cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search results display then change in a flash

Lately when I search any search almost, the results display on the page and then they change before I can click or read anything. 

I see the pictures,  the results come up fine, then they change and new results display fine.  I can't always read the titles, but I refresh it does the same magic act. 

if I tell the browser to stop on the first display, they change anyway,.  

if I am really fast to click the first listing on the first display, I can go to the item and there is nothing to indicate a problem or that it is outside my search parameters.  

Most of the time I ignore it but sometimes there is an item on that first list I am really interested in. 

Why does it do that?  Here's some of my thoughts and questions, maybe someone knows what is behind the magic trick in the search results.

Are their servers too slow at hiding the results eBay doesn't want us to see?  Is the first list the true search results before eBay filters them? 

I am wondering if that is why sometimes I make no sales for a few days,  then once I promote a few I start selling other things.  Is eBay filtering my listings?  it is kind of strange i can see some listings for a second then get a different list in a flash,  Shouldn't that be "invisible" when I search? 

I don't buy into conspiracy theories and would like to believe this is just an accident or error that is benign.  But it is consistent . 

Kevin A
Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Are you using an ad blocker?

If so, what you may be seeing is the ad blocker eliminating all the sponsored listings from your search results in real time.

Try the search with and without the ad blocker; I think you will find that the sponsored listings are the ones that are different.

To really slow the effect down, try opening a dozen searches in different tabs and then reload all tabs at the same time.

By the way, if you use an ad blocker and also use the "Best Match" sort, you may miss those sponsored listings entirely. Try another sort instead, and if the sponsored version is removed, the non-sponsored "organic" listing should remain and sort correctly. In "Best Match" the organic version is not guaranteed to appear if the sponsored listing is rated higher in the sort.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

no, I still see sponsored ltems and sometimes the disappearing item appears further down the page.  It is possible my ad blocker is doing it though.  I'll check the settings and/or try another browser to see what happens.  thanks for the suggestion!

Kevin A
Message 3 of 3
latest reply