrone and wife a disabled mental health counselor. Yeah sure.. When I told them that was slanderous, he then said he'd give a partical, I said okay since it is suppose to go to charity, but next thing they want the item, well our printer is broke, I on base am not allowed to use the printer for personal usee, so I called ebay since they blocked us from communications and told them to send it to us snail mail.. So far nothing so I closed that and opened a paypal as suggested by my bank.. Waiting to hear.. that's not all this so called charity has sent me American dolls they stated were 20'' well they are 12'' the orginal mini's. I paid 160 for 2 mini's.. Oh found out they are inflating my shipping charges of 25% to 30%  learned my lesson from them.. 

And the pandora's out of 8 I ordered turned out 5 were authentic. 

Ebay is allowing this **bleep**.. 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Yes, it is about as bad as I've ever seen it.  I used to look forward to opening my eBay purchases.  Now I dread it!....thinking I wonder what is going to be wrong with this one!  eBay needs to clean house and get rid of sellers with so many items not as described complaints.  And many sellers act like they could care less, taking weeks to even ship your item.  If not for the eBay protection policy, I WOULD NOT be buying anything here.  I just wish they would weed out some of the worthless, deadbeat sellers.  Rarely does an eBay seller impress me anymore.  It's a shame becuase there used to be lots of good ones here.  

forget complaining here though.  The seller cavalry will show up right after a seller complaint thread shows up and will start attacking the buyers who are complaining.  This discussion board is probably 90% sellers, and many of the ones that troll this board are really nasty.  They think buyers should just bow down to the sellers and live with what they are sent.  They have a very low regard for buyers.  They literally hate their customers.  

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 15 of 15
latest reply