cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it ok, as a buyer, to ship a package for a seller if they send me the label?

I purchased an item, tracking never went anywhere except label created/USPS awaiting item. I messaged the seller who then shipped out a replacement saying that the first one probably got lost somewhere. 

A day after the second package was showing on it's way via tracking, the first package finally showed up in USPS' system. Which means both are now coming my way, due early next week. 

The seller would like to send me a label and have me send one of them on to another buyer, instead of back to the seller. I don't have an issue with doing so, as long as it is permissable under eBay's guidelines. Is it? Am presuming here that I won't have any liability to the seller, or the other buyer, once I ship it out, correct? If it's a label made by the original seller, sent to me, and printed out from eBay's site? 

Anyone know for certain if it's okey to do this? Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

The seller is taking all the risk there. As long as the label has the sellers return address, you should be safe.

Just keep all correspondence between you and the seller and a copy of the label.  I'd also get a receipt from the PO when you mail it.  The seller is lucky to have you as a buyer.

Thank you for the info. I've only needed to return one item before (for a refund) and that one I just sent back to the seller, so I'm kind of lost here.

Another question ... the tracking number on the original package has now changed to the new tracking number on My Purchases on eBay, so do I send on the original package, the original tracking number? 

So as long as all our correspondences are thru eBay's site, I make a copy of the label, the label has the seller's return address on it, and I get a mailing receipt - can I get one if I didn't pay for the label? ... I should be okey then? 

The original package is going to be getting to me over a week later then it should have, so there's a good chance it will be late getting to the other buyer also, even with me sending it on. I just don't want to wind up meshed in a disagreement of some sort between the seller and other buyer a week or two from now. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@magbenv0 

After you receive the first item, I would just refuse the second and let USPS ship it back to the seller.

I'd be a little ticked if the seller shared my name and address with another buyer.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@magbenv0,

Forward which ever item you wish, the seller has to know that the package you are forwarding will arrive late, and it will be on him if he shipped his last item to replace the missing one, and not changing the number available on the listing. 

As both a buyer and seller I have been in this situation. As a buyer I had no problem forwarding.  Fortunately, when it happened the one time as a seller, I too had an understanding buyer who worked with me. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 5
latest reply